Our trip was March 30 - April 6 with 2 adults and two young childrent (2 and 5)
Upon check in, we were told our junior ste was not available and we'd get an ocean front upgrade for one night. The room was great and near the end of the strip of rooms, so fairly quiet. We didn't want to move but were forced to as someone else needed the room ( we offered to pay more, but no go). After a whole lot of drama with the new room not being ready and our key no longer working to the old room to get our stuff out of the safe and a whole lot of complaint, we were comped two 25 min massages, which made us happy. The new room was on the third floor by the elevator, street side and was so quiet. Only downfall to these rooms were that there were no tubs to bathe our young ones in.
Pool is tiny and no chairs available after about 7 am or earlier. On our last day we set our alarm for 6 am to save 4 loungers and when we went an hour later, someone had stolen them!! After an outburst from my husband and the pool boy confirming they indeed were ours, we got them back! How absurd that the chairs have to be saved that early and lots are even left empty half the day!
Restaurants - only one buffet, two al a cartes, a 24 hr snack bar and the grill at the beach. The buffet for breakfast is great, lunch and dinner does not offer kids choices, but if you asked for nuggets or something, they would bring it, but you'd end up waiting a long time sometimes. The beach grill was pretty good for lunch, but dispose of your uneaten food or you'd get dive bombed by birds!!!! The lunch time buffet is the only time ice cream was offered; nothing for dinner dessert. The 24 hr was not really worth it for decent food... snacks is really all you get.. but is good for drinks, etc.
The beach has tons of chairs for sun tanning, but is awful for swimming - the sandbags are ugly and beach is covered in seaweed and is rocky.
The kids club would only take our 5 yr old but not our 2 year old, which was pointless, so we didn't use it.
We celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary and on our special day we were pleasantly surprised by chocolate covered strawberries and champagne to our room in the morning; then cake and champage later that day. They set us up on the garden outside the restaurant for a romantic dinner (which I might add, other guests were ignorant too as they would walk out a non exit door and let their kids run circles around our dinner table!!). Rebeka at the Albatros is just wonderful. In fact, all the staff were wonderful and I cannot say enough about them!
Overall, the hotel was nice, the food was decent; but as the beach was not worthy of swimming in and the entire resort was NOT that kid friendly (I forgot to mention that there was at least two huge groups of about 14 kids averaging 16 - 17 years old drunk everyday), we'd not stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On a beautiful, protected stretch of pristine beach in the heart of Playa del Carmen stands the spectacular Gran Porto Resort, just steps from Fifth Avenue's shops, clubs, and restaurants. Architecturally reminiscent of one of Mexico's finest haciendas, the resort welcomes couples, families, friends, and colleagues to the warm Caribbean breezes and azure seas of the Riviera Maya, where guests can experience the region's cultural heritage, relish all-inclusive luxuries, and enjoy genuine hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia APAC, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Hotels.com, Nozio Netplan srl, lastminute.com.au, Wotif.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Gran Porto Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Porto Real Hotel
- Gran Porto Real Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel Gran Porto Real
- Gran Porto Real Resort Spa
- Porto Real
- Grand Porto Real Playa Del Carmen
- Gran Porto Real Mexico
- Gran Porto Resort Playa Del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico