I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Mahekal Beach Resort and chose this place after reading reviews from this site...Although my stay was pleasant and relaxing I would like to make other travelers aware of my pros and cons....
A great beach location approximately 6 blocks down and off of the main Calle street.
The beach was very clean and pretty - for guests only
Many palapalas for shade and lounge chaises
Beach towels provided
Two pools - one on each side of resort
Casitas very, very clean - maids were wonderful
Nice landscaping -
THIS IS NOT A RESORT FOR A SINGLE WOMAN
Other reviews failed to mention that this is prodominately a FAMILY resort
70% families with many children - there are craft areas for the children in the ONLY bar area
10% gay men couples
10% hetro sexual couples
Children ran rapid all over the place, I had to change rooms the second day...
The message I paid for was not even wrth it due to the noise of all the kids running in and out of peoples casita's terraces..
No small frig.
You could not evenget a coke until 8am when the Breakfast restaurant opened
Although I was told that there was a beach bar waiter - I never saw one in the 5 days that I was there.
Food was horrible and you felt like attle being trodded in...
Would I go back and stay there again, No....I do not plan on going back to Mexico after witnessing a brutal beating by the Policia on a young man right up the street from the resort in the middle of the day - it was terrifying
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, lastminute.com.au, Priceline, Wotif.com, Odigeo, Hooroo Pty Ltd, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Playa Del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico