All reviewslovely hot showerair conditioninga short walking distancethe main squarebeautiful hotelopen courtyardwould stay here againnice poolfirst floorpaseo montejobellhopbeddingcleanlinesstelevisioncathedral
Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

There are many amenities here. In the bathroom, a blowdryer, lighted magnifying mirror and even a telephone! There is a coffee pot, with a first day package of ground coffee and bottled water. Surprisingly, there were also enough electric outlets.Plenty of granite topped furniture, large closet in the vestibule, and balcony. We had a view of the pool. The grounds are lush, with many palms in the courtyard. It was very hot here in March, do the shade in the pool area was appreciated. Tour buses came and went without much noise or disturbance. The free parking was very convenient next door to the hotel. Our room had newer furniture and bedding that was comfortable ( after we reversed the plastic mattress cover!) We were about 5 blocks from the main square. A good location on a less bust street than some other places we've stayed in Merida. Although the reception wasn't super welcoming, the bellhop Victor from Portugal was very friendly and helpful. The bar area has a beautiful stained glass atrium, and the lobby is large with plenty of sitting areas. I would say thus is a pretty goid value for the heart of Merida.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2018

I booked the Gran Real a ridiculously low rate, so I didn't expect very much. I didn't expect a 5 star experience because I was not paying for one. We booked two Deluxe King rooms and we were assigned rooms 412 and 413.
We arrived and Reception was not rude, just a bit lacking in making us feel welcome. That changed with the friendly bellman Victor who took us to our rooms and made sure everything functioned before leaving. Television...check. Air Conditioning...check. He left us in our rooms that had modern, clean and good size bathrooms. The bedroom areas were also large with mini-fridges for our water. The king bed was comfortable, the sheets were clean and the rooms in general were well appointed. When we awoke the next morning, we noticed that the air conditioner in room 413 was leaking and we reported it to the front desk. We went out for the day and when we came back, the air conditioner was fixed and no longer dripping. We appreciated that fast repair...we only had to mention it once and they made it right. You can't ask for more than that!
The breakfast at the hotel was excellent and the service exceptional. Normally hotels gouge for meal service, but since that was not the case here, we ate breakfast both mornings of our two night stay. To start your day in the open air courtyard with a cafe con leche and smiling waiters was fabulous. The common areas are nicely painted and well maintained. Although we did not use the pool due to cool weather, it looked clean and inviting. The location allowed us to walk everywhere. Free parking was also a plus.
Our check-out at Reception was much friendlier than our check-in.
My take on this hotel is that we would stay again. It was more than I expected. Although some sites rate it as a 5 star, it is not. It does not favor the hotel to be listed as something it is not as people could expect too much. It is a solid 3.5 star hotel at a very attractive rate so keep that rate in mind should you stay here.
BTW, my cousin left her sweater on the bed and I called the hotel the same day. They went to the room, found the sweater and held it for two days until we could pick it up.
We thank them for their honesty as well.

Room Tip: I would spring for the additional few dollars to get the Deluxe King
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank justmyopinion1957
Reviewed 26 January 2018

Awesome location, free parking, pool. Everything was clean and staff was friendly. Perfect old Colonial Hotel.

Staff arranged taxi to take us to airport and the taxi came and knocked on our door- got to airport on time!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank MeEncantoMexico
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

The only reason I give this hotel a 2star is because they have a nice lobby styled like an interior garden with green plants! And there everything stops!
The rooms are dated, quite dirty. No hand towels, no bath mat, no bath gel, no conditioner and a soap that smelled like the primitive soap the peasants used to do from pig fat and caustic soda.
But that wouldn’t be the biggest problem. It is loud! The bed vibrates and even ear plugs can’t cover the noise! Our friends stayed in the opposite part of the hotel and the situation was absolutely the same! There are rythmic very loud noises coming both from the steam absorbtion unit of the kitchen, which luckily stops between 23-5 am, but in the rest of the time cracks and whizzez horribly, and the extraloud hum of the airconditioning which never stops. At breakfast, I asked for decaf coffee and the waiter started to explain that they do not have some, but that he has some and will bring it especially for me for a “propina” of course. What a shame! They dare put 5 stars on the front; I do not know how they are not ashamed. It’s not even a 3 star. I will complain to our travel agent for this choice! Stay away if you want to sleep!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2017

This hotel is gorgeous on the inside but it's showing it's age - stains, wear and tear, etc. Could use some sprucing up. Other than our bell boy who was amazing, the service was a bit lackluster. We had a little suite which was very nice with a separate room with couch and bar area (sink, fridge, microwave). Lovely hot shower with great water pressure in the evening. In the morning, however, there was no water for washing or flushing the toilet. Had to wait about 45-60 minutes to get water. When I mentioned this to the front desk, they said they had a little problem but it was fixed in a couple of minutes - not so. I think it's a bit pricey for what you get.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family