This was our 3rd family trip to Sandos Playacar. Location of the resort is great – beautiful beach, secure location for walks or bike rides, but… Clear case of VERY BAD MANAGEMENT. We took evening flight and got to resort late. We got our room key and went together with luggage to the room. However, room turned out to have only one king size bed. When I went back to reception and asked for roll-away bad for my kids, it turned out that resort was full due to Easter & Spring break and resort did not have any other rooms nor roll-away beds. Family of four ended up sleeping in one bed. As you already guessed, I did not get much sleep that night. I called my travel agent first thing in the morning and by 10 am General Manager of the resort was expecting to see me. As I saw long line of people checking out, I was not surprised that GM found me two roll-away beds in the next few hours. But, have you ever heard a hotel giving a room with one bed for family of four? I know a lot about Customer Service, which is a core of hospitality business. I took me few minutes to realize that evening shift supervisor of the hotel was not kidding about us spending first night of our vacation like that…
We did not make dinner reservations in any of the restaurants as we find it to be difficult to eat there with kids. Same as during previous visits, we eat dinner at the buffet. Food was Ok, but selection barely changed from day-today and was noticeably less than during our previous visit. Selection for lunch and breakfast was very good. Poor food selection was well compensated by noticeably great service level by waiters and their manager David. Thanks!
Resort has free bicycles to ride outside of the resort, which I was doing every morning. One key advise though – bikes are poorly maintained. 9 out of every 10 bikes have bright orange and completely rusted chains. I found one decent bike, remembered the number and used it whole week – it was not a problem as I usually was first customer. They also have about a dozen of kids bikes – all with rusted chains and not a single one had air in tires.
This resort was cheaper this time than others. I will not be going back to Sandos Playacar! Since I like the area, I will be considering Iberostar and Rui resorts, which are next to Sandos. Sandos is a good chain and I hope they work out their management issues and figure out how to run this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is an all-Inclusive hotel in Playa del Carmen with both family and adult sections. We are ideally located on a magnificent white sandy beach in the gated community of Playacar, within walking distance to downtown Playa and Fifth Avenue. Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is located only forty-five minutes from the Cancun International Airport, and the pier serving ferries to Cozumel is a short distance from our property.Playacar is a private, master-planned community situated on the southern edge of downtown Playa del Carmen. Guests at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa enjoy this exclusive community’s impressive infrastructure, including an 18-hole golf course designed by Robert Von Hagge, the Xaman-Ha Aviary, pristine biking paths, and Mayan ruins, accessible to the public for hiking.Riviera Maya is a protected region where many remaining artifacts from the fascinating Mayan civilization can be found. Surrounded by Mayan archeological zones, such as those at Tulum, Coba, and Chicen-Itza, this Playa del Carmen hotel successfully preserves a strong sense of Mayan culture onsite, adding an authentic feel and flavor to the vacation experience in Playacar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Wotif.com, Expedia APAC, lastminute.com.au, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Hotelopia so you can book your Sandos Playacar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos Playacar Beach Hotel
- Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach
- Beach Playacar Resort Sandos
- Sandos Playacar Resort
- Sandos Playa Del Carmen
- Gala Resort Playacar
- Sandos Gala Playacar
- Sandos Playacar Mexico
- Sandos Resort
- Playacar Sandos