Banyan Tree Mayakoba
USD 587*
USD 497*
USD 436*
BlueBay
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
USD 1,978*
USD 1,781*
Hotels.com
USD 849*
USD 452*
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
USD 728*
USD 404*
  • Beachfront
USD 481*
Ocean Maya Royale(Playa del Carmen)
USD 1,096*
USD 1,001*
USD 534*
USD 243*
USD 223*
TripAdvisor
2,308 results
All reviewsprivate poolrainforest experienceoutdoor bathtubeco toursaffron restaurantsands restaurantin villa diningla coparesort hostreflections poolsanctuary pool villabreakfast buffetvilla bbqbuggy driversbuggy servicegolf cartbeach club
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stayed here with my husband and two teenagers. All of us loved the resort and would have no hesitation in coming back. We stayed in a 3 bed 'townhouse' which gave all of us some space to lounge around, watch TV or swim in the pool. The villa was well equipped and luxurious. There is free WiFi throughout the resort. Each bedroom had its own bathroom, with the master bedroom fitted out with a bath overlooking the jungle. Great showers too. Every day, housekeeping filled the fridge with a fresh tropical juice and replenished the incense sticks and candles (much to my teenagers joy).

All the resort restaurants were excellent. Food was top notch - from the breakfast buffet to their fine dining offer. Staff were friendly and efficient, seemingly never tiring of whizzing guests round the (large) resort in buggys. The beach staff deserve a special mention. Mineral water was free. Superb spa. Highly recommend booking in for a massage, one of the best I have had. There is a boat that takes guests to the beach (rather than by buggy) which takes about 5 mins. It is a tranquil and relaxing little trip and a great way to see the local flora and fauna (including baby crocs and turtles). Beautiful Caribbean beach of course. One of Mexico's top-rated golf courses is also here.

My only slightly picky comment is that you could forget that you were in Mexico. This resort is very Asian in style and design which is understandable knowing who the hotel operators are. If you're looking for a more authentic Mexican environment, you may feel short-changed. But, if you are looking for a beautiful, well-run resort, with good food, welcoming and efficient staff and a great beach location and are not too worried about not experiencing the 'real' Mexico, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Dear HHFoodie

Thank you for choosing Banyan Tree Mayakoba for your family vacation. We are happy to hear that our service as well as the hotel amenities had satisfied your needs and tastes.

You have been very nice in writing your nice comments on this site. We do appreciate you taking the time to do it and are more than willing to welcome you and your family soon again.

We look forward to your return to Banyan tree Mayakoba and I wish you all the best.

Best Wishes,

Area general Manager

Reviewed 28 March 2012

My wife and I got back from a wonderful stay at Banyan Tree Mayakoba. We have mostly excellent things to say about the hotel.
The check in process is very smooth and the hotel made every attempt to accommodate us even though we arrived before check-in time. The villa (we stayed in the Garden Villa) was decorated very well and you can’t beat having your own pool and courtyard. Yes the pool is not heated, but it is nice to cool yourself down if you choose to hang out in the sun in your courtyard. Housekeeping (twice a day) was excellent and the hotel offered free bottled water which was replenished often. We had no issues with mosquitoes although ants popped up every now and then. I wouldn’t keep any food or drinks out. I would highly suggest getting a room closer to the lobby. You could always rent bikes to head to the beach but it’s nice to be able to walk to breakfast, the lobby, reception, the spa, or the two dinner restaurants without having to call a buggy (the golf cart service). We rented bikes (highly recommend) so that we didn’t have to rely on the buggy to get to the beach. The bike ride is about 5 minutes.
Breakfast Buffet at Oriente was the nicest breakfast buffet I have ever seen. Lunch at Sands beach club was pretty good. The service at the beach club was okay. Getting set up with a couple chairs and an umbrella was easy at both the beach and pool but drink/food service seemed better at the pool then at the beach. We had dinner at Saffron and Tamarind and they were both very good. The atmosphere at Saffron was better as it was over the water. I would make reservations with the concierge desk beforehand as there are not that many tables at either restaurant (Tamarind a lot less). I saw a few couples get turned away because they had no reservations. Needless to say they were not happy.
The massages at the spa were excellent… so good that we went back for seconds later in the trip. Obviously they are quite pricey, but it really seems like the masseuses know what they are doing. The gym was large enough. It had a couple of cardio machines, weight machines, and a small amount of free weights.
On the negative side, I wasn’t impressed with the beach itself. It wasn’t very big, the sand a little rocky, and the water wasn’t as clear and calm as some other beaches in the Caribbean. Buggy service can be a little slow (which is why I would suggest renting bikes). For some reason, a decent amount of families were there which surprises me because having pools in each villa doesn’t seem like the safest room to have when coming along with young children. Also, having to transport young children to the beach from your villa seems like a huge pain.
However, the positives very much outweighed the small negatives. As long as you know what you are coming here for (the great service, and not a beachfront hotel), you will enjoy it as much as we did.

Room Tip: Get a room by the lobby. One less buggy trip you need.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cheb1978
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Dear cheb1978

Thank you for coming to Banyan Tree Mayakoba and, moreover, to write your feedback that is going to be certainly very useful to other Trip Advisor’ users.

All your comments are shared with all the associates so everybody of us note the details pointed out in this review. Once again I thank you for spending the time to write this review.

With very best regards,

Reviewed 27 March 2012

This was the second time we had booked through Kuoni & this was the second time they had failed to book our private transfers despite my instigating before departure that this time the car really was confirmed. I will not be using Kuoni again.

Upon arrival we were upgraded to a Spa Pool Villa and complimentary 60 min massage. I was laughed at when I asked they staff why...but then we found out exactly why...

For 4 days of our 8 day holiday, a wedding celebration of 300 guests from New York heavily dominated ALL public areas to the point where we felt we had been put 'on the back burner' And had to just accept that the party would be taking priority.

We were advised by staff to eat an evening meal in Tamarind so booked this upon their recommendation. Regrettably, the wedding party decided to overflow into this beautiful, tranquil restaurant with their drinking. As such, my small group of 4 failed to have any kind of conversation due to noise levels. The entire meal was a catalogue of errors. Bread came, then 20 minutes later, the oils and vinegars to be eaten with it arrived. I was asked what I wanted to drink and then my other 3 companions were given the same without being asked about their requests. Drinking glasses holding sparkling water which needed topping up then had still water added to them.....we waited over an hour and a half for food which was then sent back.

Breakfast was NOT in the Oriente whilst the 4 day party was taking place. Non-wedding guests were re-located to allow the wedding party priority. The staff did their best but it did get to the point where I didn't even bother asking for any more coffee or juice because I knew it wouldn't arrive.

One guest from the wedding party did come into 'our' breakfast area with his phone on loudspeaker and shouting across the restaurant to yet another voice. Erick & his team did politely remind him that there were other guests trying to enjoy what the BT promotes (tranquility) and asked him to move on. This was hugely appreciated by us as it meant we could now have at least one meal without being violated.

BT states it's an 'ecosystem of carefully maintained mangroves and freshwater lagoons - home to a myriad of indigenous species of fish and birds...living freely in their natural environment'......the wedding party were warned by staff that they could not whizz jet skis through the mangrove river yet the party ignored this order and as such yet another area of peace was ruined for those who had paid a premium for the BT experience.

BT states of its golf course that 'it's one of the most famous in Mexico and weaves through 3 distinct ecosystems'.....well yes but you can't use it when multiple wedding marquees are erected on the course.

Fireworks went off unexpectedly behind the villa of a family with a very young child and as a result the parents then had to deal with the consequences. A note from staff explaining what would be happening would have been appreciated as a gesture.

The atmosphere and attitude of staff completely changed once the large party had left. It was noticeable and remarkable how we then were made to feel welcome and wanted.

I have been put off visiting another BT as this visit totally contradicted their entire ethos of zen-like calm and tranquility.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank paulswife

Dear paulswife

I feel sorry to read you did not enjoy the atmosphere of the hotel during your last stay and we are sorry if you have been disturbed. Please accept my sincere apologies. Thank you for mentioning our efforts were noticed and our performance improving during the last part of your stay.

Thank you for bringing to our attention your experience during your stay at Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Remaining at your entire disposal,

Reviewed 27 March 2012

You are treated like royalty your entire visit. It is very private, and the bedroom doors open to your own private plung pool. We travel frequently, and this resort tops them all. The perfect relaxing getaway.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Dear jrobin22

Thank you for giving us and other readers of Trip Advisor your very positive comments. I am glad to know that you have perceived the true essence of our hotel.

We are keen to welcome you again to the Banyan Tree Mayakoba and I remain at your entire disposal,

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I've stayed during a wedding weekend , and the rooms and facilities are Ok , at first hand the fitness center looks good but all the equipment lacks of maintenance, one of the elliptical machines was out of order and the other elliptical machine the screen was not working so you could not input data or choose the exercise you want to do.
another bad experience that we had is that we tried to make a reservation at the saffron restaurant from the front desk, it took forever for them to try to make the reservation finally the told us that they were fully book, its seem rare to me so I went directly to the restaurant and they were almost empty, so they gave me the table, and I asked the manager why they did that , and she told me that they were not serving outsiders, I told her that I was staying at the hotel and they denied the reservation. i think that the property owners should know this because they have the hotel to do business and not to deny reservations

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear monyh

Thank you very much for your notes on your recent stay. I do apologize for the problems you pointed out on those notes, like the gym equipment. I also have noted the situation you explained regarding Saffron Restaurant’ reservations and we have changed the reservations procedure.

Wishing to have the opportunity to bring your confidence back,

With best wishes,