We are not all-inclusive travellers. I am a self-proclaimed cheapskate who looks for value in all that I do and my wife is a saint for putting up with me. That said, we had a very nice stay for the week. First a bit about the resort location. We wanted to be away from the cruise piers as we didn't want the hotel property overrun by cruise guests every day as some hotels are. The Presidente was perfect. The hotel is gated and cruise ship tourists are not allowed in. We were in Cozumel over our spring break but the hotel never felt busy (i.e. we never struggled to get beach chairs or a table at breakfast).
The down side of the location, however, is that you are about 3.5 miles from town. We like to explore the regions we travel by foot, poking around in local restaurants and straying off the beaten path. There are no restaurants or stores within walking distance to the Presidente save one (Moneybar -- a fifteen minute walk south). In fact, there is no sidewalk to the south of the property so walking at night is not recommended because of car traffic. Taxis are very easy to get at the hotel and cost $90 pesos (US$7.50) into town. If you don't have pesos, you are charged US$10. Very easy to find taxis to return as well but it is $16 round trip. There are two fairly-upscale dinner options (plus room service) at the property but if you want anything else, it requires a taxi trip to town.
Very comfortable property and friendly service but also more than I usually pay for a hotel/resort. First, there is no reason not to join the Ambassador program as explained in other posts. Your one free night upon joining pays for the program membership and then your room is upgraded for the duration of the stay which is worth up to $200 a night.
We stayed in both the Ocean View and Ocean Front rooms and, contrary to what other reviewers recommend, I would not pay much more for an Ocean Front room. OF was slightly larger and had an enclosed, but outdoor, rain shower. Our OV room was on the first floor and so opened, basically, right onto the beach as well. We were upgraded to OF (from Pool View) because of the Ambassador membership.
I would not recommend buying the breakfast buffett package. The buffett is wonderful and a lot of food but is about $25/person. We ate breakfast there twice (otherwise too much food before our dive mornings) and there were great options off the menu for under $10 which I preferred. I (and my kids) would have had trouble getting my money's worth if I had purchased the breakast package. Also, there is a children's rate for the buffett which wasn't offered as part of the package.
We ate dinner under the big palapa one night and had a nice experience. The service was friendly but a bit distracted and piece meal. Very nice setting but resort prices. I was glad we tried other in-town options for the other nights.
Overall, we had a very nice stay and I am glad we splurged and stayed at the Presidente. It had everything we wanted (pool, beach, diving) and was safe and comfortable for both adults and kids. I gave it four stars (rather than five) because of the cost.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa is the perfect balance of energy and ease. Adventurers love the scuba centre and nearby Chankanaab Park. Bringing the kids? The resort s Chiqui Club will keep them busy all day. When you want a slightly slower pace, you can head for our stretch of white sand, the exotic Mandara Spa or Cozumel s shops.After a 25 million dollar investment, this resort offers upgraded facilities and a unique vacation experience for the discerning traveler. The place to discover three experiences: great Dive, unique Spa treatments and Golf. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Wotif.com, IHG, Expedia APAC, Hooroo Pty Ltd, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, lastminute.com.au, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Presidente Intercontinental Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Presidente Intercontinental Cozumel Resort And Spa
- Intercontinental Cozumel
- El Presidente Cozumel
- Cozumel Presidente