I've just returned from a 5 night stay at La Tortuga and would highly recommend the hotel if you want a good independent experience. I was particularly keen to avoid the "all-inclusive, resort hotel" route and my decision proved right.
La Tortuga benefits from a prime location just behind the popular bars and restaurants of 5th Avenue. During the day it's oasis of tranquility with a very private and seluded pool area which is ideal for quiet relaxing. Yes, a lot of the pool area is shaded but if it's sun and sand you're after then the hotel has reciprocal arrangements with Zenzi Beach and Mamitas. Personally, I'd go for Zenzi Beach. There is a minimum spend for 200 pesos per person but with food and drinks you'll easily hit it. More to the point the food at Zenzi is excellent (some of the best Ceviche we ate).
Back to La Tortuga, we had a Junior Suite (305) with a lovely roof terrace and jacuzzi bath which was ideal for night time drinks or daytime lounging. The room was spacious and the beds were extremely comfortable.
I noticed that some reviewers commented on the state of the towels in the bathroom which are a little threadbare but this is a minor detail. I would also point out that there is noise from the local nightclubs (Coco Bongo and Palazzo) which can be heard into the small hours into the morning so if you are alight sleeper it would be advisable to bring earplugs.
The hotel staff are extremely polite and only too pleased to help. We took a recommendation from Laura on reception to go to a local eatery called "El Fogon"...mark my words this place is aweosme!! Forget fine dining! This is an authentic mexican experience and should not be missed.
Overall I'd have to recommend La Tortuga.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, two blocks from the beach and just around the corner from 5th Avenue. Air conditioning, Cable TV, telephone, fan, private bath or shower, bathroom amenity kit, safety box, hair dryer, coffee maker,minibar. Junior Suites and Superior Junior suites feature a Jacuzzi indoors or Rooftop, bath robes, slippers, flat screen tv. Spa services, Pool bar, happy hour, wifi, onsite restaurant Como Como Osteria Mediterranea, solarium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Expedia APAC, Agoda, Hotels.com, lastminute.com.au, Wotif.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your La Tortuga Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Tortuga Hotel And Spa
- La Tortuga Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- La Tortuga Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel La Tortuga
- La Tortuga Hotel & Spa Playa Del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico