“Safe resort, beautiful beach, wonderful staff.”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #24 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Outstanding. This is a safe, beautiful all-inclusive with a spectacular beach, great rooms and a very dedicated staff. To get to 5th Ave. for shopping, exit the resort main entry and cut through the parking lot on the right (north side) and walk through the square to the street...literally two minutes away. Don't miss a walk over in the evening when 5th comes alive with music. We booked two rooms, one ocean front and one for our adult children in the back. Ocean front rooms have spectacular views but there is loud music in the evening, so for a quiet night, just close your balcony doors and you'll have silence. Back rooms have great WiFi reception and are always quiet. After a few nights, we used points to upgrade our adult children to ocean front and they enjoyed an ocean front suite for the rest of the stay. Our hotel credit points were used for spa visits, upgraded wine, the room upgrade, and lobster dinner on the pool deck. We actually didn't even use all our hotel points. We watched the Cozumel ferry quietly dock, release foot passengers and then load the next passengers to travel back to Cozumel....all day long. It was entertaining. We watched the sky divers demonstrate their skill at manouvering their parachutes to land in the same spot each time...with a delighted tourist attached for the ride. The beach is spectacular. We ordered lunch on the beach twice...delicious quesidillas, pizza, club house sandwiches and Caesar salads. The Italian restaurant is elegant with the largest wine rack wall we'd ever seen. Eat there at least once. The Mexican restaurant had a different theme every night and a good variety of food to choose from. The staff were always helpful and they really work hard. We were all very happy to tip them and enjoyed hearing about their lives.
This was our fifth trip to the area but first time to the Playacar Palace. Our son proposed to his girlfriend during a moonlit walk along the beach the first night of our stay. This resort will always be a special place to us now and we highly recommend it.

Room Tip: -ocean front are beautiful but noisier-just close the balcony door for silence. -back of hotel is v...
5  Thank travelhappy003

Reviewed 4 April 2012

This property is beautiful and well kept. We spent more than a week there and really got to know some of the staff. Juana and Marco out on the beach serving in the VIP area, were AMAZING. They provided a service with a smile each and every day. Erika in the lobby bar in the evening was very attentive and friendly, even remembering the drinks we liked. Manuel handled our bags when we arrived and never forgot our names and welcomed us each day with a smile and suggestions as to where to go into town. A must experience for everyone!!

2  Thank TTK1231
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I read through alot of Trip Advisor reviews before booking our wedding at Playacar Palace, March 29th, 2012. I have never written a review before, but feel it is my obligation to the Playacar Palace Hotel and their wonderful staff to relay to everyone what an amazing job they did, exceeding our expectations in every way possible.

We have traveled to the Dominican once and Jamaica once before, but had never been to Mexico.
Many of the people on our trip (40 in total) had never been on a hot vacation before, let alone gone to Mexico. I am sure most would tell you it was the time of their life.

I can only echo any and every good comment that precedes mine. Any negative reviews I have read would lead me to infer that these people were miserably unhappy people, who do not enjoy life.

Some of the things that might separate this resort from others are (in no particular order):

-Location is literally 30 second walk to 5th Avenue (Shopping, Restaurants, Night Life), Senor Frogs and Ferry to Cozumel.

-The staff seem to outnumber the guests (in a good way) and are very friendly. Impeccable service!!
It is a smaller hotel (only 208 rooms), so that may lend itself to a more personal experience.
I would give names but literally every staff member was a pleasure to be around.

-No reservations required for a the la carte restaurants, (Asian and Italian, both are phenomenal) and if you are a picky eater, just ask they will make you whatever you want.
Also 24 hour room service.

-Food is amazing, something for everyone, I didn't even get to try many things because there was always so many choices. (I can eat and portion size isn't my strong suit)
My younger brother has 2 young kids (3 & 4) with serious gluten allergies and he was worried about what they would be able to eat, again the hotel staff delivered with flying colors.

-Beach is gorgeous, nice sand, nice water to swim, no need to reserve chairs(seaweed is non-issue).

-Resort Credits, "they are who we thought they were". Amazing value, enough good things could not be said about this program. Thoroughly enjoyed by all of our guests. Especially if you like to golf.

-Spa is very nice; used their sauna, cool rain shower, steam room, cool waterfall, hot tub, foot massage tub combo, had a deep tissue massage and felt much relief after, especially since I have a nagging lower-back (fun times). The spa is attached to the pro shop and is about a 3 minute shuttle from the hotel lobby.

-Golf -
I had a hard time finding good information prior to the trip so I will include all I know here.
I have played many nice courses, including most/all Manitoba has to offer, in the Victoria area Bear Mountain, Olympic View, Highland Pacific, Arbutus Ridge, Northview in Surrey, Chaska in Minnesota, Guavaberry in the Dominican.
We did not make it to the Cancun area to play the 27-hole and 18-hole Jack Nicklaus courses that were also included, but I am sure they are nice as well.

Playacar Golf Course - This course will not leave you disappointed.
The front nine is tougher than the back nine (which includes a number of short par 4's). Every hole has character with lots of bunkers, water hazards, nice greens, doglegs (11 is a double-dog, 560 yard par 5). I played this course 3 times from the whites, but they also had blues and blacks for low handicappers and reds for the ladies. Challenging, but definitely playable for all skill levels.

The first round we played the best shot from our foursome, the second round I played my own ball (shot around 89 after going like 10 over par on the first 4 holes, I'm usually low 80's-ish) and last round was 2 on 2 best ball. We had no problem getting tee-times, and used our resort credits to pay for the rounds.
($200 - regular price, $170 - before 7 a.m. and $130 after 1 p.m.)
Also, all your food and drink is part of the all-inclusive. Just ask and you shall receive.

Our last round on Saturday, we had our own cooler full of ice, as many Sol, Dos Equis and water we could fit in there. Ordering spicy caesars that came closer to the real thing than any bloody mary I have ordered outside of Canada. As well as, ordering cheese burgers and clubhouse sandwiches instead of the turkey,ham or roast beef croissant sandwiches (which are also good) usually found on the cart.

Wedding Coordinator - Wilma
I could not say enough good things about Wilma, that would do justice to the wedding experience she has given us. She is professional, hard working, organized and very friendly.
We did not so much as lift a finger, just pick out a few of the details and watch her and her staff make magic happen. Everything about the wedding was perfect and went off without slightest of concerns (apparently I can't spell my middle name).
We had a large audience watching .... as the beautiful bride walked down to the beach.
In the days to follow, I had so many people, including those I hadn't even met, come up to tell me how much they enjoyed our ceremony.
It was undoubtedly the perfect wedding.

(and I was trying to be short with this...... sorry Work)

This experience has made me ask myself if I should start planning group wedding travel on the side, because the experience I had would be very hard to match.

p.s. I did not notice the construction until my 3rd day or so at the hotel, it was in no way a factor during any of our 40 guests stay in various sections of the hotel.

Room Tip: Everyone was completely satisfied with their rooms
11  Thank ABURMISTROV
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Fantastic service. The food and service staff were wonderful! I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing all inclusive stay.

Wish they had none motorized activities for the kids like some of the other resorts. They do provide round trip transportation to the Moon Palace in Cancun but it takes about 40 minutes each way and you have to be ready to come back at 5:00 p.m. or pay $50 for a taxi.

2  Thank David J
Reviewed 1 April 2012

PlayaCar Palace is a wonderful resort. From the time you arrive at the open-air lobby and until your departure day you will experience excellence in all areas of the hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful in making your stay memorable. The food was amazing, such a variety of food and the presentation superb. The activities crew for our entertainment was great. Fania, Rodrigo, Gabriel, and Damaris kept us busy and always laughing. Greta did a great job with yoga in the mornings and was fabulous in teaching the salsa lessons at night. The beach in really nice with a lot chairs for relaxing. The hotel is only a couple of minutes from 5th Ave where you can enjoy shopping or just strolling, enjoying the sights. We have stayed at the PlayaCar Palace many years and would definitely recommend this resort for your next vacation.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#44 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
3.8 km away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!