“Stay in the Castle rooms second floor.”

Cabanas Maria Del Mar
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Castlegar, Canada
“Stay in the Castle rooms second floor.”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. 10days, great location, right near the beach (you are practically on the beach) We stayed in the Castle rooms and would really suggest them. We were in room 1, right above the buhos bar, i could use the buhos wifi internet in my room which was great. (the restaurant/bar always closed early and was very quite) Rooms were clean, great beds for mexico and the staff were great. No major complaints except we had to keep a bath mat over the vent in the bathroom floor due to sewer gas...very smelly but it worked. Some same complaints as some people's previous reviews, no facecloths, no beach towels and no beach chairs (unless you want to pay for them) but we Have stayed in many different places in mexico and would take the castle rooms any day! We had a great time!

Room Tip: Definitely stay in the Castle rooms on the second floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I must say that based on some of the mixed reviews here, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. So I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Maria Del Mar was an exquisite hotel -- which makes their rates an incredible bargain. Here's my feedback:

-- Our room (a 2nd floor Cabana room with a view of the sea from our patio) was spotless
-- I loved the huge bathroom with the beautifully tiled shower
-- The A/C worked very well, but wasn't needed for the most part
-- The service was excellent but not intrusive, which I love
-- The grounds were gorgeous -- lush, tropical, and well-manicured
-- There was a random rude guest who decided to while away an hour or two loudly blowing on a conch shell even after I asked him nicely to be quiet. But that isn't the hotel's fault. :)

I would stay there again in a heartbeat. Enjoy!

Room Tip: I stayed on the 2nd Floor in a Cabana room and like it -- got an ocean view from the balcony which w...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Amanda C
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 4 February 2012

The price is right and more than fair for this very simple room right on the beach - we really enjoyed our couple of nights here. If you need luxury and are desperate for air conditioning, superior breakfast etc., look elsewhere. Here, it is clean, simple, charming decor, lovely courtyard, superb location and - did I say it already - on the beach...feet in sand minutes after you check in = exactly what we wanted.

Now, when I say honest, I mean it - I had lost my glasses and went on to travel throughout Yucatan...wrote to Cabanas almost out of formality, not expecting to really find them- and guess what- they actually kept my glasses almost a month later, and furthermore found another California guest to bring them home for me. Now that is service that I have not encountered at many places!

I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: lower tower room - really simple and no frills, but right on the beach
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ivana I
Oxford, Mississippi
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We have stayed at Maria del Mar three times over the last 9 years. Although we stayed at Aluxes Priviledge and Hotel Ixchel the last two times we visited Isla Mujeres, visiting Mari del Mar in January 2012 showed us that it is still the representative Isla property. No glitz or glamor, just a comfortable, friendly hotel on Playa Norte - the best beach on the island.

Room Tip: The Cabanas part of this property - the the upper [second] floor are best. The Towers and Castle se...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Walt A
San Leandro
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We have been to Isla many times over 20 years. We love the location (Playa Norte) on Isla's finest beach, and near enough for an easy walk to town. Usually we stay at Na Balam (our favorite hotel on the island), but they had been booked when I was scheduling the trip. So, I reserved online at Cabanas Maria Del Mar. What a rip off. First off, they told us nothing when we checked in, such as, you must pay to sit on their beach (not just rent chairs - they've got a sign on the beach saying they'll charge you regardless), or even the good stuff: a continental breakfast included. Worse, they misrepresented the policy of the neighboring hotel, stating theycharge for chairs as well (the neighbor hotel does not charge their guests to sit down). After 2 days, we were able to move to another hotel. At checkout the shakedown started in earnest. First they charged us for an extra night for changing our reservation. Then....get this, they said they would not apply the one night's deposit I paid with the reservation claiming the travel agent "keeps that". So, we ended up paying the cost of four nights for two nights. I will dispute the rapacious overcharging with my credit card company when we return, but for now just want to warn others.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple