“Great Spot For Diving”

Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Spot For Diving”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

The hotel property is very nice. Spread out but that adds to appeal unless you don't like to walk. We were staying there 5 nights which entitled us to 2 nights at ala carte restaurants, except when we went to make reservations, there were none available for the 5 nights. This is not right!!! Lots of people who know how to make most of all you can drink. Never seen so many people bring their own mugs to a vacation. Food was very tasty and service was very good. It has perfect location for Cozumel diving. Only 2 minutes to Santa Rosa wall. 20 minutes and $18 to get to town.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Dominic C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,117)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 February 2012

First id like to say its a beautiful hotels lush vegatation beautiful buildings, and beach.. our room was supposed to be a non smoking room, it wasnt smelled like smoke and had ashtraays on the tables......and beings we were on our honeymoon my husband went all out for the grand romance package....dont do it waste of money we spent one whole day on the phone trying to get them to provide what we paid for on arrival we were to have chocolate strawberries and champagne in the room, there was none could get a reseverration into the specality resteraunts none of them even though it was in our package we had free 10 item laundry service that we paid for in the end.. we were to have in room couples massage that didnt happen either they finally on our last5 day tried to cram what we paid for and didnt get all into about 8 hrs.... staff was inexperienced on how to handle changes from the normal check in to the grand romance, and when questioned about why we didnt have what we paid for they were rude and treated you like they were doing you a favor for you being there spent our second day on the phone back to the states at 2.99 a minute to get things lined out worst place i ever stayed but the way i see it its there loss me and my husband vacation about 10 weeks out of the year and was looking for a hotel chain that we liked well truth being said the OCC chain we will never stay in again thanks OCC for ruining my honeymoon

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mandyr499
yamile c, Assitant Manager at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Dear mandy r,
Please accept our apologies on behalf of the entire staff at Occidental Grand Cozumel. I am saddened and deeply concerned by your comments. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority and we take feedback very seriously.

Thank you for mentioning the non-smoking room. I will speak with the manager to find ways to maintain a smoke free environment in the smoke free rooms.

Regarding the honeymoon packages, the hotel offers three types. One is complementary and includes: special check in at the Guest Service Desk, continental breakfast served to the room (one day per stay),a special recognition announcement in the internal newspaper, a 10 % couple massage discount, turn down service nightly and room upgrade at check in time (based on availability). There are two more packages for additional costs. You chose the first of these, which includes: a bottle of champagne and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries, a breakfast served to your room (one per stay), a special dinner at la Carreta (the Royal Club restaurant), one free Swedish massage per person at Grand Spa, 10 percent discount on additional spa services and a room upgrade at check inn (based on availability). The additional amenities you describe are part of our Premium Honeymoon package, which costs slightly more than the package you chose.

I am very sorry to hear that our honeymoon upgrade did not meet your expectations. I understand that you experienced a one day delay in receiving the amenities. I am speaking with the concierge to prevent this from ever happening again in the future. We have also been working with our customer service team and your travel agent to issue your refund for the package in a timely fashion.

I am especially concerned with your feedback about our concierge’s services. It is a Hotel policy that any reported issue is recorded and dealt with immediately. They usually are friendly and accommodating and we often receive very good reviews about their service. I will personally share your feedback with the manager to correct this matter.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences experienced during your stay. I will be reaching out to you directly through TripAdvisor to discuss your comments in more detail.
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2012

The Occidental Grand Cozumel is a very nice, family friendly resort. Sandra and her team of Abby, Yuanmario, Daniel and Jesus made this vacation for our family (2 adults and an 8 year old). My son is leaving have made 4 new best friends and is currently begging us to stay longer (we've been here almost 2 weeks). The kids club program does a great job keeping the kids active and amused in a social way. They have a good mix of pool, beach and quieter arts and crafts activities. This is not a babysitting service and is best for kids six and up. Younger kids are welcomed to participate but need parental supervision. Adult activities are a good mix and the staff works hard to meet the needs of the customers. If no one wants to play pool volleyball, they switch gears and work hard to figure out what people do want to do.
We have stayed at 5 star resorts in the Caribbean (beaches) and this is not on par with that, based on the selection and quality of food and some of the little things. It is also not as expensive. I would rate this as a good quality experience that it would recommend to others. I do agree wit the comments about bar line ups, lack of food choices with there being periods of time when there is nothing open, which makes it hard with kids. The staff are all very friendly and go out of their way to assist you.

Room Tip: We were in building 12 and it was good quality, clean rooms. We had an issue with the air conditione...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank LeeTimHunter
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 February 2012

The brochure promise was not lived up to! There were not four pools as promised unless you count the extra large jacuzzi in the 'Royal Club' private area and the tiny jacuzzi (which was not working during our visit) in the spa. The grounds were nice, lush vegetation, iguanas everywhere. As a vegetarian, I had difficulties with the food (who wants to eat salad all day) but, in fairness, once I complained, an effort was made to ensure there was enough choice for me. There is a bar at the main pool which unfortunately closes at 5pm every day, before sunset, so sitting on the beach with a drink watching the sunset meant walking quite a distance to the main hotel first as it is quite spread out. I noticed lots of people with drink containers who obviously knew about this and came prepared. There is a bar at the second pool but it was never open. The rooms were ok, decor a bit jaded. I did not like the fact that my wardrobe, fridge for drinks and safe were all in the bathroom, definitely needs a change! The staff were exceedingly friendly and very helpful. Did not like the hard sell from the 'holiday club' reps. Hotel was very clean.

Room Tip: buildings are spread out so you have to choose between being near to the beach or near to the main h...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Stitcherkf
Rockwood, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My wife and I decided to finally do our honeymoon - 7 months after we got married. We decided on Cozumel for the diving and chose the Occidental Grand because of the reviews we saw for it online. There weren't too many negative reviews compared to other resorts. Now we've travelled to the Riviera Maya before and that was our only point of reference for Mexico. I found the resort to be more than good enough if you are a couple looking for relaxation and to make some friends. This resort, being as small as it is, is hard to compare to the huge resorts in the Riviera Maya. I loved this resort, but I'm a special kind of guy. Service was sometimes slow, especially while waiting for the pool bar. They only have one bartender working there and the wait is usually about 5 minutes long. I did not mind this at all as I am a very social guy and it gave me the opportunity to chat everyone up that was waiting in line. By the end of our trip I knew a large portion of the resort, including both the guests and the staff. This resort has a "homey" feel to it. With it's smaller size, all of the guests become bonded to each other in a way. I loved this. This might not be what some people are after. The food was better than I expected and the liquor selection was top notch. No limitations in terms of top shelf bottles. I was really pleased with this as I was drinking quality, name brand alcohol for most of the week. As for the diving, I am certified but my wife had never done it before. On Valentines Day my wife and I did a beautiful dive together for the first time. So romantic. The staff in the dive shop were always available, friendly and most importantly SAFE. The reefs are amazing. The evening shows were small but for the most part wonderful. The shows were put on by paid entertainers - no staff members forced to dance around and entertain drunken tourists like at many other resorts I've been to. All in all, my wife and I had a wonderful honeymoon. Lots of friends, memories and drunken stories were made. My advice to anyone looking to stay here - be social. It'll make the stay so much better. Oh yeah - the weather was great too!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple