“Mexico Bound....” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Walnutport, Pennsylvania
“Mexico Bound....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

This was one of the best trips we have ever been on. We are divers and the diving was exceptional....absolutely beautiful. The dive shop was fantastic to work with, very organized. If you are interested in this talk to Alfonso there, he is awesome. The staff at the resort were very friendly and helpful. The only complaint we had was the water temperature was not consistent. It may have been room specific but it would be warm, then scald you, then get too cold...that was our ONLY frustration.
Suggestions: I would spend the extra on Royal Club if you can, it's worth it! If you are looking for a room on the ocean with a beach view you are not going to get that here. You are in the middle of the jungle here. There is a walkway/bridge that you walk across to the ocean but there is a pool, bar, and restaurant on the beach. They have some great iguanas all over the property. We called ahead and spoke to Yamile Cruz, and requested dinner reservations for each night. I would highly recommend that as we heard it was hard to get them once you are there. And the food is not the best...do NOT go expecting authentic Mexican food...it is not. We asked why and they said no one could stand to eat genuine Mexican food, it would light the rest of us on fire. Judging from their salsa, I believe them! If nothing else I would request to get into Los Oliveros...that was best food we had all week!
We went to Chichan Itza for the day...this is a LONG trip, last all day. Very worthwhile if you are interested in Mayan culture but you may want look into flying because it's a 3.5 plus hour trip by car...both ways.
Overall we will definitely be back. We had a fantastic experience. It is heaven for divers and very relaxing and beautiful for non-divers.

Room Tip: upgrade to Royal Club.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jenrobert l

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

The hotel is beautiful. Our room was very spacious and the pool areas were very clean and well maintained.
There was wifi service included.

There are also a good number of shaded areas and poolside entertainment / games during the day.

We found all staff to be very friendly.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike B
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

I liked the hotel and I liked food and beverages much more. The service was very good and the food was delicious.
In my visit to the Hotel, to Cozumel, I found that all good coments here, in trip advisor, are truth. I did not believe it, I lived them.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adg_02_usa
Chicopee, Mass
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

I recently came back from a week stay at the royal club with my boyfriend. If you get the first floor get ready to suck in mildew!!! It was such an intense smell that we had to request another room, which took two nights to get!! They put us on the second floor (not in the royal club) still a bit stinky... In all honesty spend the extra cash and get the junior suite..that's were they put us.
The staff was very pleasant but it did seem like alot of the restaurants were understaffed.
It was a very nice place but I think we are going to try another hotel next year!
Aqua Jim :)

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank kswissy
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I am a Royal Club Repeat Guest:

I always enjoy staying here; much cheaper than the Presidente Intercontinental which I tried many years ago. I've stayed at the Occidental Grand resort some 4-5 years now, this trip for a week.

As mentioned by other reviewers, Ms. Nelly who is the primary person to work with at the Royal Club, is a gem and always makes a sincere effort to make your stay perfect. Staying in the Royal Club only costs a little more than the other buildings, and it's worth it: A very nice private restaurant for all three meals if you want, and now WiFi is free (it used to cost an arm-and-a-leg!) With that said, I found the WiFi signal spotty or a weak signal sometimes but considering its now free/included, it wasn't a significant issue. They also have a small, private pool if you desire more quiet-time away from the other larger pools, as well as an exclusive computer to check email near your room.

I find other comments about ground-floor rooms being too humid and musty (more than upper levels) somewhat flawed. During this trip I requested a ground floor room and the AC worked quite well, especially since they also have a ceiling fan in the bedroom, almost directly above the bed. I do not find the beds to be "too hard" to sleep on (mentioned by a few previous commentators), and I've slept on many.

If you scuba dive, this is the place! I try to scuba dive 1-2 times a day and the on-site dive shop (Dive Palancar) is at the top in service and diving options.

IMO, this is a great resort if you have children who are aged ~14 years or older; plenty for young adults to do; having infants or very young children may be problematic.

For some reason, I never get hit-up by the time-share staff; how I manage to avoid the sales pitch every time I stay here is beyond me, but I know they've been pushing their time-share program for years (I am not a time share member).

It's been several years since the hurricane hit the island and the because time has passed since then, the resort's landscaping is lush and well-maintained; the staff is constantly pruning, trimming and cleaning.

Just a few things on this trip which were not what I was used to from previous visits to this resort (This should NOT be a deal-breaker for you, so take these as minor observations):

- Pool bar closest to the beach: Ran out of drink cups (plastic glasses) on several occasions throughout my stay; the sole bartender had to leave many times to obtain clean glasses, leaving guests standing in a long line waiting for the bartender to return.

- The Royal Club housekeeping staff used to fold/prepare a towel in the shape of a tropical animal or bird, and place it on your bed once they cleaned the room and made the bed; fresh flowers used to be placed in several location throughout the room/bathroom and/or on the bed; they did neither of these during my 7-day stay. It was a nice touch on previous visits.

- Survey: Strangely, I received the resort's survey email the day I arrived, rather than at the end of my visit, or shortly after the trip ended.

- The Royal Club's pool: Ran out of pool towels very early in the morning every day I was there; I did not observe them being replenished later on in the morning or afternoon by the staff; once they were out of towels in the early AM, no more towels for the rest of the day.

Some closing thoughts:

- Men: Don't forget to bring one pair of long pants and closed shoes for their specialty dinner restaurants; this attire is obligatory for dinner except at the buffet-style location. Some guests try to sneak in wearing shorts. And by men that includes all ages: male kids must also abide by this attire standard of long pants and closed foot apparel (no shorts or flip flops/sandals for men).

Stay here! Even with some minor quirks, I really enjoy this resort and will return for a future visit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo