“Check In Issues!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Peterborough, Ont
“Check In Issues!!”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I have just returned from a one week vacation to the Azul Fives property just outside of Playa Del Carmen. My wife and I are regular travellers and love Mexico!! We have stayed in the Playa Del Carmen and Cancun area over 10 times in the past 5 years, so I'm hoping my comments will help fellow travellers.

This will start off rough as I have to say that the check in was a nightmare!! The staff members that are working at the front desk are wonderful but there is a huge disconnect between the supplier (Sunquest in our case) and the hotel management. We were given the opportunity to purchase suites when we booked the entire wedding party and so most of us did. One of the problems is the slow check in as there is a paper trail that is a mile long; a photo taking session to prove your staying at the resort and then of course you have to show the card with your photo on it every time you want to eat or drink...new to me??

My brother tried checking in and they didn't even have him staying at the same resort as the rest of our wedding party. The was not our travel agents fault as he had the proper paperwork but they over booked the hotel and tried to shuffle him off to another one of their properties by himself...that did not happen!!

When we arrived at the hotel is was shortly after noon so we were told to come back after 3pm to get our room keys. We did so and well low and behold 7 of us were told that our suites were not available for 3 or 4 days as the hotel had over booked the suites. We were all given deluxe rooms and told to check back in half way through our trip!!! Wow crappy guest service and we've only been here for 3 hours. This run around continued for the entire week until most of the wedding party just accepted that they were taken. I realize that some people will say "what does it matter it's only a room" but I say "give us what we paid for!"

It was a crappy start to what ended up being a wonderful week!! The entire resort staff are excellent, the grounds are fantastic and the food was better than average. The recreational team works hard to get to know everyone and they love to party. The wedding itself was out of a picture and the wedding planner Arturo was on top of all the details.

I'll close this off by saying that in order to save the hassle and some money, just take the deluxe room. The whole "suite game availability" is far too frustrating and will definitely make me think twice before spending hard earned money on another Karisma property. I do realize that you can't paint all of the Karisma properties with the same brush but what else should one think.

Hope this helps.

Wass

Room Tip: Don't book the suites it's not worth the frustration!!
7 Thank wass

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,752)
  • Polish first
Indiana
Reviewed 1 April 2012

If you're interested in an incredible vacation experience at a beautiful family-friendly resort with wonderful food and great rooms Azul Fives is for you. But that's not why I would recommend this place. It's about people. From the bell boys to the reception desk personnel. The wait staff, the housekeepers, the cooks, the landscapers, the child care workers...everyone here was friendly, inviting and really made this resort different than the 5 others we've stayed at in Riviera Maya.

My wife and I traveled with our 20 month old son. Within hours of our arrival servers were calling him by name. He was treated so well it's difficult to remember every example. Staff members always said hello, they played with him, gave him "five", always made sure a high chair was available, filled his sippy cup up with milk and brought us whatever food we requested for him.

A few highlights:

Kids Club: Even though we weren't able to leave our son there (4 yrs and up), we were able to play with him there during the heat of the day. The toddler room was bright and cheery with lots of games, puzzles, etc. We stopped by every day for an hour or so.

Baby Sitting: One night we had one of the child care workers come to our suite for a couple of hours so my wife and I could have a quiet dinner. The charge was $15 an hour and well worth it. The babysitter was sweet and professional.

Spa: 90% of our vacation revolved around our son but we did take time out for massages. My wife and I agreed these were the best massages (and spa experiences) we've ever had--anywhere.

Large suites: parents with young children...upgrade to at least a one bedroom suite!! We were able to put our son to sleep and have a couple of drinks in the bedroom and on our porch without disturbing him. Great to have the extra space!

I could make a list of things that weren't perfect at Azul Fives--it isn't perfect. But the experience we had was unbelievable. It was the friendly, positive, hardworking people who made all the difference. We'll never forget our experience and looking forward to a return trip!

Room Tip: One bedroom suites are well worth the price!
3 Thank Newstraveler
Traverse City, MI
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Like so many on the forum, I was hesitant to go to Azul Fives based on the negative reviews. As much as I try not to sweat the small stuff, sometimes too many small things end up tainting the vacation so I was worried. We ended up loving Azul Fives and had an excellent time there. The small issues we had were either immediately resolved or were so minor as to not affect our vacation. I will address our minor issues just so other travelers will know before they go.

We traveled with a group of 4 families with children ranging in ages from 12-18. We were all upgraded to rooms with a rooftop terrace. Our friends had rooms right near each other in buildings 5 and 6 and we were in building 2. Although we would have liked to be closer to our friends, we didn't ask to move and found our location to be acceptable. The rooms are very spacious with two bathrooms (and one on the roof if you have a terrace), a huge living area and two balconies. We have never had an all inclusive room of that size. We have a boy and a girl which makes having one king bed and one pull out sofa a bit of a challenge but our daughter ended up sleeping with us and our son slept on the sofa (when he wasn't sleeping outside on one of the terraces with the other teen boys in our group). The boys loved the terraces and I would highly recommend asking for one (or emailing the request ahead of time which someone in our group did). On the first evening, we had virtually no water pressure or warm water. We also had several ants in our room around the entryway and kitchen area. We wrote a note to housekeeping about the ants and called about the warm water/water pressure and both were resolved by the next day. There never was enough water pressure to fill the jacuzzi tub that was in the room which may have been an issue had we had small children who needed a bath. We prefer showers so it wasn't an issue. Same goes for the tub on the rooftop - not a lot of water pressure and just cold water. We tried to fill the tub and leave the water to sit and warm in the sun but the housekeeper drained it when she cleaned the terrace which to us was no big deal. We were just happy the housekeeper even took the time to clean the bathroom on the roof. Our fridge was never really cold which we called about to no avail. We got around this by putting our beverages in the freezer for a short time. Again, no big deal to us. The fridge was stocked daily with extra beverages - we tipped both the beverage person and housekeeping person on a daily basis. One day, the fridge wasn't stocked and we made a quick phone call and someone was there within minutes. We used room service two times and the food was delivered within 15-20 minutes. The food was very warm and of good quality. The little shoestring fries at the restaurants and from room service were our favorite. The resort could not have been cleaner and the employees nicer. Our kids hit it off with the entertainment staff and loved the water polo, water aerobics, and the nightly shows. The "chair game" wasn't an issue until the last few days when the resort was full. On those days, we did save some chairs and always managed to find enough. If there were no chairs available, we just sat on the side of the pool. We loved the main pool and the pool by Lizards. We especially loved not having towel cards and were always able to find a fresh, clean towel when we needed one. The towel hut even has sunscreen for the guests' use. The restaurants were all good - our daughter loved Flavours for breakfast, most of us loved the beach grill for lunch, and we all enjoyed our dinner selections. Sea Olive has a really good lunch but it does take awhile - if you want to maximize time in the sun, I recommend the buffet. The same goes with dinner, if time is of the essence then I recommend Flavours for dinner as it is a buffet or what they refer to as a "food display." The desserts/sweets at Azul Fives were better than most of the other all inclusives we have been to. The chocolate pastries at breakfast were a huge hit with our group as was the chocolate ice cream at the beach grill. We visited the smoothy bar a few times and it was good every time. We called for bell service upon our departure but they never came. My husband and I started to the lobby on our own and were quickly spotted by someone and picked up and taken to the lobby. Again, just a minor inconvenience that was quickly rectified. There are babies and kids everywhere and they were extremely well behaved. A few of the pools said they were Adult Only but there were kids at all of the pools which was fine with us since we had kids and since it spread everyone out a little more. Our group made a few suggestions while there - we wish there was bottled water available throughout the resort; we wish there was a few other bars to meet up at during the evening other than the Zky bar; we also wish the kids under 18 got bracelets other than cards for convenience and to highlight the fact that they are underaged; we also wish there were no outside doors on the pods of rooms or at least a doorbell. We saw several people who were locked out of their room and knocking on the outside door but the knocks can't be heard in the room. Overall, we loved the resort. The pools, the service, the cleanliness, and the large rooms were all a hit with us. We have never been this relaxed at an all inclusive and our kids have never felt as comfortable as they did at Azul Fives. We would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: As for a rooftop terrace - buildings 5-9 are all in good locations.
6 Thank MichiganVacationer
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed at the Fives during March for two weeks with my friend and their family during my Spring Break and I had a blast. I definitely loved the service here. Everyone was extremely nice and happy all the time :D If you happen to stay here, I would recommend you to go to the health bar. Rodrigo, who works there, makes the best smoothies, milkshakes, and healthy drinks ever. You should definitely try the drink named Chic. Rodrigo is such a friendly man and has such good customer service :) You HAVE to stop by if you are staying at this resort. I would without a doubt stay there again :)

-florence :D

1 Thank Florence F
Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed at the Azul Fives March 12-19, and were more than happy with our experience. I have to admit that after reading some of the reviews I too had a moment of panic that we should change our plans, but in the end was very happy that we did not. We were a family of four travelling with our 9-year old and 14-year old sons. Again, a lot of the reviews and information seemed to focus on catering to younger children and families, so I was also a little concerned about there being enough to keep our 14-year old busy, but this too was not an issue.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the positive information I have read, from check-in to check-out, our experience was fantastic. The staff was friendly, enthusiastic and always helpful. The activities coordinators at and around the pool were engaging and really took the time to interact with the guests making my older son feel very comfortable joining in activities such as volleyball and water polo. They even managed to get my husband to play too. My youngest took a Spanish lesson and for the rest of the trip, every time he saw the woman who was our instructor she always greeted him by name and spoke Spanish with him.

Overall the resort was very nice and extremely well maintained. We liked the smaller size, especially with the kids. It felt much more comfortable and personable than the larger options. Our one-bedroom suite was a great size for us. The room was cleaned every day and the refrigerator was always restocked with beverages. We never had an issue with towels, hot water, bad smelling linens or anything that I have read. We did have an issue with our lock on the door the second morning, and it was fixed immediately.

We enjoyed the restaurants and the food. We tried all of the options except the Japanese restaurant. The Beach restaurant serves dinner, and was one of our favorites. We never had an issue getting into any of the restaurants, service was prompt and courteous and we received our food in a timely manner. At the Italian restaurant, my dish ended up having a pesto sauce on it, to which I am allergic, and when our server found out promptly took my dish and had a new one prepared. The kids were satisfied with their choices. Flavours was their favorite for breakfast. I know my husband would have liked more authentic Mexican fare and the 'gourmet-style' servings were sometimes too small for his taste, but that is a personal opinion. We did order room service one evening and received our food well before the 30 minutes that was indicated.

With the great resort, good mix of activities, terrific staff and fantastic weather, we could not have had a more wonderful time, and as a previous reviewer said anything minor really is nothing to complain about. Our only real complaint was leaving our swinging bed and chairs on the beach for another family to take our spots when we had to leave to come home - albeit with our great memories that we will cherish for a long time to come.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1.6 km away
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!