“Not as good as the reviews”

Hotel La Casona Real
Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Upon entering the hotel, the first thing we noticed was a cockroach lurking by the entrance. Not a great beginning. We also experienced no hot water. The front desk was surprised by that and said there would be a remedy soon. Nobody told us there never was hot water. After 4 days, there still was no hot water. Is there or is there not hot water? Please tell me if you ever find out. The bedding is also something to behold. If you can keep the slippery sheets and bedspread on, you are more fortunate than us. The staff is very friendly and the place is very clean. Yes, the AC does work. I don't think we will be back.

2  Thank nellySeattle

Reviewed 25 January 2012

I liked this hotel, it is well located, clean, and the people are friendly. I have been in several hotels in central and south America that were not as clean and friendly, but they had hot water.
This place had no hot running water. When I spoke to the person at the front desk, she simply said they don`t provide hot running water, although she gave me a coffee maker so that I could heat some. And no the water is not hot enough that you don`t require the water to be heated..
For that reason I would not go back.

2  Thank DiverOttawa
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed here 4 nights for New Years. It's approx. 4 blocks from the pier. We usually go all-inclusive, but decided to try something different. This hotel was cheap, clean and friendly. I do want to express that it can be a little noisy, but remember.... the price is right! The staff (front desk, housekeeping, restaurant, etc) bent over backwards to make sure our stay was comfortable. They also have a security guard on duty. Be sure to read my other reviews for the restaurants of choice.

1  Thank LilLorriLee
Reviewed 2 January 2012

This was an excellent place for us to stay for our two nights in Cozumel. Our room was ready when we arrived at noon and we were quickly checked in. Everything one could possibly want, save for a beach good for swimming, is in walking distance. Since we were traveling on a budget without a car, this hotel was perfect at under $50 per night with easy on foot access to the ferry, restaurants, shopping, groceries, atms, people watching and scooter rental places. (On a side note, I highly recommend cruising Cozumel by scooter. When we wanted to get to the beach, we rented one for 200 pesos and had it until 6 pm for the day. ) The room only had hot water enough for short showers but that seemed fine.
My one complaint is the attached outdoor restaurant doesn't have a single vegan item on their breakfast menu but I'm pretty sure it'd be crazy if they did.
Probably best suited for travelers who don't have a car--not sure if they have a parking lot--and want to explore all things Cozumel by foot, taxi, or scooter, and return to their hotel to rest up. I wish I'd stayed there again at the end of my trip instead of the "resort" hotel!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sts227
Reviewed 2 January 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel our first two nights of our mexico vacation, and loved it. For the price it was great. Clean & cute rooms, hot shower, and within walking distance of everywhere we wanted to go. We later "splurged" on a much more expensive place with beach access, and wished we'd just stayed at Casona Real again instead. For the price it was great.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple