“Top Value, Great Service, Nice Amenities & Staff”

Amigos Hostel Cozumel
Cozumel, Mexico
“Top Value, Great Service, Nice Amenities & Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2006

I visit Cozumel 3-4 times a year & recently stayed at Amigo's for the first time. I've put it at the top of my list for future trips & am worried that this review may hurt my chances of finding a room!

Amigo's is within walking distance of everything. The garden is large, the pool is fantastic -- you can actually swim in it! The property is quiet and private and lovely -- I felt like I'd rented a villa without the hassle or expense. Rooms are clean & large but not fancy. There's plenty of hot water and pressure in the shower. Everything, including dish soap & scrubber, is provided. Kathy and her staff will welcome you as family or leave you alone at your option -- they're wonderful hosts who work hard to ensure that you have a good trip.

I've read reviews that describe Kathy as overly rule-bound. I disagree. Cozumel is an island with limited resources and unlimited garbage. Kathy's concerned about the environment there. Most of her guidelines are quite reasonable given those circumstances and none are difficult on her guests.

Although I primarily dive with another operator, I highly recommend the house DM, Victor Brito. He's a fun & lively, full-service, one-boat operator; an excellent and compassionate instructor; and Victor is regarded by those in the know as the most knowledgeable person on Cozumel about life out on the reefs. His captain, Willie, is an able boat handler, mask washer, diver caretaker -- together they're a fantastic team. I regret that I was only able to go out with them for one day during this trip.

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank ds2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2006

My husband and I did our scuba dive certification with Victor Brito while staying at Amigo's for 8 nights. It was wonderful. The gardens are beautiful, the people are wonderful, the location is just great. Kathy was very helpful to us with anything we needed. It was great eating our breakfast in the outdoors. Our room was great and the pool was very refreshing after a day in the ocean.
We had a wonderful time and will definiately go back to Amigo's the next time we visit the wonderful Cozumel. Next year we hope.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Macomb MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2006

I,ve stayed at Amigos twice in the last 2 months and I found it to be an excellent low budget facility.
Kathy and her staff went out of there way to make sure things were to my liking.
The room was comfortable and the kitchenette was fully equipped with dishes, etc for those desiring to prepare food.
I wasn't sure when I went there in Dec 2005 what I would find after Wilma had hit there, but Amigos clean up and had things back together shortly after it hit.
The garden is now recovering nicely from Wilma and should be real beautiful soon.

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank walper
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2006

From the min. we walked through the gates we were treated like family. Kathy had our room ready and spent time telling us all about the Island. The garden and pool area are fantastic. A great place to relax and forget there is an outside world. The room we had was great. There were three of us and we had plenty of room. More room than the average hotel. The entire staff was extremely friendly. Her children Tati and Zak were an added pleasure to be with. Although they are busy with their own things they made time to talk about the Mexican culture. Breakfast in the morning was wonderful. It was so nice just walking out the door and having breakfast ready for you. A good varity was waiting. Kathy makes the best muffins. I won't tell you how many I ate each morning. Only my clothes give away the secret. Kathy made sure that we knew where we were going each day. She reccommended certain local restaurants Alll wonderful. Somehow Kathy found out that it was my birthday and had a party for me with the other guests. What an added treat. The only negative that I found was that I had to go home after a week. Should have stayed for 2 Mybe next time.

• Stayed September 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2005

My daughter and I stayed at Amigos B&B during Easter week 2005. The pool and gardens reminded us of the Garden of Eden; but, there were some problems.

1) Our room had black mold and mildew, and when I told Kathy, the owner, she did nothing to rectify the problem.

2) The airconditioners are extremely old. They're loud and noisy and do not work very well. It took a long time for our room to cool down, and we were not allowed to keep the AC on when we were out of the room.

3) The owners do not make you feel like "Amigos."

We really enjoyed the other guests at the B&B, many of whom were British. But Kathy Kopelman was quite inhospitable to us -- even though her husband is very gracious, she is very standoffish and not very warm to her guests.

When I made my initial reservation, I told Kathy that we had a 6 p.m. flight -- our airline only had one flight back to our home each day. So Kathy told me that after we left our room we could leave our bags in the palapa area until it was time to go to the airport. On our departure day, Kathy was obviously miffed when I asked her if we could leave our bags in the palapa area. It was quite clear that she wanted us out. So we hailed a taxi and spent the rest of the afternoon in the Cozumel airport.

We loved Cozumel and will return someday; however, due to the way were treated, we will find another place to stay.

• Stayed March 2005