“I'm ready to return......Yesterday!!!!!”

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Ranked #62 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
L.A.kertown
“I'm ready to return......Yesterday!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

Purchased trip through the ads they send via business fax....was a little leery at 1st, thought it was too good to be true. The only thing I didnt like is that they advertise one price, then if you want the newest built side you pay for the room upgrade, plus the $99 per person room tax so the price wasnt as awesome as it began.....nevertheless we were greeted at the airport & transported to the resort. Checked in & was offered fresh washcloths and drinks....from that time the attentive service was outstanding by all of the staff, from the first day until the last. Anything & everything you needed was taken care of quickly. We had the jacuzzi tub putting out rust from the jets and it was fixed by the time we came back to the room. Our room was modern, nice,clean, looked out to the swim up bar pool, stocked well with towells and beverages. My beautiful sister & I had an outstanding time, loved the French restaurant, but most of all we loved all the muy guapo papasitos!!! : ) the beach location was breathtaking (our pics look like postcards!) we walked to the secluded end for some no lines tanning, enjoyed 3 visits to 5th ave (a must do for a $5 taxi ride) where we shopped and got massages 2 - 1hour massages for $48!!!! you cant beat that price with a stick! (I made sure to ask to see the rooms and they were fine...not dirty or seedy at all!) We ate all day , the buffets always had a wide variety to chose from, and if you leave a plate or glass unattended too long the staff will quickly clean up. I have been telling everyone about our trip & definetely recommending this. TIP: remember whenever you are reading reviews you have to consider the type of person writing it. You have some people who are constant complainers & are never satisfied, or maybe used to such a high standard of living that nothing ever measures up to that. I am a happy to be away from L.A ,enjoying the beautiful surroundings ,eating better than decent food ,with lovely weather with a what more could you ask for attitude. so what if everything isnt 100% perfect. Tell me...what ,who, where is??? Hope you enjoyed this review and you should enjoy your trip. BE SURE TO BRING: sun block (Im quite dark & still used 100spf) mosquito repellant (from avon worked great!) and a BIG SMILE!!! : -D

• Stayed July 2009
7 Thank karmelsugar2004

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,789)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

I just came back from another trip to the Sandos Playacar. This was my 3rd time this year and I can only say the best things about this resort.
This time I spend one week with 2 of my sons and their families, which includes 5 grandchildren. Unfortunately my husband was not able to make it this time.
As always in the past we had no problem at the check in and our rooms were ready and beautiful, including a bottle of Champagne and a fully stocked refrigerator.
Martina was there personally to greed us and to make sure everything was to our liking.
One of my sons and his family stayed with me in the 1 bedroom ocean front suite and the adjoining room. My other son had a beautiful suite at the Rivera section.
The rooms were clean and I had a fresh bowl of fruit in the room everyday along with plenty of water.
Everybody at the resort was extremely friendly and as I said before it feels like coming home. They always have a big smile on their faces, even working in extreme temperatures and they always go out of their way to make sure you are happy.

The drinks were mixed perfect and the service at the beach was great. We never had to wait more then a few minutes to receive a drink. Thank you Azucena, “ You are the Best”.

The children had a lot of fun in the kids club and also got to participate in the Disney Show, which I think they will be talking about for a long, long time. Congrat’s to the animation team, under the leadership of Pablo. These guys are doing an incredible job keeping everybody entertained and coming up with new things all the time.
And yes there is something different going on at the Plaza every night.

We had most of our meals at the Fiesta Buffet and the food was really good and lots of choices. Thank you Teresita, Carlos, Alonso, Tila, Adela, Paolo, Azucena, Virginia, Veronica and everybody else for the great service we received and making us feel so welcome. We also had dinner at the Asian restaurant which has incredible food and everybody loved it. The duck is out of this world and I can recommend it to anybody. At the French restaurant we tried the onion soup, scallops and filet minion and it was a fabulous dinner just like the other times.

Since it was one of my granddaughters birthday, we asked Martina and Paola if they could arrange a birthday party on the beach for us. And what a party it was.

I cannot say thank you enough to everybody involved in the planning and execution. The Sandos team is THE BEST.

The kids had their own buffet with hot dogs, macaroni and cheese etc. For the adults there were filet Minion and Lobster. There were lots of decorations, a clown, a popcorn machine, a slush machine, music, a person from the animation team to play games with the kids and of course a birthday cake. My granddaughter said it was her best birthday ever. Special thanks to Martina, Paola, Hugo, Mohamed and everybody that helped to make this an unforgettable event.

One more ting I want to mention. Vito Anselmi Pascual, the new General Manager is doing a great job and the Sandos has definitely improved. Him and his team make it seem effortless to run such a big property.

My husband and I will be back in October and for Christmas and New Years. We can’t think of a better place to be for the Holidays but with our Sandos family.
Sincerely
Veronika Bisani

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank verostravel
Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2009

OVER ALL SERVICE WAS BAD. Our room was clean, but was not serviced daily. Had to ask many times for clean towels & tissue. The walk ways & stairs were never cleaned. Dirt, Hair, & cigarette butts every where. The elevator was broke all week. Long waits for shuttle to beach. The bars ran out of alcohol & juice & never restocked. Communication was impossible with most of the staff.
The event staff were more interested in having people come to their private homes for parties after they were off duty. Making dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants was impossible, then others were aloud to enter not wearing the proper dress attire. The theater was like an oven.

The food was good, the weather was great.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank SunBeachFun4
Dallas Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

Just returned on July 25, 2009 from Sandos Playa car. Traveled with family and fiance'. We go to mexico 2-3 times a year and travel to other beach destinations as well. (Jamaica, Atlantis, Hawaii, other US beaches) I am confused with some of the reviews I have read. We chose this resort based on the reviews because most were very positive, however, I found this hotel to be only average to good. Check in was a breeze with 9 people, 4 rooms. They were ready early around 12:00pm, so that was great! However, the air conditioning in 2 of the rooms was bad. We changed rooms 2 times but it took all day. The room we were in was still not very cold so my fiance took out the filter which was black, and the air seemed to work better. Kyra at the front was very helpful with the room changes. The pictures on the website did not represent what we saw. We stayed in a hacienda, the room had little drawer storage and all linens and furnishings seemed old and soiled. (Not the pretty blue linens on the website) Walls were patched up, light bulbs out, ants in the room, and private spa outside was half filled with dirty water. The chain on the fan was broken so we could not change the fan speed. Towels seemed limited, we never received any face towels so I finally called, they said it was too late to deliver towels (5:30pm is not late). After speaking with a manager, I finally got face towels. When we called for a golf cart we had an issue getting that as well. BUT...the service in the restaurants was good and they were very friendly and there to please. There was no service on the beach but a close walk up bar that had good service. We always tip a lot in Mexico and it usually gets you better service and they remember you. So the service was a mix of OK to good depending on where you were and what you needed. If you don't ask for anything you will probably have no service problems. The pool and beach are great, however, it was very crowded. We never went in the pool, it was filled with people and seemed a little dirty due to the massive amount of kids. Maybe in off season it will be less crowded. Not prejudice at all but there were many visitors from Mexico and Europe. The beach and the aqua blue water could not be any prettier! Playa Car is known for the beaches.

Although my sisters 3 kids did not participate in the kids activities, there were a lot of them. The gym and spa were great!

The food was a positive. It was very good for picky eaters. Other reviews describe the restaurants. Making reservations is a pain in the rear and they often say the restaurant is full. The only way we got in was because our friend who had a time share was there too. The restaurants were never full though, I'm assuming this is a ploy to save money on the hotels part. I would suggest using a little bribery!

Overall, we enjoyed our trip. I think the hotel just needs to keep up with the maintenance on the older units and update the bed spreads and curtains. The beds are hard and all the rooms have the same matress ( I asked). Bring an egg crate cover for your matress like my sister did and you will have no problem. A sound machine might be good too and the mosquitoes were bad at night so bring OFF. I guess if your traveling as a family, these packages are a pretty good deal at a decent to good hotel, just not a fabulous hotel. The beach makes up for any flaws in the hotel.

We have stayed at The Reef, Iberostar Quetzal, and Riu. Of the 4, I like Iberostar the best but they were old too. If you are a couple I highly recommend Secrets Maroma and Secrets Capri. They are the best resorts I have ever been too!! (Besides the Four Seasons in Maui!) Hope this helps!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank beachlover101174
illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

My wife and I went here on own honeymoon and It was the worst stay anywhere that I have ever been. To start with the Royal Elite people that run the resort changed our reservation from Sandos Caracol to Sandos playacar with out letting us know so we sat at the wrong resort for 3 and a half hours before they could get us transportation to the right one. Then upon arriving at the right one we were met with excuss after excuss why the change happened with no clear reason ever coming about. Then we booked a honeymoon suite with ocean views and paid $300 extra for this and since they had changed our reservations that was lost on there books and when I showed them our copy of the reservation I was told that was only good at the other resort and was up to them to refund the extra $300 that I paid and that we could not have the honeymoon suite or ocean view room at this resort. The royal elite that run the sales presentation are overbarring rude and cruel when you dont buy their pitch with insults and comments that ended we with my new bride in tears and papers thrown at us because we did not buy into the nightmare that this resort company is. The only thing that was nice at the resort was the beach and they say there is wait staff on the beach THAT IS A FLAT OUT LIE. There was one beach bar open at the entrance to the beach and that was it and not one waiter all the 6 days we were there. The so called gourmet restaurants were nothing but glorified fast food but not as fast or good. The Brazillian is the worst with disgusting food that takes them 2 1/2 hours to serve to you and all you do is go back to your room and puke it back up. We have traveled all over and never ran into such a scam as the company is they promise you and send you everything and when you show up you are at their mercy because they change your reservation to where ever they want then not stand behind your paperwork that they send you with all of the conformations on it and then not refund you your money for what you paid for and could can less about anything but trying to sell you more crap and packing in as many people as they can in as short of time as they can. So if you like being ripped off and screwed around and then only having half the restaurants opened and the others having bad food and then no service whatsoever besides cleaning crew. then this is your type of place. IF you are like the rest of us that expect to get what you pay for and be treated like a human then avoid this resort at all costs or you will have a horrible vacation like all of us that made the mistake of going to this resort. Also they say they have WIFI they dont except 2 spots in lobby and meeting place and you must pay for it and be lucky enough to catch the one rep that sells you the id and pass work that is only there from 12pm to 1pm only

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple