Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
USD 470
USD 215
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
USD 517
Bookit.com
USD 309
USD 247
  • Pool
Playacar Palace(Playa del Carmen)
Free cancellation until 30/07
USD 717
USD 598
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
USD 355
USD 263
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
USD 879
USD 747
USD 486
USD 436
USD 990
USD 749
Priceline
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
USD 926
Bookit.com
All reviewstacoeco tourcevichegolf cartlagoon poolbanyan treecasa milagrolagoon view suitehyatt pointskids clubbreakfast buffetbeach roomamazing propertynespresso machinerooms are modernevery single staff memberthe entire property
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Me and my husband spent a week at Andaz Mayakoba in mid-March 2018. This was my second time in Mexico but first time on the Yucatan peninsula. Before booking our vacation, we looked at some resorts in Cancun, all of which (even "upscale" international chains) looked like they cater mostly to college kids/spring-breakers on a budget. Andaz turned out to be a perfect choice with a private and relaxing atmosphere, good food (it is NOT an all-inclusive resort) and not as expensive compared to other resorts like Rosewood. Our room was located lagoon side with great access to the breakfast restaurant, Sanctuary/front desk, and biking trails. We didn't mind biking or taking a golf cart ride to/from the beach every day. It took about 7-10 mins to bike to the beach. Bicycles and golf carts were always readily available and we never had to wait for one.
Restaurants:
~ Casa Amate was amazing, from food to service to design and atmosphere (especially their outdoor patio with a more casual feel). I would come back to the resort just to eat at Casa Amate again.
~ Olla Taco - needs some improvement - went there twice and each time the tacos were not that great. With all the amazing Mexican food options in the area (including next-door resorts and downtown Playa del Carmen), Olla Taco simply does not live up to the competition.
~ Cocina Milagro - had breakfast there every day (8 times in total) plus dinner twice. The dinner menu was nothing special, even a bit underwhelming. However, breakfast buffet was delicious, everything we tried including traditional Mexican breakfast options was incredible. I really like that breakfast was offered from 6:30 am as for a couple days we had a really early start. I also appreciated the availability of fresh-squeezed juices and espresso-based drinks (a rarity in the US).
~ Olla Ceviche - loved the outdoor seating (however, only 3-4 tables available) and food. Ceviche and aguachile options were very good. Food presentation and service was good too. Loved the casual feel of this place.
~ Last but not least - we really liked "El Pueblito" village located just a short 10-minute bike ride from the Sanctuary. It has some souvenir shops plus 4 or 5 casual dining options, my favorites being El Cafecito (great coffee, ice-cream and pastries) and La Fondita (the best tostadas I've had so far!). We also ate at a few restaurants at nearby resorts and Playa del Carmen but I'll write about those in separate reviews.

Rooms, amenities and lanscaping
The rooms and facilities at Andaz are very nice and modern. I appreciated having a Nespresso coffee maker and hot tea in the room. The shower was VERY NICE. The resort itself (both lagoon and beach side) is beautiful, however I expected to see more palm trees at the resort and beach - some of them were trimmed and not as lush. I loved multiple biking/walking trails and the eco-tour where we've seen lots of local birds and wildlife including iguanas and small crocodiles. The ocean water was warm and although it was pretty windy during our stay, we did enjoy the beach every day. There was seaweed in the water on some days but the staff did a pretty good job clearing the shore. Mayakoba area is very safe and is on a guarded/gated compound so no issues here.

Staff and resort activities
Everyone was very courteous and attentive to our needs, especially Enrique the host and Casa Amate hosts/servers. Jose who organizes beach/snorkeling activities provided a great service too. Snorkeling at Punta Maroma reef was a lot of fun. We also did a morning bike tour of the trails with Antonio (complimentary activity) and he showed us a few interesting places in the Mayakoba jungle. Enrique helped us organize a day trip to Chichen Itza ruins with an outside company which we really enjoyed. Plus they provided the contacts of a very good local photographer. Consistently good service from golf cart drivers too. One improvement opportunity is the food/drink service on the beach - we spent at least several hours on the beach every day and were never offered to see a menu. I had to chase the staff every time I wanted to order a drink. With a 15% mandatory service fee they should be doing a better job with this.
Overall, great resort if you're looking for a hip contemporary setting and easy access to all activities that Yucatan has to offer.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Twyndefossen
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2018

Hola Twyndefossen! Thank you for taking the time to share your previous experience with us and thank you for sharing your photos, I am very happy to read that you and your husband had such an amazing stay. It is great that you got to experience our unique style and beautiful surroundings as well as all that Mayakoba complex has to offer. I hope we will get the opportunity to have you as our guests one more time in the near future. Best Regards, Lin Schatz.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I'm here enjoying a perfect mini vacation for a very special birthday at the Andaz Mayakoba resort.

Normally don't write reviews but after the absolutly incredible service provided by the entire staff felt it was appropriate!
With all this been said I'd like to thank CHRISTIAN CRUZ personally for makimg this experience a life time memory that will keep me coming back to the Andaz forever !

The perfect world class vacation at the Andaz !!!!!!

Keith Worrall

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Hola Keith W! Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. Our goal in Andaz Mayakoba is to create memorable experiences for our guests and I am very happy to read we achieved this with you. I feel very proud of our team for always willing to go above and beyond for our guests. I will make sure to communicate my appreciation to Christian for his hard work. Hopefully this is only the first of many more Andaz trip to come! Best Regards, Lin Schatz.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

My family (4 adults and 1 toddler) have just completed a 5 day stay at the Andaz Mayakoba. We could not have been more happy with the stay. I will provide a few details but what gave us the most enjoyment was the kindness and professionalism of the staff. They are truly dedicated and knowledgable about what it takes to make visitors feel welcome and happy. This was our 3rd stay at this fairly new hotel and this time we stayed down by the beach. The property is divided into 2 sections - the lagoon and the beach which are about a kilometer apart. I was happy in both locations but I think I would opt for the beach location as a personal preference because -- it is nice to be able to have a nightcap at the Olla Ceviche bar and look out over the sea before walking back to the room. It is also nice to wake up to the view of the sea. We did not find it inconvenient that the propery is divided as they run golf carts back and forth constantly and can call a golf cart for you at any moment. The pools are definitely kid friendly in both areas. Even though the Andaz was at full capacity, there were always pool chairs available and the pools nor the beach never felt crowded. In fact that was another huge plus for this hotel. It never felt like there were any crowds or hustle and bustle going on. The breakfast at Cocina Milagro is excellent but our favorite restaurant during our stay was the Casa Amate. They have a great happy hour until 7 p.m. and the food was delicious. Mayakoba is a development that contains 3 other hotels (Fairmont, Banyon Tree and Rosewood). As a guest at the Andaz, you can dine at the other properties and charge it to your Andaz bill. This time we went to the Rosewood twice and prefered the Casa del Lago (wonderful ambience) over the Punta Bonita but both were very good. The Andaz also organizes special dinners and events in order to offer new experiences for guests such as barbecues and Mayan nights. As mentioned, we were incredibly impressed by the people. At Cocina Milagro, Julio & Mariana and Fernando were so helpful. Carol at the Olla Taco/Olla Ceviche was a real standout in terms of customer service. And I can highly recommend the very professional Edgar as a bartender at Olla Ceviche -- he taught us a lot about Tequila and Mezcal.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank ColombiaFans

Hola ColombiaFans! Thank you for posting your review on our profile. It means a lot to me having repeat guests and I appreciate your loyalty to Hyatt and to Andaz. I am very happy to read about the amazing service provided by some of our very valuable associates, Julio, Mariana, Carol and Edgar, I will make sure to pass along your kind remarks. I look forward to having the pleasure of being your hosts one more time in the near future. Best Regards, Lin Schatz

Reviewed 30 March 2018

This was my first time to an Andaz property and my families third time to Mayakoba. I'll first start out and say, if you don't understand where you are traveling or what makes Mayakoba special, then do some homework.

The Andaz was built where the Viceroy was supposed to be built about 8 years ago. Which puts it between the Rosewood and Banyan Tree. MO has gone by the wayside and now another hotel not apart of Mayakoba.

We opted for private transportation provided by Andaz. We met two well uniformed Andaz employees and within about 10 minutes in an SUV with cold refreshments then off to the report.

Let me set something very straight. Mayakoba is very secure it's frankly a maze once inside. I set foot on 3-4 properties as well walked the beach. At no point did I feel my family was in danger or should have stayed in Austin with the postal bomber.

Check in : As others have stated, no formal lobby. Compared to Fairmont, I get the feedback. Similar to Rosewood, it's covered with a nice breeze. Everything took about 15 minutes. Several welcome drinks and we were in a golf cart touring the property. We were offered an upgrade to the beach side and opted out. With a child under 5, the kids club, transportation, restaurants, it was simply the best decision.

Room: Where set up in building 17. Some may not appreciate the proximity to the reception. We loved it. Our suite was large, with multiple ways to close off the master, bathroom, or living room. We also have a plunge pool which my daughter loved. Two balconies. At the end of the day, we were very comfortable. Bed was delightful, not too soft and not too hard. Plenty of hot water and the AC was fridged. My only feedback is that the only comfortable furniture in the entire suite was located outside. I mean the bed has multiple uses but sitting just isnt one I think of. Housekeeping was solid. The last day we didnt get more soap. I don't understand this and has happened to me multiple times recently. Don't people shower the last AM?

Food: Water - Drink the bottled - dont worrying about brushing your teeth. Shower at ease. Relax. Their goal is to not make you poop so much that you can't spend $. Think its funny, I am totally serious. Hotels like this want you to have fun and stay healthy.

Kids under 5(I think) eat free. Not earth-shattering, but my kid is a picky eater. They also would make her whatever she would eat. Most of the time from scratch. Huge value. Peanut butter sandwich, no problem. Chicken and rice, no problem.
Drinks were good in all the restaurants. Do the tequila tasting or find a server that will help you try a few. The service in Milagro was outstanding. In Mexico, these resorts do breakfast to another level. No different here. Note, the Authentic Mexican dishes at breakfast where outstanding.

Pools| Beach| Water

One pool is heated - It was hot and depending on the day, too hot. We enjoyed the beach and the water pool side was spot on. Beach was nice, well groomed. Water was fine. It was stired up. I have never really seen in calm in Mayakoba. Not a negative. We enjoyed the beach. Bring bug spray.

Children, Romatic Weekend, who should stay here? This is a place that caters to families and does it well. The kids club is free, they offer nannys and babysitting (We used one and my daughter wanted to see her again). If you are trying to find a romantic get away, go on a off time when the kids are in school.

Pesos, Dollars, Euro? How do I pay? The ATM in the lobby is Dollars. The Fairmont has a ATM that offers Pesos and they will drive you there for free. I tipped in Pesos.

Overall Final Impressions: The Andaz does families well. Come on! They have a happy hour at one of the pools! When traveling as a family, I will look to this property again without hesitation. The staff is a stand out group. Internet did what it was supposed to do. It's casual which at the beach is great. We ate a few nights in shorts and tee shirts and it was totally OK.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Captpablo

Hola Captpablo! Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I am very glad to read all about you many adventures at our property and I am very happy to acknowledge that you and your family had such and amazing time. We hope to have you with us again in the near future. Kind Regards, Lin Schatz.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We will definitely be back. My husband and I spent our 1 year wedding anniversary at Andaz Mayakoba, and thanks to the staff, and especially Willy, it couldn’t have been more special. Willy went above and beyond to make sure that our visit was one of a kind. Every staff member was kind, helpful, and cheerfully engaged in friendly conversation. The property is beautiful, and we enjoyed being able to explore it on the bikes! If we could rate this hotel higher than a 5, we would.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Hola whitneyanne22! Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay, I am very happy to read you had such a memorable experience in our resort. I am very proud of every team member, specially Willy who always stands out for giving the extra mile in everything he does. I truly appreciate you choosing our resort to celebrate your 1st Wedding Anniversary and I hope you make it a tradition and celebrate every anniversary with us! Best Regards, Lin Schatz.