“Perfect Place, Location, Neighborhood, and Hosts”
Review of Coral Reef Inn

and 1 more site!
Coral Reef Inn
Ranked #2 of 28 Cozumel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 August 2015

I was a long term guest at the CRI during the off season and I have a lot to say (I was here a long time).
Therefore Jerry and Leona will automatically know my identity. I'm the TA reviewer of mystery and intrigue.

I don't want to rehash all the other comments written about the CRI, because they are all pretty much on target, and they say pretty much the same thing. I'll try and supply some new material. This was my first stay at a nonhotel style accommodation.

I loved staying here. The room was all I needed, with simple yet noticeable touches of luxury, decor, and comfort.

I loved the open air, palapa shaded kitchen on the top floor. It would make chef Gordon Ramsey proud. And if it's the off season, you may very well have the kitchen all to yourself. Can't beat that. Eating out all the time can get really old I know.

As I said, I was a long term guest, using it as a base for diving and exploring the island. The location of the CRI is just terrific. It is at an intersection. On one side is the beautiful catholic church, and I enjoyed hearing the church bells (the mass is interesting if you know Spanish). If otherwise inclined, another corner has a bar and restaurant (never tried but went inside). So you can partake and stumble home in total safety (I was here long enough to make that declaration). The other corner has a park, which few seem to visit.

There are some simple local restaurants nearby, NOT touristy restaurants. I loved Chilangos for lunch, and Sylvias for breakfast. By the way, the map on TA for Chilango's is all wrong, it's almost right by the CRI (and it's a home kitchen restaurant). These are economical local choices. I also went to Arabian Tacos and CoffeeMatik (both near the large sports field opposite area of the CRI). Of course Leona can give you directions to all these places. The CRI is located in a pleasant and safe neighborhood, but it's not too far from anything. How can I forget the Chedraui supermarket (one of the ATMs does dispense dollars btw).

One past reviewer of CRI complained about getting your scuba equipment to your dive shop in the morning and how difficult it was from the CRI location. Well, I used Studio Blue, and they will pick you up at the CRI (you may have to show them on a map if you don't remember where it is). If a dive shop won't pick you up from the CRI, I'd consider getting a new one, I am sure many will and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of dive shops in this town. Problem solved.

Jerry and Leona take pride in the CRI and take personal interest in their guests, and they will always remember you whenever you decide to return in the future. I am glad the CRI is so highly ranked in CZM, it is deserved.

Also on Sunday nights there is a variety and comedy show in the area in front of the town hall just down the road near Chedraui. But if you don't speak very good Spanish, it might not be very fun. But it's good for all the local food vendors and people watching still.

On a side note, if you are interested in the local town, and not just attractions, Cozumel is a pleasant, safe, and quirky town with friendly people. Take the time to explore it if you have the chance. I have been to many towns in developing countries which are unsafe, filthy dumps. Cozumel is actually an amazingly safe and pleasant place. And it's easy to move away from the tourist zone where you are constantly being pestered. The CRI is not in the tourist zone, but very close if you want to pay a visit.

Safe and pleasant travels to all! Thanks for taking all the time to read my comments.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank desertdiablo

Reviewed 9 July 2015

We travel to Cozumel ofter, but previously always by cruise ship. This was our first fly in and stay, so I was a little apprehensive, but pleasantly surprised by what I found at the Coral Reef Inn. It was very conveniently located walking distance to most places. Clean doesn't quite describe it, more like spotless. The owners where so so did is say so very nice. I have done much traveling, stayed in many B&B's, hotels, motels, and suites, this ranks a my top spot.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2015 via mobile

So there's this little place that I know, and I'll share the secret.
Coral reef inn is perfect from the spacious, clean air condition rooms, the bathrooms are fantastic could spend all day in there.
The fully equipped kitchen with a beautiful view on the roof, quaint, quiet, relaxing this was the best place I have stayed yet.
5 minute walk to the sunset, to the supermarket and the hustle and bustle of life on the island, I highly recommend staying here over any hotel, just be careful, you may never want to leave!
You couldn't ask for two nicer people to be running the place, so helpful and seem as though they are just there to please everyone. Need anything or want any recommendations just go ring the bell.
I'll be back I hope you guys go here!

Stayed: May 2015
Reviewed 16 June 2015 via mobile

Stayed for a week with my son. Clean, comfortable and under 10 mins to supermarket and bars etc and Dive Paradise. Owners are chilled and helpful - you want to know who/what//where and they will know. Great set up, and if G&L are reading this Mr Taco was great - thanks

Stayed: June 2015
2  Thank Paul T
Reviewed 12 June 2015 via mobile

What a nice place to stay. Gerry and Leona must be two of the nicest people you could ever meet and their Inn is just homely and comfortable. They know where to eat, shop, rent cars etc and nothing is too much trouble. Want an easy care free stay that's local to the centre then Coral Reef is the place - Paul Ben and Vicki will be back

Stayed: June 2015