We just got back from 7 nights at La Tortuga. This was our first venture into a non-all inclusive in Playa, and we loved it! After reading the reviews, we were a little worried about the noise, but we heard no noises the whole week we were there. We were in a swim-up room (#108), so we were on the opposite side of the hotel from Coco Bongo, however. If you are worried about noise, ask for a room by the bar/lounge. Ours was right next to it and very quiet.
The service was incredible - our airport transfer was on time, fast and friendly (we landed at 5:20am, and were on the beach in Playa by 7:30am). No matter, from breakfast to happy hour, door men to check-in, to hanging out by the pool, -- they took care of our every need. The day we lounged by the pool, they skimmed and vacuumed it three times.
As for the negatives listed by other reviewers (besides the noise), every hotel we've ever stayed at in Mexico has smelled a little musty. It's pretty normal for rooms that stay tightly closed all day in humid conditions. And as for towels, we were usually given 2 bath towels and one hand towel. When we called to ask for more, however, they were delivered promptly.
Being so close to 5th Avenue is the best part, and though Mamitas is a bit of a walk, we preferred it to Zenzi. If you go early (I usually went around 8am), there was no foot traffic on 5th, so it took me less than 10 minutes. The beach/water is far better at Mamitas, and their shrimp cocktail is marvelous.
We only have good things to say about La Tortuga, and next time we are in the mood for a non-all inclusive, we will definitely stay there!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, two blocks from the beach and just around the corner from 5th Avenue. Air conditioning, Cable TV, telephone, fan, private bath or shower, bathroom amenity kit, safety box, hair dryer, coffee maker,minibar. Junior Suites and Superior Junior suites feature a Jacuzzi indoors or Rooftop, bath robes, slippers, flat screen tv. Spa services, Pool bar, happy hour, wifi, onsite restaurant Como Como Osteria Mediterranea, solarium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, lastminute.com.au, Wotif.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Expedia APAC, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your La Tortuga Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Tortuga Hotel And Spa
- La Tortuga Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- La Tortuga Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel La Tortuga
- La Tortuga Hotel & Spa Playa Del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico