“Wish I could live here.”

Mahekal Beach Resort
Ranked #29 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Wish I could live here.”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I loved the whole experience there. First thing my girlfriend and I did was to get massages at the Spa. They are totally affordable and Gabriel was awesome. I honestly felt asleep a couple times and one time I think i snorted a bit.

The dinner were also really good. The whole mood of the night is just right and really the food is great. I don't eat a lot but that trip I couldn't stop myself from eating. They had food for all diets, e.g. vegetarian, vegan, etc.

The hotel staff were all very nice and helpful. The waiters were very friendly and courteous. The cleaning crew were thorough clean and creative when decorating the room. A couple times I left my smart phone charging out and about and always came back to find it exactly how I left it. Boli, the concierge, was also *very* helpful. He gave us a very detailed, hand made map for a trip he suggested we take since we had a rental car. The day trip itself was awesome and the map was clear and we never got lost. Muchas gracias, Boli!

The beach itself was very nice and clean and not very crowded and the water was very refreshing. The moment I walked on the beach I fell in love with the site and made it my goal to move there sometime soon!

Not everything was perfect, though:
I paid a good amount for an Ocean View room. Unfortunately the view from my room was very limited. The roofs and vegetation blocked about 90% of the view, I felt kind of ripped off there. I didn't complain as I didn't want to go through the hassle, but it's definitely something I'll keep in mind when booking a room with them in the future.

All in all, it was an AWESOME stay. I loved everything about it. I will definitely try and make it back again soon!

Room Tip: Don't get 10P, I got 10P. If you can do everything to change it! It's an Ocean View room, bu...
1 Thank Edgardo A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Mahekal Beach Resort and chose this place after reading reviews from this site...Although my stay was pleasant and relaxing I would like to make other travelers aware of my pros and cons....
Pros first...
A great beach location approximately 6 blocks down and off of the main Calle street.
The beach was very clean and pretty - for guests only
Many palapalas for shade and lounge chaises
Beach towels provided
Two pools - one on each side of resort
Casitas very, very clean - maids were wonderful
Nice landscaping -

Cons...
THIS IS NOT A RESORT FOR A SINGLE WOMAN
Other reviews failed to mention that this is prodominately a FAMILY resort
70% families with many children - there are craft areas for the children in the ONLY bar area
10% lesbian
10% gay men couples
10% hetro sexual couples
Children ran rapid all over the place, I had to change rooms the second day...
The message I paid for was not even wrth it due to the noise of all the kids running in and out of peoples casita's terraces..
No small frig.
You could not evenget a coke until 8am when the Breakfast restaurant opened
Although I was told that there was a beach bar waiter - I never saw one in the 5 days that I was there.
Food was horrible and you felt like attle being trodded in...
Would I go back and stay there again, No....I do not plan on going back to Mexico after witnessing a brutal beating by the Policia on a young man right up the street from the resort in the middle of the day - it was terrifying

Room Tip: If you are a couple - facing the beach - stay in a casita to the right side and 3rd row on the side...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank lettucecook
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My daugther's wedding was celebrated in early March 2012. To begin with, the place offers unmatched natural beauty but what really makes the greatest difference is the people from Mahekal.
From the initial planning visit to the actual celebration, we experienced the warmest welcome and everyone made us feel at home. The entire team tranformed what normally is a very stressful situation into a very pleasant one. We are very thankful for the kidness and without a doubt, we plan to come back to enjoy such a great example of Riviera Maya hospitality. Muchas gracias a todos !!!
Maybe what describes our experience best is that as we were saying good bye to those visiting for the event, what we heard most was something like: "We had a wondeful time and we simply don't want to leave".

Room Tip: Our favorite is Aventura side
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Victoria C, Director of Sales at Mahekal Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear PJC0598,

Thank you for posting your experience on Trip Advisor. We were really pleased to host your daughter´s wedding at our lovely resort sharing with you and your friends such a special ocassion. We are pleased to know that all our efforts filled all your expectations and we really hope that you and your lovely family come back again in the future. Thank you also for your comments regarding our staff, they for sure are our best asset, and we will share your special thanks to everyone.We certianly hope to have Gaby and Bill celebrate their future anniversary with us!

Warm regards from sunny Playa del Carmen!

Victoria Campos
Director of Sales & Marketing
Mahékal Beach Resort
Mansfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This is the most beautiful place I have ever stayed. We has an ocean view room which was a one minute stroll to the ocean. Our palapa was a single so we had no noise from strangers. We never had a problem grabbing a spot underneath the straw umbrellas at the beach no matter what time we got there in the morning. 5th avenue was very close and we felt safe going to and from.The food was so so. The food they offered at breakfast was the same everyday which was a disapointment to my husband but not to me. We both agreed that the service at breakfast was terrible. The waiters in the am acted like they were not awake yet. Slow and unfriendly. the place was very clean and the maid service was excellent. We left gratuity everyday and It showed that they appreciated it. The beds were very comfortable and the sound of the birds in the morning was beautiful. Although the birds were loud, we managed to sleep one morning until 0900. The bar was unexciting. At happy hour the bartender was not friendly at all,. I think he was too busy. All in all I would reccomend this resort. The tranquility of the experience outweighs the service and food.

Room Tip: Ocean view was beautiful and quiet
1 Thank Lisa M
Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Since our first trip to Mahekal in July of 2010 we have been looking forward to returning and we finally got there last week for a wonderfully tranquil 7 days.Since our first trip to Mahekal was completely flawless, I admit that I was a bit worried and tried to have realistic expectations. I was pleasantly surprised to find consistency if not improvement throughout. The property, the staff and the overall experience was once again perfect! It was a treat to reacquaint with the wonderful staff and waiters from our last trip. They are all such nice people and apparently are loyal employees which I think says something very positive about the management.
The incredible beach setting speaks for itself but there are a few details that you can't see in a photograph. Every morning there are men raking the beach keeping it as free of seaweed and debris as possible. There are security guards on the beach all day and night policing the beach chairs and the entrances to the property making it impossible for passers by to gain entry or use of the pools. They are awesome! My favorite part is that there are no cell phones ringing! This is a vacation in and of itself! We love the fact that there are no televisions and limited wifi. Being "unplugged" for 7 days is truly heaven! We bought a very limited text plan and turned on the phone twice to see if any important texts had come in. Everyone back home had the hotel phone number and we knew that if there was an emergency they would call the desk and someone could find us.
We had a very comfortable king size bed on the second floor of an ocean view room.We slept with the windows open so that we could be lulled to sleep by the crashing surf. It was heaven being awakened by the birds at sunrise. I enjoyed laying on the hammock watching the sun come up. Breakfast served on the deck overlooking the beach is an absolute treat. The poblano omelet is delicious! Our days were spent reading and relaxing, going from beach to hammock to pool to happy hour!. I enjoyed staying and ordering from the lunch menu and going out for dinner. They make this wonderful garlic sauce that they serve with fresh salsa and homemade chips. Dinner is improved since our last trip and the dining room is beautiful.We would walk just a few blocks to 5th and right in the neighborhood there are some very special restaurants. I wouldn't miss the opportunity to experience this place, unless you're looking for swim up bars and big buffets. If you need to get away from it all and want to visit a little piece of heaven on earth, go to Mahekal.

3 Thank mimiv221