“Pretty Perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Winnipeg, Canada
“Pretty Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

I have been to Isla three times (not at Rocamar). This was my husband's first trip and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Rocamar. The view is incomparable and the sound of the surf is intoxicating. The bed (and bedding) is very comfortable - we slept like babies. There were some minor plumbing issues at first which were quickly remedied by the staff. The location is not only great for the view but within walking distance of everything you need: groceries, shopping and restaurants as well as Playa Norte's spectacular beach. We rented a scooter and visited the south end of the Island - also lovely and so easily (and afford-ably) accessible by taxi, golf cart or scooter. The pool at Rocamar is perfect for cooling off and the deck chairs and beds comfortable. Even a TV in the common space if you have to watch something. Our balcony and room always had refreshing breezes and we were never too hot. So appreciative of the hammock - and very securely fastened! Loved the large and open concept washrooms. Very reasonably proceed for lots of amenities and a view that is priceless. I love this island and loved Hotel Rocamar.

Room Tip: Do not choose the ground level budget room. I would only go for the ocean views with balconies.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Islaholic57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

Surf sounds lull you to sleep. Close enough to walk to everything. Great staff who understand enough English to be able to help but tempt you to try your feeble Spanish should you have any. I like that. Minimalist room suited me just fine. Good bed (!) I'll go back.

Room Tip: rooms with smallest numbers on the street level. It was no problem for me, but I can imagine there...
1 Thank Nan999
B.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

We visit Isla ever year and tend to try out a different accommodation every couple of years. We have always loved the view on the 'rough' side of the island, so decided on the Rocamar this trip.

We were on the 'main' floor, near the reception area; I would suggest being a bit further away from the common seating area, as some of the patrons tended to be a bit loud in the early morning or late evening, and the sound came through our bathroom window. We could sometimes smell smoke, as well, HOWEVER, those are my only complaints.

Our room was absolutely spotless upon arrival and after each cleaning. Our king bed was fairly new, and though it was a bit soft for my liking, it was very comfortable (keep in mind they are a bit shorter in Mexico). We always had hot water for showers, and our air conditioner was adjustable and worked great. The view from our room was spectacular!

I used the pool one day, and it was clear and clean. The next day, it had some sort of algae issue, which took a couple of days to clear up, but the staff stayed on it until the problem was resolved. The pool area was clean, aside from messes left behind by some of the guests...there are garbage cans EVERYwhere there, so there was really no excuse for that.

The young people at the front desk were happy to do whatever we needed. There was a microwave and T.V. in the common seating area, a large water cooler for filling water bottles, coffee on in the morning, a pot for hot water and several types of tea. I was very sick for a couple of days (something I took down with me, nothing to do with being on Isla), and the staff was willing to do anything possible to ensure my comfort.

We paid $99 US a night or 1,287 pesos for an ocean view room, and I felt it was worth it after paying more than that at other hotels with bathrooms that were falling apart and leaking toilets. I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for an ocean view room, and stay above the bottom floor, which does NOT have air cond...
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

The room was very clean with beautiful views of the ocean and a nice balcony with a hammock. The location was ideal and close to evwerything. I personally loved the shower; it was huge; and being disabled, it was very convenient for me to use, as I could take a chair right in there.
The only bad thing I could say (if I could even call it "baad" was the coffee.Plan on taking a short morning walk to grab a cup of coffee and a light breakfast; within 5 minutes of the hotel ( thats 5 minutes there and back! El Cenro is also within walking distance as is one of the north beaches (I don;'t remember which one it was.
Nearly everything is within walking distance, but cab service is also available. We found all the cab drivers to be very courteous,friendly and helpful.
We would definitely stay at Hotel RocaMar again if/when we return to Isla Mujeres.

Room Tip: We had one couple in our group who were on the lower level. who did not like that location and moved...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Hanover, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

Stylishly basic, excellent value, breezy balcony with sunrise view. Just around the corner from zocalo. Can be noisy in the late evening, night club close by..

Room Tip: Higher floors are more comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family