I loved the whole experience there. First thing my girlfriend and I did was to get massages at the Spa. They are totally affordable and Gabriel was awesome. I honestly felt asleep a couple times and one time I think i snorted a bit.
The dinner were also really good. The whole mood of the night is just right and really the food is great. I don't eat a lot but that trip I couldn't stop myself from eating. They had food for all diets, e.g. vegetarian, vegan, etc.
The hotel staff were all very nice and helpful. The waiters were very friendly and courteous. The cleaning crew were thorough clean and creative when decorating the room. A couple times I left my smart phone charging out and about and always came back to find it exactly how I left it. Boli, the concierge, was also *very* helpful. He gave us a very detailed, hand made map for a trip he suggested we take since we had a rental car. The day trip itself was awesome and the map was clear and we never got lost. Muchas gracias, Boli!
The beach itself was very nice and clean and not very crowded and the water was very refreshing. The moment I walked on the beach I fell in love with the site and made it my goal to move there sometime soon!
Not everything was perfect, though:
I paid a good amount for an Ocean View room. Unfortunately the view from my room was very limited. The roofs and vegetation blocked about 90% of the view, I felt kind of ripped off there. I didn't complain as I didn't want to go through the hassle, but it's definitely something I'll keep in mind when booking a room with them in the future.
All in all, it was an AWESOME stay. I loved everything about it. I will definitely try and make it back again soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Wotif.com, Expedia APAC, lastminute.com.au, Priceline, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Odigeo, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Playa Del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico