All reviews sister hotel casa mexicana air conditioner living room block walk burner cooktop separate living main plaza breakfast buffet downtown square stayed here for a week flat screen san miguel large bathroom ferry pier over christmas ceiling fan
Reviewed 6 January 2018

Located right on the beaten path about a block from the downtown square, Suites Colonial is close to everything - food, shopping, ferry terminal, and dive boat dock. Over the Christmas holiday I spent 10 days diving. I found the hotel to be spotless, incredibly quiet considering the location, the staff friendly and attentive, and the rooms spacious. Beds and pillows were surprisingly comfortable, the air conditioner quiet and effective, and the flatscreen TV had many English language channels in high definition. Part of traveling is knowing what you are getting into. We knew the hotel had no balconies, no pool, and no onsite restaurant. That was just fine. A nice (and included) breakfast buffet was available a short walk away and great restaurants are literally footsteps from the entry. If you are a diver and you are picking up boats at the Aldora Pier, this is the perfect spot to be, not to mention being just a 4-minute walk to the Playa del Carmen ferry pier. Daily maid service was very good. The living room and strong ceiling fan provides plenty of opportunity to dry out your gear. This is a great place to station yourself for diving the island while avoiding all-inclusive options.

Room Tip: Room 203 was very quiet; two double beds and a large living room
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Cubric
ConciergeCasaMex, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Suites Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2018

Dear guest,

Thanks for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback! It’s been a pleasure to welcome and serve you during your stay. We await your next visit.

Reviewed 16 July 2017

My husband and I stayed here for a week and enjoyed the accommodations. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean and the air conditioner was cool. Our room had a little efficiency kitchen with a fridge, sink and two burner cook top. The hotel is older and the bathrooms are dated, but everything is clean and working. It would be great if there was another TV in the sitting room. There is no pool, which was not a surprise, but I could not help thinking each time I looked at the vacant lot beside the hotel, that this property could really soar if they purchased that land and put in a nice pool and relaxation area. I would not call this a boutique hotel, it needs to be a little bit more elegant for that, but I do think it is charming and a fantastic deal.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
ConciergeCasaMex, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Suites Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comment it is very important for us. It’s been a pleasure to welcome and serve you during your stay. We await your next visit.

Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for a medical reason as I was seeing a dentist on the island and I became sick so I had to extend my stay.
Original room I was given was extremely noisy and has happens in Mexico you have maids just moving furniture around for hours and hours out of sheer boredom. They work them to death and pay them five dollars a day. Also they were installing windows on top of me and making a racket.
I needed to rest as per my doctor's orders and I asked the manager if she had a different room that was more quiet and she moved me up to the third-floor.
It was perfectly quiet and I was enjoying the room there but it was one of the small suites with the mini kitchen. Now I did not ask to be moved to a suite I just asked to be moved to a quiet room. However as I needed to extend my stay they asked me for a large price increase. Or I had to change my room for the third time. I was tired and not feeling well I really didn't want to change my room so I just checked out.
I will tell you that the management of this Hotel was extremely rude to me. She was very insistent I paid for more than my original booking - even though I had rebooked online . The hotel was 90% empty yet I had to vacate. You would think that they would give me a break because they knew I was not feeling well-and I did not ask for an upgraded room.
This is not a luxurious hotel it's just a plain simple hotel in the middle of town has nothing special to offer. Again all I wanted was a quiet place to recuperate.
One thing I cannot stand in this world is greed. I certainly hope the owner of this hotel chain sees my review and realizes that it was through their own fault that they lost a present and future guest as well as the income that I would've stayed another four nights -because I will never come back when people behave in a money hungry fashion. As a matter fact I just decided to leave Cozumel and go over to playa. Between this hotel that and the taxi drivers wanting to double your fares because it's off-season.
All taking advantage because they think that Americans are wealthy when most of us are not.
It's a very shameful way to treat guests.
Therefore I cannot recommend you stay at this hotel. They also own casa Mexicana and another hotel on the island. If I was the owner I would fire the manager. It's just a terrible way to treat a person, nonetheless a "" guest".
Turn on the plus side the breakfast was very good. Who served in the other sister hotel few blocks away.
As a top trip advisor contributor-having stayed at many hotels in Mexico and around the world, my recommendation is to avoid suites colonial hotel.
It's highly recommended on the island that you find a nice Airbnb. You get much more value for your money without the attitude.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
ConciergeCasaMex, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Suites Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comment it is very important for us. It has been a pleasure to welcome and serve you during your stay. We sincelrely apologize for the inconveniences caused during your stay.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to amend misunderstandings.

Reviewed 12 April 2017 via mobile

I meant to stay 4 nights...and ended up staying 2 weeks ~ if that tells u anything! It's right on the main walking street in town, but is set back a bit so it's quiet enough at night to sleep. You're one block from the water & two blocks from the ferry ~ basically, the perfect location. Staff are all very pleasant, and free breakfast over at their sister hotel (Casa Mexicana) is sensational! For the price, you can't beat it. Also, showers are hot with decent pressure ~ which can be hard to find south of the border. I would definitely stay again!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
GerenciaCMC, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Suites Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comment it is very important for us. It has been a pleasure to welcome and serve you during your stay. We await your next visit.

Reviewed 18 March 2017 via mobile

My wife and I found this place on a previous trip to Cozumel while staying at a resort. We loved how it looked so we decided to stay the next time we went. Well we just came home from staying there for ten days and it was everything we thought it would be. To the entrance to the rooms was as beautiful as pictured in our minds. You can tell that the owners and all the workers take pride in restoring this old hotel of 28 rooms only. Everything is updated and met all our needs. Now if your looking to stay here it's not a resort vacation we wanted to be downtown by all the action. They're plenty of restaurants everywhere I mean from big to small, chain restaurants too mom and pop places. We recommend going for walks and adventure out you will find the most gracious people and kind anywhere. With your stay you get free breakfast at its sister hotel 2 blocks away. It's buffet style and go see Santa at the grill she makes the best pancakes but before making them she always says hello and how are you. Before she starts what you want she waits for a good morning from you. The buffet is pretty much the same everyday but has plenty of options. After breakfast there is plenty to do so pack a bag so you don't have to go back to your room. To the shopping or sight seeing it was a wonderful stay. One thing you have to see is the water fountain show in the main square at 8:30-9:00 every night. They play music and a light show in the water it's a great place to end the night with an ice cream cone or homemade churros. There is a good amount of people that go every night so go early and get a good seat.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
GerenciaCMC, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Suites Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2017