2,489 results
All reviewsprivate poolrainforest experienceoutdoor bathtubeco toursaffron restaurantsands restaurantin villa diningla coparesort hostsanctuary pool villabreakfast buffetreflections poolvilla bbqbuggy driversgolf cartmayakoba areabeach club
Reviewed 4 February 2011

This resort truly is. The villas are spacious, comfortably appointed and very private. The courtyard area of the villa we stayed in was so nice, we spent several afternoons just hanging out there. The staff is professional, friendly and attentive without being over-bearing. You get the impression that they truly care, not just seem to. The overall design and architecture of the buildings and property is superb, the perfect blend of Asian and Mayan esthetic. The planners took special care to preserve the natural environement and natures abounds. The whole place exudes tranquility. We enjoyed the food, especially the breakfast buffet that satisfied a wide variety of international tastes. We wished that The Orient (breakfast restaurant) was open for dinner as well offering an additional option for dining. The hotel staff were very accommodating and made sure that our needs were met. Ask, and anything you wanted was yours. We especially want to thank Laura, the concierege, for all that she did to make our stay so wonderful. Other notable staff that we'd also like to thank are: Alejandro, Carlos, Eduardo, Ernesto, Federico and Omar, but there are many others whose names we cannot recall. Thank you, thank you for making our much needed vacation so wonderful. We look forward to our next visit, hopefully soon!

Reviewed 3 February 2011

This hotel is a budding star. The concept is brilliant. The Villas are huge and self contained. Outdoor bathtub, spa, pool, and great big lounge beds. Very clean. We were outside at all times - riding our bike to the ocean and sitting in our back yard, bathing in our outdoor tub. The messages and spa services are outstanding. The only drawback is the service - well intentioned but needs refinement. Responses to requests were usually really slow or flawed. All was done with the best intentions and a graceful smile - so it is hard to criticize them. I believe that with time, they will work out these kinks and this place is a winner. The food is adequate but could be better. Saffron is the only restaurant we really liked.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I would avoud this place like a plague, i had my room turned down the first night and as i left for dinner, i forgot something and when i walked back to my room i saw about 8-10 people in the bushes outside my balcony window and the turn down service inside.. They are all working together to clean out the rooms.
I had camera stolen and diving gear stolen. A watch and some other items.
The hotel takes guest to a fake police center that they control and help to cover up the crimes..
I would avoid this place even if you think it looks pretty and good.
Most of these other reviews are by their staff who post them..

• Stayed: September 2010
28  Thank Brockxerox
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2011

Dear Brockxerox,

Thank you for your posting but I do think that this is a misplaced comment as incident as described here has never happened.

Anybody bothered by this comments.

I would like to ask to get directly in contact with me.

Thank you.

Maximilian Lennkh
Vice President
Area General Manager
max.lennkh@banyantree.com

Reviewed 31 January 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights as a getaway from the kids. At first I was leery of staying in a villa that had no view of the ocean, but the vill was spacious, very well done and private - soon I realized I wasn't that bothered about the lack of an ocean view. The beds are super comfy with great linens. The bathrooms spacious and superbly appointed. The villa pool was beautiful, if cold (villa pools are not heated so in Dec., Jan., Feb. they can be quite chilly). And even the large outdoor space was very, very private. We stayed in a garden villa and it was great. I believe to be on the beach/have a beach view, you need to be in a 2 or 3 BR villa. Regardless, we loved the room. The short bike ride to the beach (along the golf course) was no problem - enjoyable, even.

The beach club seems a bit small for the property size, especially considering the large (and largely unused) pool by the main building. The staff at the beach club, as throughout the property, were great. In the mornings it was perfect: quiet and calm. In the afternoon, the pool area got a bit crowded, so we went down to the beach on some lounges and we were fine. Every so often, the staff would check on us and they were always available if you needed something.

The hotels in Mayakoba all have charging privileges with each other. One night we wanted seafood, so we took the complimentary shuttle to the Fairmont and had a nice meal outside on their patio. The breakfast buffet is very nice. And the staff there quickly learned our preferences.

We'll certainly go back. And we want to try the Acapulco property as well. After this first stay, consider us Banyan Tree fans.

The service was outstanding, always available, but never infringing.

Reviewed 30 January 2011

First of all, it is cold in December and January in the Riviera Maya. Be aware that if you are visiting at this time. you should pack accordingly. There are no heaters in the outdoor restaurants which make for a chilly evening if you brave the elements. This is also important to keep in mind regarding the pools in the villas----they are cold!

That said, the rooms are excellent. They are truly top notch although you have to accept that they have no view of the beach. They are very private and spacious which is the main attraction.

I liked the resort but have two important complaints. The first is that the dining options for dinner are too limited. I realize that Saffron is the BT signature restaurant but I don't want Thai food on my beach vacation, I want seafood! We had to go to the Fairmont one night just to get seafood. We ate at Tamarind one night and were underwhelmed. There were no other options at night which was disappointing. If I come to the beach it would be nice to be able to dine somewhere with an ocean view (and heaters in the cold weather).

My second complaint concerns the beach club. It is simply too small. During our stay, the hotel was 50% full and the beach club was packed. The tiny pool was full of babies and groups---nothing tranquil or relaxing about it. There is no excuse for not utilizing more of the precious beachfront for a larger beach club. Given that the rooms have no beach access/view whatsoever, the beach club is the only option to enjoy the beach. It is not open for dinner so the fact that it is overcrowded and overrun during the day is evidence of poor planning.

This was a great long weekend for us but it isn't perfect. If you fully understand the shortcoming going in, you will enjoy your stay. Otherwise you may be disappointed.

3  Thank SdlT
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2011

Dear SdIT,

I wish to thank you very much your feedback in regards to your experience with us over the recent days.

I am very sorry that the dining options here did not find your approval and that you found them limited.

The great advantage however in the development of Mayakoba is that it is an integrated resort where we have 3 hotels, to which we provide free dinner shuttle service, and where you can charge your bill to the hotel room where you are staying. So in the end we offer within the Mayakoba development more dining options than any other hotel.

The beach club is a little bit set back from the beach and is designed in such a way that we maintain a maximum of natural beach area, as most clients do come for the beach. We also try to be as little as possible invasive to the nature and it is our aim to maintain and preserve as much as possible a natural environment.

I am very sorry that you did not find our facilities to your expectations and I do hope that our other services where up to your satisfaction.

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable Banyan Tree experience.

Best Regards,