“BEWARE!!!”

Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
NYC
“BEWARE!!!”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This is fara warning to all of you who are considering this resort to spend your money and precious vacation time.
besides the staff there is nothing else that can be pointed out as nice and positive.
3 weeks since we are back my 19 month daughter is still fighting the bacterial infection that she caught there. not to mention that my wife and my friendas son had also bee vomiting from an infevction as well from that same pool the last 3 days we were there. both with high fever.
that pool did not get a single drop of chlorin from the time we arrived there on saturday until the day we were to go back home. they only put it there once a week so you go figure what goes on inthere.
by tuesday it was so cloudy that you coiudnt see the bottom of it.( i used to be a lifeguard and trust me there is a diference). and believe me when ocean water gets all teh seaweed up and gets dirty you have to dip your self somewhere and you know that pool will be the first thing you go to.
Rooms smelled like stail wine cellars for some reason and the worst were the ones on the ground level.
We were moved numerous times from our spot on the beach because that same spot is aparently where all the weddings happen.
if you still decide to go dont take any of the tours. there are no tequila factories, no good spots for snorkling. you are better off renting a buggy on your own and going about the island.
just so you get a pisture, my friend who also went with us has a time share with Oxidental and he has been to a few of their resorts and he was deeply disapointed with it as well. Food and everything.

Room Tip: just dont go there
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank milan j
yamile c, Assitant Manager at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear milan j,
I am deeply concerned by your review. Guest safety and satisfaction are our number one priorities and we take all feedback very seriously. I will be reaching out to you directly today to further discuss your experience

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,132)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
winnipeg, MB
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Once again we returned to this resort for a week of diving. After 8 visits a bit of recognition for our loyal patronage would have been nice but that wont stop us from returning again next year.

This resort is the PERFECT location for someone planning on doing alot of diving. Cozumel is PERFECT for someone who wants a combination of both entertainment in town and diving. Its hard to find a place that offers a nice balance.

A few things have changed but for the most part its the same ole reliable stay. Good size rooms, beautifully kept property, very friendly staff (Miguel and Crystal are always especially friendly), clean rooms and great showers! We were on the 1st floor which tends to be a bit musty but all in all not a big deal. Be warned that the beds are really hard, and this is coming from someone who likes a firm bed. I always bring my own pillow b/c they are also really hard.

Pizza place has been moved to the Beach buffet area and a reso is required up until 9 and walk up is available after that. William (the manager at the pizza place) is pretty grumpy so be wary of trying to get in without a reso!!

Dive Palancar no longer operates out of the sister resort Allegro Cozumel - but somehow it seemed that we had to use their smaller boats for most of our diving...the big boats were always full but not with ppl from our resort it seemed...which i thought was a bit backwards.

Diving gets better and better every year after the hurricane of 05. But where have all the green morays gone!?

The food seemed better this year - maybe they have hired a new chef or maybe it was the fact that we didn't eat there every night so weren't sick of the food. Def reco you head into town and go to Prima's at least once!

And to my fellow Canadians - they make a great Caesar!!

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow if possible!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank sruddock
Okemos, Michigan
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Just got back from the OG and missing the sun and fun. Smaller resort, but lush and quiet. Great service from the restaurants to the maids, the desk to the dive shop. They all work very hard to make sure you are happy. Food was good, but kudos to Chef William and the pizza restaurant....and the grilled lobster...outstanding! The activities at the pool were great and the guys worked hard to get you involved....thanks Nick, Abby, for making new friends with my kids and Holy Monkey! You cannot go wrong with the location, great beach and snorkeling right off shore. Fed massive angel fish bread out of our hands! Walked up the beach to the Allegro and was happy we booked the OG for our family! The time share stuff, oh wait it's a vacation club! We could have done without the hard sell! But it was a raining morning, what else was there to do...

Room Tip: Building 19 was awesome....relaxation pool right out the door with its own bar. I would also agree w...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Bigmacks
Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed 7 April 2012

The Occidental Grand Cozumel is a very beautiful, quaint resort which is what I liked best about it. The grounds are just gorgeous! I was pleased with our room also - we were on the 3rd floor - requested because of other traveler reviews - and felt like we were in the middle of a jungle with a far off view of the ocean. We didn't get the building we requested but it was no big deal - you don't need to walk very far to get around in this resort. This may sound crazy but my favorite thing about the room was the shower - it had better pressure than any resort I have ever been in. The bed, at first, did seem hard but I was surprising pleased at how comfortable I found it to be and slept very well.

When we checked in, we were told we couldn't make dinner reservations until the next day. We showed up about 10 AM the next day to only be able to get 9:30 reservations and the person making reservations was not friendly at all. We did, however, decide to try going earlier and the restaurants were great about getting us in. The service was just fair and so was the food. The food in the entire resort was just ok - didn't have a very good presentation and they didn't keep everything filled on a regular basis. No big deal but good to know in advance.

The chairs on the beach do get taken WAY too early. The first time I went down to get one early was at 7:30 AM - got the last 2 chairs so I went at 7:00 from that point on - they were 1/4 to half filled at that time. We loved the huts on the beach and did hang out there most of the days - met a lot of great people while vacationing there.

We booked a couple tours through Bookit in the hotel - tours were fine but I wouldn't use them again. I can't say why but I feel we would have been better to go through another company. The tequila tour was a lot of fun - wasn't really sure what to expect but we did enjoy it. We also went on snorkeling and site seeing tours.

Be careful with your credit card!!!! I used mine twice - only twice and came home to fraud on my card which originated in a foreign country! I will pay more attention next time to what happens when I hand my card to someone!

SO, to sum it up...the place was gorgeous, met some wonderful people from various parts of the world, had a relaxing time but would try another resort in Cozumel next time.

Room Tip: We were advised to go for a 3rd floor and were pleased that we did! You have to put your room key i...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debhw
Pendleton, Oregon
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I travelled with my family to Cozumel from March 23 to March 31, 2012. The property is lovely, with luscious vegetation and brightly colored buildings. The staff is friendly and eager to assist. I overheard one mom complaining that there was not a lot for the kids to do (This makes no sense to me as we were sitting on a beautiful white sand beach, with the Caribbean beckoning.) My kids were always busy and happy to swim, snorkel, play ping pong or beach volleyball, walk on the beach, etc... The food was good and provided plenty of variety for every meal. I primarily ate fish, fresh fruit and of course the desserts! The entire family loved the fire show. We would definitely go back to this resort.

Room Tip: The resort has bedrooms that are connected by a living room and dining area.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family