“Romantic gem of the Island” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Playa Azul Golf, Scuba, Spa

Playa Azul Golf, Scuba, Spa
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
MI
“Romantic gem of the Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2009

I have visited MANY hotels on the Island (stayed in a few besides Playa Azul) and come to Coz once or twice a year since 1997. Playa Azul is the BEST Hotel on the Island for everything I want including:

-Ocean views
-Direct walk out from room to beach (no elevator, chilly hallways in wet swim suits) if you get a first floor room
-Small
-Quiet
-Personal attention from staff
-Good snorkeling from hotel
-Sandy Beach AND rocky areas to see all sorts of sealife
-NO Poolside music

...we got remarried under the pergola at sunset on our 10th anniversary (April 17, 2009). It was stunningly perfect. We had a drink at the beach bar after (thanks Marcial, Kermit and Filippe, who are always ready with a smile and a cold Sol or Kahlua Colada).

Breakfasts at Playa always come with your stay; Carlos or Juan always made sure I had my milk (with ice - don't laugh) before I even sat down.

Lunch at the Beach club or restaurant (great cheeseburgers, club sandwiches, guacamole).

It's quiet at night, you get to enjoy the Sunday Salsa lessons and music at the Beach club next door, and you can always get a chair at the beach.

Snorkeling is wonderful, no need to travel from the hotel to see lots of Baracuda, pufferfish, a few squid, needlefish and much more...

We have seen dolphins a few times from the shore, and pelicans that fish right at the waters edge.

There is no musty smell in the rooms; I am allergic to mold.

The only thing Playa needs is an outdoor Hot Tub.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JLOMi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
NASHVILLE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2009

Playa Azul was exactly what we were looking for . My husband & I ( in our late 30's) and my parents ( age 60's ) stayed at this resort. My husband and I have vacationed in Mexico 7 times prior, this was our 1st stay in Cozumel. We have previously stayed at All Inclusive and European style resorts. We do not scuba or golf. We choose to vacation in Mexico for the great weather, beautiful water, nice people, snorkeling, and intriguing ruins.

We chose this resort based on the great reviews on TA, fit our budget, proximity to town, beautiful views from rooms, and relaxation. What we liked most about this resort is the staff are the friendliest we have ever encountered and are very accomodating. All the staff work very hard and are to be praised. The resort is very clean and maintained well. I believe all the rooms have some kind of ocean view. We loved the relaxed atmosphere- but of course San Miguel is close to find a party/action. We snorkled at the resort and enjoyed swimming in the ocean and pool. Breakfast was very good. We had lunch several times at the resort and it was very good as well. We usually ate dinner in town every evening. We had purchased a cooler from a grocery store in town and requested a bag of ice from the bar- no problem. Beach towels are provided. plenty of parking for our rental car. ATM at the Melia Resort north of Playa Azul came in handy.

The resort is located conveniently for all the different ineterests in our group. My husband likes to snorkel, swim, hang out in town. Mother enjoyed taking the ferry to Playa Del Carmen and hiring a cab driver for the day to see the Coba and Tulum ruins (Taxi driver 120 USD for the day). Stepfather enjoyed site seeing driving around the island. I enjoyed relaxing and sunbathing.

Cozumel is very safe. We usually don't stay at the same resort twice but plan on returning to Playa Azul next year because we enjoyed our stay so much. We Also plan of finally learning to scuba dive. This vacation was special because we brought my parents with ( once in a lifetime trip together). Thanks to all the staff at Playa Azul for making this vacation special.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NashvilleMoonbeam
Abilene, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2009

My husband and I stayed here from March 6 – 12. This was our second trip to Cozumel, and we stayed at the Iberostar the first time, so we were eager to try a non-all inclusive hotel, and get out a little more. From the moment we walked into the lobby we felt at peace. The hotel’s décor is beautiful and quiet. Check-in was very easy, and within minutes we were in our room.
I had decided to splurge on a master suite, and we were so happy! We had the top floor room with vaulted ceilings and a fantastic view. The upgrade cost us $95 a day, but we were able to have double the space, with a couch, two chairs, extra window, Jacuzzi tub on the balcony, robes and slippers. We were able to keep the slippers, but left the robe (no clue how much that would have cost.) To us the room does make a difference because we spend a lot of time there on the balcony, and we felt like we had complete privacy. We were able to see into some of the other rooms – they looked identical to ours minus the living room area. The Jacuzzi tub was nice – I only used it once, but it was a thrill to be taking a bath outside, listening to the waves crash and watching the cruise ships go by.
The room was never musty smelling. It had a great closet, safe, separate sink area from the toilet/shower area. The housekeeping staff was fantastic – that room stayed spotless – they even swept the balcony daily and picked up the beer cans. The coffee was excellent, and they provided plenty of large bottles of water. We requested a mini-frig when we checked in and it was waiting for us when we got back from lunch. It took a couple of days to actually get cold enough, but we were grateful to have it.
The restaurants were good. I am still missing the breakfasts! We ate a couple of times at the beach club next door – very convenient because you can charge to the room from there. I really liked the hotel’s cheeseburgers (for some reason I really wanted a cheeseburger!) We never had a problem getting service or being denied anything – we even got a whole bag of ice before we went to the east side. The only problem we had was at the gift shop. My husband bought cigarettes there daily, and the price changed every day. I tried to argue with the lady what the price was the day before, she was adamant about the cost. They were horribly overpriced anyway, so we found a convenience store on the edge of town and got a supply.
We enjoyed our stay there immensely. It was very quiet, yet with the beach club next door, it could be lively at times. It suited us perfectly!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kddy
Ancaster, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Playa Azul from Feb 15 to 22. The hotel and our vacation in Cozumel exceeded our expectations and we would return for sure. Here is short list of highlights:

1. The Hotel: Lovely breakfast everyday, beautiful location, water colour is stunningly beautiful and so clear, staff were all very friendly and attentive, room was nice with the best part being the balcony ovelooking the ocean, very clean. Golf at the Cozumel Golf Club was great. Loved all the wildlife on the course. Snorkeling off the hotel beach was fun and we saw quite a few fish. Bonus : Hotel is only 5 minutes from the airport!

2. Pro Dive Centre: This dive group is affiliated with the Azul and located right next to it. My husband and I tried Scuba Diving for the first time and would highly recommend using Pro Dive. Sharif and Pablo were excellent instructors. They went way above and beyond to ensure we enjoyed the experience and were safe. Also great passion for the sport. Saw so much amazing life on the reefs including an Eagle Ray. The highlight of our trip.

3. Food: We really enjoyed trying the various restaurants on the island and were happy we did not do the all inclusive thing. Our favorites were Kinta(went twice), La Calenda, Especias, Guidos and Coconuts (East side). The Playa Azul beach club next door to the hotel has great food/drinks is reasonable and staff are great. Nice spot for lunch. Sundays are very busy there with live music.

4. Travelling Around: We rented a converable VW from Isis car rental for the week and would recommend it. We had great fun exploring the island. Going to the East side is a must. Punta Sur was very beautiful. Make sure you climb the lighthouse and spend some time on the fabulous beach. Playa Palancar is also worth a visit. Very relaxing, great beach and good food/drinks.

5. Carnaval : Parade on Saturday night was something to see and we would recommend going at this time of year so you can enjoy the festivites.

6. Flight : Went with Sunwing and we were happy with the flights both ways from Toronto airport and Cozumel.

Besides getting sea sick on the ferry to Playa Del Carmen and getting a flat tire, the trip was almost perfect. We hope to be back real soon. Next week maybe?!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cantwaitx2
Thornton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2009

My wife and I just returned to Thornton Colorado after having stayed at Playa Azul for just the 3rd time. We've stayed at a couple of other larger resorts on the island but they don't come as close to making us feel as welcome. As Carlos greeted me on our previous visit with "welcome home', it certainly has felt that way with each of our stays. Hernan at the front desk has always been a tremendous help. Carlos in the restaurant as always gets our day started off with a warm buenos dias and a big smile at breakfast. The staff is always friendly and ready to help you with any questions or needs. The housekeepers, groundskeepers, cooks, bartenders, wait staff and maintenance workers, I wish I knew everyone's name so that I could thank each one of you individually for always making our stay very relaxing and enjoyable. Until next year.

• Liked — The hotel staff
  • Disliked — Public beach next door.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Dragonass