Mahekal Beach Resort
  • Pool
USD 605*
USD 589*
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
USD 385*
USD 286*
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Petit Lafitte(Playa del Carmen)
USD 237*
USD 194*
USD 285*
USD 227*
Melia.com
USD 974*
USD 519*
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
USD 846*
USD 719*
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
USD 1,434*
USD 922*
Bookit.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
USD 562*
USD 456*
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
USD 439*
USD 306*
3,172 results
All reviewsshangri la caribehalf boardfuego restaurantpalapa stylegarden viewlas olasbreakfast and dinnerlas palapaspalapa roofocean frontping ponginfinity poolfifth avenuepalm treesthe wait staffcevichebug spray
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Mahekal Beach Resort and chose this place after reading reviews from this site...Although my stay was pleasant and relaxing I would like to make other travelers aware of my pros and cons....
Pros first...
A great beach location approximately 6 blocks down and off of the main Calle street.
The beach was very clean and pretty - for guests only
Many palapalas for shade and lounge chaises
Beach towels provided
Two pools - one on each side of resort
Casitas very, very clean - maids were wonderful
Nice landscaping -

Cons...
THIS IS NOT A RESORT FOR A SINGLE WOMAN
Other reviews failed to mention that this is prodominately a FAMILY resort
70% families with many children - there are craft areas for the children in the ONLY bar area
10% lesbian
10% gay men couples
10% hetro sexual couples
Children ran rapid all over the place, I had to change rooms the second day...
The message I paid for was not even wrth it due to the noise of all the kids running in and out of peoples casita's terraces..
No small frig.
You could not evenget a coke until 8am when the Breakfast restaurant opened
Although I was told that there was a beach bar waiter - I never saw one in the 5 days that I was there.
Food was horrible and you felt like attle being trodded in...
Would I go back and stay there again, No....I do not plan on going back to Mexico after witnessing a brutal beating by the Policia on a young man right up the street from the resort in the middle of the day - it was terrifying

Room Tip: If you are a couple - facing the beach - stay in a casita to the right side and 3rd row on the side of bar area...or stay on the side of large pool but in the 3rd floor casita facing beach
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank lettucecook
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My daugther's wedding was celebrated in early March 2012. To begin with, the place offers unmatched natural beauty but what really makes the greatest difference is the people from Mahekal.
From the initial planning visit to the actual celebration, we experienced the warmest welcome and everyone made us feel at home. The entire team tranformed what normally is a very stressful situation into a very pleasant one. We are very thankful for the kidness and without a doubt, we plan to come back to enjoy such a great example of Riviera Maya hospitality. Muchas gracias a todos !!!
Maybe what describes our experience best is that as we were saying good bye to those visiting for the event, what we heard most was something like: "We had a wondeful time and we simply don't want to leave".

Room Tip: Our favorite is Aventura side
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Victoria C, Director of Sales at Mahekal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear PJC0598,

Thank you for posting your experience on Trip Advisor. We were really pleased to host your daughter´s wedding at our lovely resort sharing with you and your friends such a special ocassion. We are pleased to know that all our efforts filled all your expectations and we really hope that you and your lovely family come back again in the future. Thank you also for your comments regarding our staff, they for sure are our best asset, and we will share your special thanks to everyone.We certianly hope to have Gaby and Bill celebrate their future anniversary with us!

Warm regards from sunny Playa del Carmen!

Victoria Campos
Director of Sales & Marketing
Mahékal Beach Resort

Reviewed 1 April 2012

This is the most beautiful place I have ever stayed. We has an ocean view room which was a one minute stroll to the ocean. Our palapa was a single so we had no noise from strangers. We never had a problem grabbing a spot underneath the straw umbrellas at the beach no matter what time we got there in the morning. 5th avenue was very close and we felt safe going to and from.The food was so so. The food they offered at breakfast was the same everyday which was a disapointment to my husband but not to me. We both agreed that the service at breakfast was terrible. The waiters in the am acted like they were not awake yet. Slow and unfriendly. the place was very clean and the maid service was excellent. We left gratuity everyday and It showed that they appreciated it. The beds were very comfortable and the sound of the birds in the morning was beautiful. Although the birds were loud, we managed to sleep one morning until 0900. The bar was unexciting. At happy hour the bartender was not friendly at all,. I think he was too busy. All in all I would reccomend this resort. The tranquility of the experience outweighs the service and food.

Room Tip: Ocean view was beautiful and quiet
1  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Since our first trip to Mahekal in July of 2010 we have been looking forward to returning and we finally got there last week for a wonderfully tranquil 7 days.Since our first trip to Mahekal was completely flawless, I admit that I was a bit worried and tried to have realistic expectations. I was pleasantly surprised to find consistency if not improvement throughout. The property, the staff and the overall experience was once again perfect! It was a treat to reacquaint with the wonderful staff and waiters from our last trip. They are all such nice people and apparently are loyal employees which I think says something very positive about the management.
The incredible beach setting speaks for itself but there are a few details that you can't see in a photograph. Every morning there are men raking the beach keeping it as free of seaweed and debris as possible. There are security guards on the beach all day and night policing the beach chairs and the entrances to the property making it impossible for passers by to gain entry or use of the pools. They are awesome! My favorite part is that there are no cell phones ringing! This is a vacation in and of itself! We love the fact that there are no televisions and limited wifi. Being "unplugged" for 7 days is truly heaven! We bought a very limited text plan and turned on the phone twice to see if any important texts had come in. Everyone back home had the hotel phone number and we knew that if there was an emergency they would call the desk and someone could find us.
We had a very comfortable king size bed on the second floor of an ocean view room.We slept with the windows open so that we could be lulled to sleep by the crashing surf. It was heaven being awakened by the birds at sunrise. I enjoyed laying on the hammock watching the sun come up. Breakfast served on the deck overlooking the beach is an absolute treat. The poblano omelet is delicious! Our days were spent reading and relaxing, going from beach to hammock to pool to happy hour!. I enjoyed staying and ordering from the lunch menu and going out for dinner. They make this wonderful garlic sauce that they serve with fresh salsa and homemade chips. Dinner is improved since our last trip and the dining room is beautiful.We would walk just a few blocks to 5th and right in the neighborhood there are some very special restaurants. I wouldn't miss the opportunity to experience this place, unless you're looking for swim up bars and big buffets. If you need to get away from it all and want to visit a little piece of heaven on earth, go to Mahekal.

3  Thank mimiv221
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We just got back from 8 nights at Mahekal. If your usual level of accomadation is the Four Seasons or Ritz, please go directly to their websites. Still reading? Good. This place is on the best section of beach in Playa. We stayed in an ocean front room, but if your budget says "garden view," please go ahead and make a reservation. The grounds are much better than the pictures and the garden view rooms are actually quieter.

Now some important points: The beach in the town of Playa is totally public. It's a very mixed group of wonderful people and a number of families. Pretty much everyone will feel comfortable.

Regarding the ocean front room: The ocean is very audible in the ocean front rooms at night. If you're a very light sleeper, or not accustomed to really hearing the ocean at night, you may want to consider an ocean view instead.

The staff: They're all very friendly and helpful. But do yourself a favor and get 20 and 50 peso bills. Tips left on the hotel bill don't necessarily mean better service.

The rooms: immaculate. They are a little rustic in that there are heavy duty wooden shutters in parts in lieu of glass. However, that is traditional and doesn't make it more noisy or less air-conditioned.

Now the honest part: The food is sort of a work in progress. They were trying a mixed menu (one fixed for the meal plan and another with supplimental charges). The breakfast was very good, but sometimes the service seemed a little overwhelmed. Lunches are generally better and what we chose. The two times we had dinner, it was okay, not great. Given the number of great places to eat on 5th, I'd recommend trying them (like Origins across from the main entrance).

And the bar....the one with the swings was okay, but one bartender struggled to make a margarita that wasn't sweet. The pool bar was better (where you have breakast - 2 for 1 happy hour).

The smell: yes, people have mentioned it here so I'll address it. Unless you are EXTREMELY sensitive to smells (perfume, etc), you honestly won't notice it. However, it did rain one night while we were having dinner well west of 5th Ave (El 10 - Argentine steak house) and WELL away from the beach and that was when it was most noticeable. I have no reason whatsoever to believe there is any problem with the quality of the ocean water. Don't worry about it.

Over all, I'd definatley recommend this place, even if you only stay in a garden view room. You'll have a great beach, nice people, a very nice room and a short walk into town.

Room Tip: Playa 35. Garden view rooms on the second floor would be best too. The penthouse, if you can afford it, would be great. No need for a delux room.
2  Thank bumper1965