Review Highlights
Artful Fishing

This was my first time deep sea fishing, and we chose Keen M based on these reviews. My... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Lee R
Great private whale shark excursion for a group of 8!

We booked with Captain Anthony on one of his large fishing boats (Lily M) for a group of 8 for the... read more

Reviewed 5 September 2018

from USD 65.99
from USD 128.50
from USD 69.99
More Info
All reviews captain anthony grouper sport fishing deep sea fishing beautiful sailfish white marlin these guys catch fish rueben fishing trip hour trip excellent fishing slow fishing fishing conditions family fishing fished offshore already planning our next trip
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We fished aboard the Keen M II with Captain Ruben and Mates Luis and Pasquale. We have fished in many areas with many crews and this crew was top notch! We had 4 adults and tow children (ages 12 and 9). Everyone was very accommodating and conscientious of the hospitality end of the business and we caught fish all day! A dozen or more Bonito, two beautiful sailfish, and a big Grouper, filled the cooler! So much fun!

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank 76Holly
Reviewed 29 March 2018

I booked an 8 hour Sailfish trip on March 19, 2018, it was definitely the highlight of my trip to Isla.. Met Capt Anthony, very nice guy but he was already booked for the day I wanted to fish, so Capt Ruben took me out along with Mate Louis, Wow, these guys are extremely good. The amount of attention to detail, when rigging baits and the dredges was very impressive, and their skill levels are through the roof. I run my own boat in N.J. and I've been offshore fishing for over 25 years, chartering boats all over the world, and I will say Keen M is among the best of the best.

If you want to have a great day with the Sailfish, book an 8 hour day, and show up early.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

My brother in-law and I booked an 8 hour sailfish charter on 3/1/18 with Keen M and Captain Anthony Mendillo Jr. to check an item off of our bucket list and Keen M did not disappoint. We had a great day picking up 11 sailfish and a few bonito as well. We had a long boat ride to get to where the fish were but it was worth the time as we got into sailfish within 10 minutes of starting to troll. Anthony was very good at explaining what the routine would be and he was more than happy to answer the many questions I had on the techniques we would be using and what to look for. It was great sitting up in the flying bridge looking for the birds and then getting up on them and seeing the bait ball and the sailfish in the crystal clear water! His two crew mates were kept busy as twice we had 3 sailfish on at once, they knew exactly what they were doing as we fought the fish moving from side to side in the back of the boat. The boat was clean and comfortable and sandwich's, fresh fruit and water were provided for the day. If you want to catch sailfish I would highly recommend a trip with Keen M!

Reviewed 6 March 2018

We did a 6 hour of shore fishing trip on the Lilly M. The boat is pretty stable and has a head. The boat was very clean. All bait and tackle is included. They also have sandwiches and water on the boat. The captain and mate worked very hard to get us hooked up to fish. They had everything prepared in advance and we were ready to start fishing as soon as we got to the area. The area they fished was well off shore and about 45 minutes to an hour from the dock. For a four hour trip, a good deal of the time would be taken up in transit. Apparently the fishing had not been very good. We caught a tuna and 3 sailfish and had three other fish on but lost them. We considered it a successful day. It was very rough (5 foot waves). My wife got seasick, but they were very understanding and sympathetic.

Their on-line reservation system is kind of confusing. It asks for your credit card info and makes it look like a charge has been placed on your credit card. However, they have to actually subsequently manually make the charge to your credit card. They say they will charge one-half and collect the remainder when you go, but they will also charge the full amount if you request it. Also, the web-site says to be at the dock by 8:00 AM, but they actually want you there by 7:30. We were there at 7:15 and we departed immediately.

One thing to be aware of is that they only bring the first sailfish on board for pictures. The rest are released in the water by cutting the leader. This is understandable to reduce the stress on the fish. All sailfish are released.

Date of experience: February 2018
1  Thank MIHorseman
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Struggled some to get information we needed, including location to meet. Sounded from later conversation like an information email wasn't sent to us. The crew was competent, gave us our full time fishing, and nice though they were very quiet (we were asked where we were from, etc. 4 hours into fishing, nothing before that.) Most of the time the crew spoke Spanish amongst themselves or were quiet. My wife came along and was sick in the rough seas for most the trip, I don't think a word was said to her through the trip except to offer water and food. Very bad day for her unfortunately in contrast to the rest of our stay on Isla. I would guess language barrier but I can speak passing Spanish, more just personalities or lack of effort. Something maybe more to consider if contemplating bringing a companion if you don't mind silence.

I had two shots at sailfish on the fly on the Lily M, one right off the bat and another just before the end of our 6 hrs fishing, they didn't get set in the tough bill. Another teased too far under the boat so no shot at it. 4 hrs without a sign of fish through the middle, which is how fishing can be, though not anticipated in the touted spring sailfish fishery popularized by articles in years past. Morning hours were all slow after dawn for us. For those contemplating trying the fly, if I could do it again and could guess at the slow fishing but still wanted to take the risk, I would have done first fish conventional, subsequent by fly to avoid the higher risk of getting skunked and having the sick feeling of having dropped $1000 without a fish to hand. I also would not allow any fish to take from directly behind the fly because of the absolute need to get the hooked in the side of the jaw with that bill, although the crew didn't agree with that until after our two fish went unhooked.