2,026 results
All reviews scuba du reef room outdoor shower le cap el caribeno best hotel on the island fish dive shop main restaurant breakfast buffet tennis courts outdoor restaurant adult pool ocean front private beach hotel property turn down service
Reviewed 19 June 2005

My husband, our 3-year-old son and I just returned from a 5-night stay at the InterContinental Cozumel (June 2005).

We really only found 2 big positives with this hotel.
1. Even though the beach is small, the snorkeling off of it is truly AMAZING.
2. The staff is very friendly and most helpful.

OUR ROOM:
-3rd floor with enjoyable sunset views over the water.
-The room size was a little bigger than average.
-There was no in-room safe. But there are safety boxes available near the front desk. This was a bit inconvenient for us. We had to keep carrying our son's portable DVD player back and forth, etc...
-There was no iron nor ironing board. We had to ask for one.
-We had to keep the air conditioner on high all the time or condensation would appear on the walls as well as water on the floor. Our son slipped a couple of times.
-Small bathroom with a shower only, no tub. It was fine for us but it would be inconvenient for parents who have smaller kids. While taking a shower, the water would go from hot to cold.
-The mini-bar is not in any type of nook, but on the floor against the wall, sort of right there. Mini-bar keys are not given out so we had to have them lock it because our toddler would go into it to grab things.

POOL: Small. No real shallow areas or kiddie pool.

RESTAURANTS/FOOD: There are 2 restaurants at the hotel.
1. The main and casual one is open-air, housed under an enormous palapas with view of the water...a really nice setting.
-Breakfast: is a buffet affair. We thought it was pretty good. Fruits are fresh and the cook made great eggs.
-Lunch: We thought the food was average.
-Dinner: We had dinner there only once. We chose the buffet and it was very good.
The BIG problem with this open-air restaurant were the FLIES. There were lots of them. We thought they were getting worse by the day. Who enjoys eating with one hand and swatting flies with the other? The hotel needs to figure out a way to get rid of them.

2. The other restaurant is indoor and called Alfredo's (obviously Italian). We dined there one night. My husband had the lasagna and I had the beef tenderloin. Our food was EXCELLENT. It's a nicer restaurant with big windows with views of the beach/water. There was a guitar player who played songs from Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" to Latin Music. Very nice.

WEATHER: It was hot and humid. We had one afternoon of heavy rains due to Tropical Storm Arlene.

We'd recommend renting a car for a couple of days to see the island. We went to the town of San Miguel, the San Gervasio Ruins (it was okay, does not compare of course to Tulum, Coba nor Chichen Itza) and drove to the southern and eastern coasts. On the southern tip, there's a Bob Marley Shanty Town. Yes, in Cozumel! Who knew?? Totally worth the drive (the town is really just a place to stop over, sit down for a drink and view the waves crashing onto the shoreline).
We really enjoyed the drive down and up the coasts.

The hotel grew on us after a couple of days, but we had much higher expectations. Overall, we were disappointed in this InterContinental as the little things added up.

Date of stay: June 2005
19  Thank MrsTraveler
Reviewed 16 June 2005

We were married in September 2004 in Cozumel. We stayed at the Presidente Intercontinental. We have been to lots of beach destinations, but this one was by far the best. First of all the resort is immaculate. There is constant upkeep of this place. The staff is very polite and professional, especially Martha Paredes, who helped with the flowers, music, location, and dinner reservations for our ceremony. The manager also upgraded us to the honeymoon suite for 2 weeks! Which was absolutely stunning. Martha really made our wedding the most beautiful and memorable day of our lives and seven of our closets friends. Everyone that attended loved the resort and the service. They all want to go back, and we are definitely going back soon. The snorkeling was amazing and right in front of the resort. The food at the Alfredo Di Roma restaurant, was great. I highly recommend the homemade ravioli, best i've ever had. I had it 4 nights in a row. This is the best vacation my husband and I have ever taken and we have been to many places. You will not be disappointed.

11  Thank sandiego7
Reviewed 10 June 2005

My family and I just returned from 5 nites at this resort and here goes my report.

I had booked an superior ocean view room, however it was not what we had expected. Upon check in the cashier was immediately trying to sell me an upgrade which I declined, when we got to our room it was certainly not the room I had viewed on their website, it was pretty weak !!! We immediately went back to the front desk and started discussing our options, We finally wound up with an OCEAN Front REEF ROOM for an ADDITIONAL $150.00 per nite, We had no choice !!! Our experience was pretty good after this one hour BS session. It turned out many folks had gone thru the EXACT same excercise. And were all pretty bitter about it.
Food was pretty good at the restaurant however do try to get away from the hotel at night for dinner, there are several great placescto eat, our favorite was Guidos, Aquaria and Panchos back yard and El Moro. The dive shop is pretty fair and GREAT snorkeling right there at the resort.
The towel policy is a complete joke, I have never felt so compelled to have to try to keep up with the beach towels, THEY WILL charge you if you fail to returnit and get your towel card. Cheeseburgers out on the beach at the hut were pretty AWESOME!!!! You MUST get a REEF ROOM around the 3100 number ODD only or Im afraid you will be very dissapointed. (even numbers are garden view and thats terrible )

Good Luck and feel free to e-mail me at BMWWADE@AOL.COM if you have any specific questions. If you go to Cozumel its probably your best bet.

Date of stay: June 2005
16  Thank bmwwade
Reviewed 7 June 2005

Just returned from a dive trip to Cozumel. Stayed at the El Presidente this time.

- Staff is very friendly and nice (same as in most of Mexico/Latin America). Thorough and detailed maid service.

- Free Purified water is a nice plus.

- Only 2 restaurants. We didn't bother with the Italian place (too formal/stuffy looking). The other one (forgot the name -- the open-air one by the water) was good. Nice open atmosphere. Really good food for a resort. Very expensive, though.

- Snorkelling right off the beach/shore is fantastic. Very convenient too.

- Didn't use the onsite diveshop - went with one in-town that picked us up from the pier. Very convenient!

- Room was spacious and room - nice balcony and chairs. Bathroom was a bit odd (the doors on the shower and WC had a 1-2 inch gap around the border - very little privacy!)

- Bed was fine - comfortable with plenty of pillows. Very large bathtowels & robes.

- Rinse area by pool for scuba equipment was convenient.

- A bit far from town - only a $5 taxicab ride, but not walking distance. No stores/restaurants/bars within walking distance.

- Quiet resort - best for families/couples/those looking for r&r (bar/restaurnat shuts down by 10ish). It was not overrun with loud kids and tacky group activities.

Pros:
- Convenient to dive spots (only 5-20 minute boat ride versus those in town). Most dive shops will pick you up at the pier.
- Great beach-area and snorkelling onsite
- Easy reach to town
- Nice pool
- Very safe

Cons:
- Bathroom was odd (no privacy for WC and shower)
- Style is a bit out-dated (but then, so is the rest of Cozumel!)
- Limited restaurant/bar choices.
- No stores/restaurants/bars within walking distance

Date of stay: May 2005
17  Thank Passport10920
Reviewed 29 May 2005

El Presidente , We stayed there for one week, the room was very nice and the people nice.
I got sick from some shrimp I had eaten at their restaruant , I had to go to the hospital because I was that sick and they kept me there 4 hours with IV fluids and antibiotics. I had been vomiting and had diarrhea which made me dehydrated.
My bill was 1,000 US dollars.
I asked the hotel to help me pay the bill since I had gotten sick from their food but they did not help me.
The manager said next time I come back he would do something special for me and up grade my room etc... I did not find that very comforting.
I lost 2 days of diving and 3 days of my vacation.
I was not too happy when I left there.
You would think that a nice hotel like that one would have helped with the bill , but I guess not.
I do not think I will return there again.

Date of stay: May 2005