Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
USD 470
USD 215
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
USD 517
Bookit.com
USD 309
USD 247
  • Pool
Playacar Palace(Playa del Carmen)
Free cancellation until 30/07
USD 717
USD 598
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
USD 355
USD 263
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
USD 879
USD 747
USD 467
USD 436
USD 990
USD 749
Priceline
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
Free cancellation until 02/08
USD 926
Hotels.com
6,383 results
All reviewsibiza poolhowler monkeysmain restaurantthomson repsquiet poolgreat holidayasian restaurantevery other dayswim up barcaptain hookshower doorplenty of sunbedsentertainment teamevening entertainmentpalm treesmain poolmini bar
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Well I decided to return 'Home' to the Riu Yucatan and bring my parents with me this time. I absolutely love this hotel and nothing has changed much in 2 years since we last visited.

I am not going to leave a too detailed review as I think I've said it all in my previous reviews of this Hotel.

Everything you need is here. The staff are absolutely amazing and so friendly and cannot do enough to make your stay the best. The food is great and yes it gets repetitive after 14 days but we went out a couple go times to try something different. Bars are brilliant.

Ignore the moaners and groaners and if you can see past the odd niggle, you'll have a fantastic time. I'm still trying to find this 'musty' smell i keep reading about in the rooms??? Maybe the smell is from the guests??? LOL

My only bit of feedback for the Hotel is that when we returned the 2nd time we were really looked after with a Letter welcoming us back, a small gift and bottle of wine and there was nothing this time around........... Hasn't put us off coming again though!!!

Room Tip: Close to pool on the ground floor
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Richard T
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

This review is hard to write as we wanted this holiday to be as amazing as our one last year at the Rui Tequila. The only reason we chose the Yucatan was because the tequila was due to close the day we left.

Upon arrival the reception is outstanding, lovely reception staff and fast efficient check in, so we expected the rest of the hotel to be of the same standard,this is definitely not the case.

The grounds are well kept, wildlife is exceptional and a joy to see and hear all day.

The room blocks do not have lifts but are only 3 story so it's just 36 stairs to climb if you are lucky enough to get the top floor rooms. The blocks don't have the best views but some are better than others. We could see the sea from our balcony if we stretched over and looked to the side.
Once entering the room it was ok, the furniture had just been painted white.
The air con did not work correctly as it stayed at 27 degrees, we could not lower this at all? We had used the same one in the Tequila so we knew how to use the control system. Our daughters rooms aircon was working normally and we set this for her,
The glass shower door had to be lifted to close a tiny bit. We informed reception who said they would send up a technician to do both jobs. We got back in later that night to the air con bring exactly the same. My husband called reception who advised it was too late and no one was available until the next day. That next day obviously never came as it remained at the same temp all holiday, the shower door however was looked at but a bit of white stuff on the hinge did absolutely jack ****, but left a glue type smell. The glass doors are extremely heavy and we were worried about the glass shattering as it would not close due to scraping the tiles on the bottom. My husband did advise reception we would not close this door as it was dangerous and would not be responsible for any damage. Still no improvement for the rest of the stay.
They do have blackout curtains as well as the blue cotton ones, however ours seemed be be moth eaten as it had holes in it which let light through. (I will add a photo.) We laughed at it really, it's so poor in what is advertised as a 5 star resort.
The size of the room was really good and the well stocked fridge was excellent.

Our maid Consuelo was excellent and we could not fault her one bit, or any of the room cleaning staff.

The pools near the beach look lovely and inviting, lots of sun beds, umbrellas and clean.
We are very early risers and are at the pool from around 7am as we like to read etc when it's quiet and peaceful. This hotel allows people to put towels down for large groups who then do not come to the pool until after lunch. This affects other guests who come to the pool around 9am and no sun beds are left just rows of closed sun beds with towels or inflatables on them. So poor RIU. This needs sorting out.
The pool has loads of missing tiles, not just one or two, the jacuzzi hardly works and this is now more like a kiddi plunge pool.
The chill out pool is lovely until you get out of the water and your feet are dirty from the floor, obviously needs more attention.

The Margarita restaurant at lunch is ok but just warm, never hot. The birds however will never go hungry as the are allowed to fly in and eat off plates when your back is turned.
The main buffet is okay at night and breakfast, but not a patch on the hotel tequila across the road.
The Italian was the best food we feel ate at this hotel.
The lunchtime BBQ was ok but staff allow wet people just out of the pool to get food this then causes the tiled floor to be wet and in 10 minutes 2 men has fallen and dropped food and drinks everywhere. What a claim waiting to be had !!!!!!!!!This needs to be addressed by the two Riu people who checked the food areas each day. A lady and a man but did not see their names.

The bar in reception at night was great, excellent staff and good quality drinks.

Entertainment is very old fashioned and was not to our taste but others enjoyed it, (they did large scale jenga, lift the bottle, truth or forfeit or something like that, throw a ping pong ball in a bucket of ice, card games (pretend casino).)

Even with all the above we enjoyed our time in Mexico but would never return to this hotel

2  Thank Sammi-Tom
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Yucatan, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for your loyalty to RIU Hotels & Resorts and for taking the time to give us your feedback and for expressing your concerns. As a global brand, we strive to maintain consistent levels of quality in all our hotels.

We are committed to provide excellent quality of our products and services to our guests and for this reason we are sorry to learn that this time your experience did not live up to what you usually expect from us and that you have left not satisfied at all.

We would have liked to have been informed about all your inconveniences during your stay so we could have helped you to enjoy your time at our hotel.

Please be assured that we have sent your comments and suggestions to the respective heads of departments involved and actions would be taken to address all your concerns.

To end on a positive note, we are glad to see that you appreciated the friendliness of our staff and the service provided.

We sincerely hope that we will one day be able to welcome you back to our hotel and have a chance to demonstrate the high standards of guest service that are typical at our hotels.

With our best wishes we remain,

Hotel Riu Yucatan
Online Reputation Manager

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Airport experience very poor but putting that to one side we were welcomed wonderfully to the hotel with a cocktail and quick checkin experience. Our room was lovely in block 5 with wildlife popping along to say hello and the howler monkeys all around us and entertainingly noisy! Pool, beach and bars all great; entertainment team very enthusiastic with Pepe even joining us for lunch and a chat, which was sweet. Restaurants have an excellent choice with lovely waiting staff as are the room refreshers; all very customer service friendly. One negative though sadly; when the barbecue was on at lunch time this was fantastic: but when no barbecue there are just too many other Rui hotels using the only canteen restaurant and we didn’t enjoy this at all as too many people, we found it chaotic and fairly poor... sorry, but honest. Overall, we really enjoyed our two weeks with grateful thanks. Great hotel with great beach, pool, wildlife, entertainment and staff.

Room Tip: Block 5 by the pool and beach; however, loud as near to the entertainment which we enjoyed! Block 2 and 3 are by the howler monkeys!
1  Thank Clare M
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Just got back from a 2 week stay at the Rui Yucatan, travelled with tui. Lovely place to stay couldn't fault it. Great to see all the wildlife roaming about within the hotel grounds and the howler monkeys in the trees. Food fantastic in the main buffet restaurant (hacienda) so much choice and plenty of it. We dined at the Asian, Italian and steak house but i have to be honest the food that is served in the hacienda is just as good if not better, because on international night they serve steaks Asian and Italian. Very friendly staff, lovely maid who cleaned our room every day and she did some amazing towel art very clever woman. The room was very basic it took me by surprise when I first saw the room but it was spotlessly clean. It was decorated on our arrival with balloons and love hearts and there was a bottle of champagne in the fridge for us and chocolate coated strawberries. The reception staff were very helpful with any problem we had it was sorted straight away. I couldn't get connected to WiFi on the first day so the lady on reception did it for me. Used WhatsApp to message and video call family and friends. Didn't use any data too expensive kept it on airplane mode. The nightly shows were ok but nothing spectacular. We went across to the Rui tequila to use their nightclub one night, great little club if you love to dance.

Now about the wedding, first things first there was no family or friends coming out it was just the two of us but the day went without a hitch everything was perfect great help from the wedding coordinator. The hotel staff gave another room to my partner to change into his wedding outfit so that he didn't get to see me until I arrived at the ceremony She delivered my bouquet to me and then his buttonhole to him and she came back and helped me into my dress took a few photosbin the room then walked me to the ceremony place, another wedding coordinator was already there doing a live video on Facebook for me as we didn't have a photographer too expensive. We also had a friend we'd met whilst there take alot of pictures for us. The ceremony was set up on a little garden area at the side of the top pool just behind the reception lounge and there where lots of spectators which was lovely made me feel special. All the hotel guests that saw us congratulated us even the ones who didn't speak english. We had cocktails set up for us in the lounge bar area straight after the ceremony and then a 3 course meal in the Italian restaurant which I chose for our wedding meal. The wedding cake tasted absolutely beautiful. When we arrived back to our room they'd re-decorated the room again and it looked fab.

Now the most important bit for anyone from the UK getting married in Mexico, we wanted to have our wedding license translated into English and I asked the wedding coordinator if we needed to have it apostille stamped, she said it didn't need to be stamped as it would be perfectly legal back in the UK so I just arranged for it to be translated into English. She arranged for someone to come to our hotel the following day to sort out the details and take the payment of which I was told would work out about £41 pounds. Which was good because to get it done back home I do believe it was going to cost between £54 and £60. The following day we met with the person at our hotel only to find out from him that the license MUST be apostilled in the country you marry in, you CANNOT have it stamped once you get home and the apostille stamp is what makes it completely legal. Please be aware of this even if you are miss informed by your wedding coordinator. Total cost of this including the English translation and shipping cost 6000 pesos which is £236.54. Thank God we found out in time we should receive it within a month.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jewel-simone
Reviewed 3 April 2018

This was an excellent choice for a family holiday. On reception we were offered a cocktail and Mickel was helpful. The room was cleaned daily with fresh towels. The entertainment team was excellent,friendly and encouraging, a special mention for Cristian, who makes a special effort with all guests. Pool towels can be changed daily with plentiful sun beds and parasols. Drinks in room fridge topped up every 2 days.
Food is available 24/7, selection of restaurants with choices to suit all. We loved the plentiful availability of fresh fruit, yummy.
Wildlife is spectacular around the hotel, great photo opportunities.
The beach is lovely, the sea is clear and you can see the miniature fish. They make a huge effort to clear the seaweed daily which is appreciated and there are water sports for those who want them.
A taxi costs approx 90 pesos to playa del carmen, well worth a visit and a ferry to Cozumel is worth a day out where snorkelling was excellent.
To improve I would have liked tea/coffee making facilities in the room and if there could be a shorter gap between children’s disco and show, filled maybe by bingo or similar as children got tired and bored.
Be prepared to pay arrival tax and departure tax and eco tax if snorkelling, it mounts up.
That said we all had a fantastic relaxing holiday with a professional friendly team and hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Room 3115, close to all amenities, cool as not in direct sunlight with good air conditioning
5  Thank Mary B