Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
USD 298*
USD 200*
  • Pool
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
USD 385*
USD 293*
USD 605*
USD 589*
  • Breakfast included
Petit Lafitte(Playa del Carmen)
USD 237*
USD 194*
USD 479*
USD 227*
Melia.com
USD 974*
USD 519*
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
USD 846*
USD 719*
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
USD 276*
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
USD 1,434*
USD 897*
Bookit.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
USD 562*
USD 456*
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
5,196 results
All reviewsstar friendshowler monkeysspecialty restaurantsjungle atmospherejapanese restaurantswim up barthomas cooksports poolother resortsdressel diverstowel hutate at the japanesetenderloingated communitymain buffetmagic showhard beds
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I could write a small book, but I'll spare you. I was frankly skeptical when my wife suggested we go to Mexico with 11 members of our extended family. I'm not a 'sit on the beach' sort of vacationer. Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan made me a believer. Quetzal and Tucan have different lobbies but share the rest of the resort, so to me, they seemed like the same resort.

Accommodations: We upgraded to ocean front with spectacular views and access. I know that's not for everyone, and others in our group made a lesser upgrade and were still thrilled with their rooms. Everything in the room, was perfect. Clean, pretty, functioning, and housekeeping was immaculate. Trouble with the safe one day and front door another, but security was on the spot within 5 minutes each time with the fix.

Food: Buffet food was above average in my experience, and the theme restaurants were terrific. Each of us had a different favorite, which to me says they were all very strong. The snack shack and lunch buffet by the beach were average all-inclusive fare, but great for a quick snack. None of the food was traditional 5 star, but for an all inclusive, more than above average. Our group included two vegans and one severe nut allergy. Chef Alexis actually came out at three separate restaurants to show our niece what was nut-free and safe for her to eat. On one occasion, he prepared a plate just for her. Exceptional caring and service. Our vegans always found something delicious to satisfy their tastes and needs. Even our pizza and chicken finger only child left happy.

Drinks: The lobby bars were stronger than the beach bar, with obviously more skill and selection. Beach drinks were not creative with low alcohol content, as one might expect. A trip to the lobby bar was definitely a step up. Table service was slow, but the drinks were done well. The beach and pool were regularly served by wait staff.

Entertainment: If not world class, certainly exceptional shows for this venue. The house entertainers worked from sun up with games and sports contests, until the final curtain after the 9:30 pm shows. We saw every show and were not disappointed once. Our favorite was probably the rock review, but they were all good. One thing that stood out to me was that the entertainers regularly mingled among the guests through out the day, even asking to join us for lunch one day. Hard to single anyone out, but we got to know Arturo from lunch, and each day he gave a warm and special greeting. Fernanda performed at a special birthday party we planned at additional cost, teaching us salsa with Daniel. She is incredibly talented, and Daniel a great teacher. Melanie would hate if I didn't give her a shout out.

Activities: The pool was fabulous! Large enough to not feel crowded. Like most places, arrive early (by 8 am) if you want the best spots by the pool. Staff did their best to remove towels placed by absentee people, but there was still pretty tight competition for spaces. With 11 in our group, this was a challenge, but we managed to always find adequate space and shade together. We liked the fact that the swim up bar was separate from the main pool, because those patrons were often a little more raucous (and drunk) than we were. But for those who like that there was a place for that. There was adequate wait service around the rest of the pool to keep our drinks refreshed. Much more I could say about water sports, etc. No complaints.

The people: I saved the best for last. I don't know if it was just that the staff was well trained, or that they were just nice. We loved every person we came in contact with. They truly wanted to serve us, and always did it with enthusiasm and a smile. I'm not exaggerating. It was extraordinary. And even though tips were not required, we received the same warm and happy service whether we tipped or did not. It made us want to show our appreciation at every opportunity. Everyone worked hard and kept a great attitude. The people of the resort are truly what made this an exceptional experience for us.

Okay, so I wrote a small book...When we go to Mexico, there is no reason to go anywhere other than Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan.

Room Tip: Rooms closed to the beach and pool are building 10/11 on Tucan side and 19/20 on Quetzal side
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank Jim C
Quality Manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for having stayed at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal as well as taking the time to comment on your recent experience.

We feel honored to know that we earned your preference and that you enjoyed an extraordinary experience at our resort. Being our main goal to provide a memorable vacation to every one of our beloved guests, it pleases us to read how wonderful your stay went and that our staff service stood out and exceeded your expectations.

Thank you for your kind review and please know that we will be looking forward to serve you again in a close future!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My friend and I stayed at the Iberostar Tucan and Quetzal , Playacar from 1st - 11th April. I can only highly compliment all the staff for excellent service and attention we received. from the cleaners to the entertainments team, to Reception and Management.
We had a wonderful holiday, helped by wall to wall sunshine for the entire period.
We met Artur (entertainments) on our second morning who joined us for breakfast like a long lost friend, very sweet, and so keen to learn from us, as well as to let us know what was going on !! He and the others were always stopping to talk to you, seeing that you were enjoying your holiday. Alfonso in Public relations who could be found at the Concierge station by the pool or at Reception.... so pleasant and helpful, and always ready to have a friendly chat with you, and help with any problem you may have. Gladys who gave us a superb massage in one of the jungle cabins... sooooo relaxing. definitely don't leave this to the last days of your holiday... start with a massage!! The Reception girls who had to help us with a medical situation, all the lovely meet and greet girls in the buffet restaurant, and the very attentive waiters and waitresses -- I could go on...... ALL the staff were just brilliant. Not to mention the guys on the beach, all day everyday, clearing the seaweed, (in all that heat !!) If you see them, always thank them and be nice, (theirs is an unenviable task)
It is an ec0-friendly hotel, no straws, recycling places, jungle animals everywhere, which in the main keep themselves to themselves, if you have kids - they will love it. Do take and use mosquito repellent especially for walking in the jungley areas and near water. You don't see them, but they are there!! Also take room plug ins.
The beach is fantastic, very long, gorgeous soft sand, as the sea was a bit rough when we there, it brought in a lot of pretty seaweed, but people were still swimming. And the beach guys were constantly raking it up.(then a digger would come along, make a huge hole and they would bury it !!)
The food and restaurants were full of the most delicious food. for every taste, desserts galore, masses of lovely fresh fruit, and drinks. As much as you wanted. There is more choice/selection in the buffet restaurants, than the A la Carte ones, but they were still very good also. Just loved the Japanese restaurant food.
The pool is huge and meandering, just lovely. The adult pool water was much colder than the main pool, so we didn't want to stay in there for long. !! The small kids play area and pool looked great, but there was not a lot of shade when it was very hot, there was also an indoor centre room where activities took place.
Plenty of toilets around the area, always very cleaned and well looked after.
I had a tattoo painted on my leg by the pool. My first !!! I was told it would only last ten days, but it is still on my legs nearly three weeks later!!!
The Lobby bar was nice and relaxing in the evening if you didn't want to attend the amazing events put on at the Theatre . Saxaphone or guitar players...
There is a Facebook group for Iberostar Tucan y Quetzal Vacation. There are two hotels in one, that share the facilities and restaurants. The Tucan and The Quetzal. pretty much the same facilities for both. Hope you enjoy your holiday as much as we did, you certainly will be looked after in either of the hotels.

Room Tip: Quetzal Block 28. near to Reception and main restaurants,not far to the beach and pool, and lovley animals to see on way there .(5mins walk)
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
6  Thank LindaJoyAllen

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for the opportunity to have hosted you at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

It is truly fantastic to read every positive aspect you have enjoyed on your stay, from our nature wonders, the beautiful wildlife and the delicious food offer to our pleasant entertainment and accommodating facilities. It is of great pride to read that our staff offered you an outstanding service and was worthy of your recognition as we strive to achieve our guests’ complete satisfaction.

It was a pleasure to have served you and we will be looking forward for your return to our hotel!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I absolutely loved this hotel , it’s beautiful, the surroundings are amazing , you feel like you are in a jungle . You can see monkeys jumping up in the trees and iguanas warming up in a sun, peacocks are running around the place, it’s just something else . We went for all inclusive and the food was amazing as well , so much choice and different food every night . Staff was really friendly and helpful.
Every time I visited Iberostar hotels it’s always been really good .
The good thing about this hotel is also that if you decide to visit Cozumel island ( you just get a ferry ) you can also go and visit the other sister Iberostar hotel in there , and have a lunch and a little swim in a pool as well. Just make sure to ask in your hotel before you go , so they can let them know you are coming .
Overall one of the best holidays we had :)

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Asta S
Quality Manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear guest,

It has been a pleasure to have hosted you at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal and we would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience.

Your kind words regarding our facilities, food offering and attentive staff, works as motivation to continue providing the best vacations to our beloved guests.

We are happy that you enjoyed such a memorable time and will be looking forward for the honor of welcoming you again to any of our Hotels & Resorts IBEROSTAR.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Visited the Iberostar Quetzal for Christmas/New year 2018 and honeymoon with my husband and 5 year old boy. This place is absolutely beautiful! The animation team are excellent, they all work so hard. The entertainment throughout the day and at night is amazing! We had the best New Year’s Eve ever! The kids club is fantastic and totally safe. Our little boy loved Fernanda and Ana, they were brilliant with him. Could not not fault the food, always a good selection in the buffet restaurants and the all specialty restaurants were lovely. The best beach we’ve ever been to and the jungle is cool! We were woken up Christmas morning by the Howler monkeys This resort is truly magnificent and we would highly recommend it! Thank you Iberostar Quetzal for making our Christmas /new year/honeymoon perfect

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Christina B

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen IBEROSTRA Tucan & Quetzal to celebrate your holidays and such a special occasion.

We could not be happier to read that your experience was a memorable one and that you greatly enjoyed our beautiful beach and our unique natural surroundings with its charming wildlife.

It was a pleasure to have received you and we will be looking forward for your return!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed with my wife two weeks in march that was amazing holiday beautiful resort with lots of wildlife beautiful rain forest with water falls. We love that noise every morning peacocks monkeys flamingos lovely great huge swimming pool and small swimming pool with bar and water fall. Very friendly staff always ready to help good range of food you'll not be hungry. Hotel offers many different excursions and trips for reasonable price

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darek B

Dear guest,

Thank you for the opportunity to welcome you at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

It pleases us to read that our natural environment and its lovely wildlife were the highlight of your stay as well as the attentive service from our staff.

We truly appreciate your comments and we are hoping for the pleasure to host you again at our resort.

Best regards,