5,503 results
All reviews star friends howler monkeys specialty restaurants jungle atmosphere japanese restaurant swim up bar thomas cook sports pool dressel divers other resorts towel hut ate at the japanese tenderloin main buffet gated community hard beds magic show
Reviewed 17 May 2006

This is my first review for Trip Advisor. I enjoy the information this service provides so here are some details for individuals to know about the Oberostar Quetzal Resort on the Riviera Maya in Mexico.

First the good news. The service at this resort is great. The people are very friendly and the resort itself is beautiful. All the wildlife is just great. The rooms are modest but they have large walk in showers and are clean. The bed was hard but not that bad. I did enjoy the large pool and could always find a sun chair. Thera are quit a few people at this resort. I did hear that they are about 85% full year round. American, Mexican, and European crowd here.

Now the bad new. The food and drinks at this place were not very good. They made alot of drinks with cheap mexican booze and did not offer any top shelf liquor. I was really forced to only drink beer. To me a tropical drink made with cheap booze is not worth drinking. The main bar near the lobby did have Bacardi Rum but you had to request it. The bars by the pool only had rock gut cheap drinks.

The food was a 4 on the 10 scale. They did not offer any green leaf lettuce and fresh vegetables and the menu did not change much. In general the food seemed like it had been frozen before you ate it. This was the same for the resturants as well. Now I have been to other all-inclusive resorts before (Club Med, Sandals) and this place in the area of food does not hold a candle to them. Another thing to know is that there is really no happy hour place to gather at this place. They had a bar in a small pool but not a place on the ocean where you could gather to enjoy a drink and listen to live music. That is a change that would be nice.

The price of this resort is nice but looking back now I wish I would have spent more because some things like drinks and food do make a difference. I hope Trip Advisor readers find this helpful.

13  Thank Hiddenbay2005
Reviewed 16 May 2006

My family and I stayed at the Iberostar Quetzal from April 22-29th, 2006. I am 18 years old, and there were 11 of us total in our group. For the past 4 years we have been the the Iberostar Bavaro in the Dominican Republic which is awesome, but we decided to try someplace new this year...sticking with an iberostar.To start out, our vacation was totally awesome. Thank you Catalina for your help before we even got to the hotel.

Grounds: The grounds were stunning. There was every kind of animal you could think of roaming freely. Peacocks, flamingos,monkeys,iguanas, etc. Everything was spotless and the staff were always cleaning and trimming the grounds. The jungle was very fun to walk through as well.

Staff: The staff was very helpful and friendly. They always had a smile on their face, and many of them remember you through the week. The servers and bartenders were always happy to serve you--, Jose Nacional(?), Aroldo, Marcos,Jeremias,Henry, and many more. They are always happy and work incredibley hard for us...we would always tip at the restaurants and give the bartenders a dollar here and there as they very much deserve that. Now for the Starfriends, they were awesome!...They were up eating breakfast with us at the buffet at 9 in the morning and were doing activities all day by the pool and beach, and then they put on like 2 shows each night, and then we would be in the disco and the starfriends were there as well....I cannot believe how hard they work and they are really what makes the vacation so nice. Special thanks to Luis, Ruben, Angelo, Fabio, Jesus(?) and Catalina. Also the guys who run the watersports(snorkeling and sailboats,etc.) near the dressel diver area were great!! I miss everyone so much, I should have tried to get some of their email addresses.

Beach: The beach was gorgeous. The water was so blue and clear. Little to no seaweed at all...no rocks and it was very clean. The beach was a bit wavy at times but we enjoyed it....also perfect temperature. The sand was white and clean. There are servers who walk around the beach during the day who will get you drinks...they work hard and we would tip them a few dollars every day. We had 2 beach parties while we were there and they were a lot of fun!! There was dancing with the starfriends and the starband and they had paella at the one and the second one they had these kabob things... i highly suggest you dont miss out!!

Pool: The pool here is very big....its very nice. I would only say that the pool water was a bit too warm for my liking as i like it to be cooler and more refreshing. My friend and i took the scuba lessons in the pool which were very fun! they also have dancing near the pool and water aerobics evey day. They also have an adult pool (18+) with a swim up bar and waterfall...very nice.

Food: For breakfast there was the main buffet that we had every morning. It ended at 10am and you could get waffles, omlettes,eggs,pancakes, etc. For lunch we ate around the pool area they had different stuff..hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, chicken, pasta, salads and so on. There was ice cream at the beach bar and also softserve ice cream at the bar where you could get lunch. For dinnerwe tried 3 specialty restaurants and also we at at the buffet for the rest fo the time. The buffet seemed to have a theme every night and had some of the food based on that...they also had regular food like baked chicken which was very good and pastas, etc. I am a picky eater while im on vacation just because i dont want to try new foods im not used to and wind up getting sick, and there was still enough variety for me to get filled up. We tried the italian restaurant (La Góndola) and it was pretty good. They had pastas with red tomato sauce, fetuccine alfredo, veal and other stuff. Our 2nd dinner reservation was at the steakhouse(La Marimba) We had a fun time here. The steak was excellent and you could also get ribs which were delicious. They brought out a blooming onion for an appetizer. After dinner we all did a round of shots (POPPERS!!) with Marcos (Awesome) Our last reservation was for the Japanese (Bonsai). This was quite the experience. You get to sit around the chef and watch him prepare your meal. It was very tasty and the dessert was excellent!! We really enjoyed dinner here.

Nightlife: We went to the shows every night which started at 9-930. There were some shows that were done with the help of the audience and some that the starfriends did. The shows here were VERY good. I would say way better then the ones we saw in the Dominican. The performers and dancers work so hard and they really do a great job. After the shows they do the 2 dances every night "Dale Pa'lla" and Hey Baby" its very fun if you participate and go up and learn the dances!!...The disco starts at 11 and goes until 3am. It wasnt very packed...a few nights there were more people than other nights...we still had a lot of fun...the bartenders were great at the disco!!

Shopping: We went into Playa Del Carmen by the taxi and paid $5 US. its about a 5 minute ride and the shops were a lot of fun. You must bargain with them and the stuff is not very expensive. I suggest you go here for the shopping. We went twice during the week...its safe so dont get discouraged leaving your hotel grounds. My friend and i walked around alone here while my parents went a different direction and we are only 18 and never had a problem.

All in all, we all had an excellent time. Our room was in building 21 and was perfect. I dont understand how people can complain about this hotel, i guess some people are hard to please. We travel a lot and have been to several all-inclusives and this is one of the top ones.
I have hundreds of vacation pictures posted here...
If you have any questions, feel free to email me at KF6988@aol.com

31  Thank sweetk267
Reviewed 25 April 2006

Got back today. This is my third trip to Mexico, second to Maya area. Seven families and all enjoyed the vacation.

The IB has a great buffet, the selections change during the meal so make more than one trip, and watch out, there are two sides of the buffet and they have differnet entrees.

We liked the Italian resturant best. Japaneese and Tropical were second.

Swim-up bar did need more help, at times there was only one bartender.

Take a walk down the beach to the south and run out of resorts for some real quiet, or north to Playa.

The dive shop people are GREAT. great diving, really friendly.

One warning, don't use the hotel phone to call home, but that applies anywhere you go.

Maybe it was the weather, maybe it was the friends, maybe it was the hotel, but we had a fantastic time.

47  Thank Coastal32014
Reviewed 24 April 2006

I just returned from a 7 day trip with my family at the Quetzal. We had a terrific time. We had three rooms and they put us all close together. The place is as beautiful as I had remembered, although the jungle is a bit thinner from the hurricanes. The beach is amazing and the pool is large. The staff is very friendly and aims to please. We like our drinks on the stiffer side, so just ask for a floater on top. The food was pretty good....we especially liked the Japanese and Italian restaurants. There is alot to choose from and we always had plenty to eat. After talking to many other travelers I am convinced its one of the best all-inclusives in Playa Del Carmen. We had thought of trying one of the other Iberostars and after passing them on the way in I am glad we returned to PDC.....there's nothing around the other resorts! Our group ranged in age from 5-73 and all were happy. We stayed at the Toucan last time and I wouldn't hesitate to book either side, they are identical. Sad to be home!

33  Thank Happiness25838
Reviewed 16 April 2006

We just returned from a far-too-short vacation at the Iberostar Queztal 4/9-4/13. The resort was just beautiful. The transfer from the airport was seamless. In no time we were on the beach enjoying a cold beverage. The staff was fantastic! I never seen so many smiling faces and a willingness to please. The food was very good / the Italian was our favorite - although we did not go to the Japanese which everyone raves about. The room was nice sized and I kinda miss the beds there! I haven't slept well since returning home! The beach was amazing. although I should warn you that there are many topless women there - it's allowed at the beach but not in the pool area. I really enjoyed all the wildlife roaming about. The MONKEYS were hilarious to watch and the flamingos, parrots,turtles, iguanas, peacocks & Tucan were great! The only bad thing to report was a side trip that was recommended by our Funjet on-site rep. It was a scuba "discovery" trip off-site at a local marina. I had never scuba-ed - so I thought a one-day learning excursion would be perfect. I ended up spending almost 8 hours off the hotel site alone (my husband was golfing that day.) I waited almost 2 hours for someone to show up and after only a few brief minutes of "instruction" I had to wait a couple more hours for another actual dive - everyone was certified but me - and to make a long story short - I couldn't keep up with the ceritified divers - so they made me return to the boat! I spent over $100 US in this day trip and all I got was about 10 minutes in the water and a broken blood vessel in my eye (someone said it was because I didn't pressurize properly)- Scuba should not be learned in this manner - I found out the hard way! If you want to scuba - ceritify first under controlled conditions. The Loomas company said I would get a refund - but I'm not holding my breath - no pun intended! We would definately return to Queztal - in a heartbeat - I think the resort offers so much - and the people there are fantastic.

24  Thank sugarkisses