“Spearfishing in Cozumel”

Spearfishing Today Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: The original spearfishing adventure on Cozumel. Come for the thrill of shooting your own fish. You wanna learn how to spear? Or you just need a guide? Contact us! We will make sure that there will be memories of a lifetime! Check out our website with recent pictures!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Spearfishing in Cozumel”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We went spearfishing in Cozumel. They partnered us up with another couple and their young son. First of all Rodirigo was a great host and very pleasant to be around. He certainly could dive down pretty deep and stay there for awhile which was amusing to watch.

Unfortunatly we didn't spear any fish. Part of this is our fault due to our lack of diving skills. On top of this, it was a cloudy day where the water clarity was limited and the waves were large.

Here are a few suggestions for future customers that have limited snorkling experience and no diving/spear fishing experience.

1. The dive process was reviewed on the boat but once we got in the water, we were on our own. It was a lot of instruction to take in so we would suggest not only reviewing it on the boat but going through the dive process in the water, a little show and tell if you will.

2. Make sure the instructor doesn't get to far away from you. Rodrigo is a brilliant swimmer and much faster than us. We were trying to learn and practice our dives and quite a few times he ended up pretty far from us. Two of these times we actually saw shootable fish but they were too deep for our diving skills (they were 40 - 50 ft deep) so it would have been great if he was nearby to shoot them for us!

3. This one is most important. It seems they probably do the same tour for most individuals, no matter the diving level. You start off in 20ft of water and then make your way to 40ft and 60ft of water. It took most of the day for us (me as the others couldn't even get this deep) to be able to get down to 20 ft. That being said, there was no way any of us could shoot a fish in 40 or 60 ft of water. It would have been more fun for us (and we actually suggested this a couple of times on the boat) for us to stay in shallower water (20 ft or even less). We understood that there might have been less fish at this depth but at least that depth would have us at a level where we could attempt to shoot something if we did see anything. That being said, I would ask them to tailor the tours to match your skill set rather than having a set platform for every customer.

I also sent this feedback to Leo so hopefully he considers it but if you haven't snorkel/dived before, I would recommend before you book to stay in the shallows.

Visited May 2012
LeoSpearfishing, Owner at Spearfishing Today Cozumel, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
Thank you for contacting me personally. I responded immediately and explained you all. You wished me luck and and said you would come back next time. Apparently some time later you decided to post the same things here. We accept your ranking. Though feel the need to at least share our explanation with the readers as we shared it with you personally as well.

A couple of times a year it happens. We come back hungry... No fresh fish. Even though the hunting itself is a very nice activity, it always feels better to come back with fish. But we can not guarantee it. Sometimes there is simply no fish to be found. Other times we see fish but we can't get them... We are pretty fish secure I have to say, though on your day, off mother nature decided differently.

We need to make sure we tell you all before you go in the water. i do agree it is a lot of information, but leaving parts out before we get in the water is not an option. Rodrigo and I always watch our guests and will make comments how to improve during the water. We let you get comfortable first and give you advice on the job if there are things to be improved. Besides that... we are pretty easy going people, so you can also ask us things..

I discussed with Rodrigo your trip. We always say in our briefing that our guests should stay within 30ft range from us. Basically it is the only way to kind of guarantee when there is a fish a guest can get it. When everybody goes in all directions it will be super hard for Rodrigo. He told me he mentioned multiple times (!) to you to get closer to him. I fully understand that when spearfishing is new to you that is hard to follow the guide, to look around for fishes, etc. Rodrigo and I are in the water a lot and this is one of the hardest parts of what we do. It is true the closer you stay with us, the bigger chance you got to shoot some fish.

I understand your view about the depths but in this case as explained to you you were a bit unlucky. We do start in 20ft of water to get you comfortable. The 40 and 60ft reefs are "as easy". Let me explain. Even though Rodrigo goes down all the way, we ab so lu the ly don't expect you to do the same on your first spearfishing trip. We just take you to those reefs for the biggest chance to get fish. Mackerel, Barracuda, triggerfish,etc. We find them a lot in those reefs cruising at 20/25ft.... So even though you are snorkeling in 40 or 60 ft of water you are able to get good fish by only diving at 15ft. Earlier this week I was in that area and a guest shot a barracuda without diving (that is the other opposite, I have to admit). I understand your thoughts, but you were unlucky there was no fish.

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“10 stars local spear fishing operation”
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I went out with Leo twice in Playa del Carmen and this week I tried spear fishing in Cozumel with Rodrigo. He picked me up by boat downtown Cozumel. Easy and right on time. Rodrigo gave a good briefing and we hit 4 different spots. Some easier ones and some "real stuff".... Had a great time, shot a Snapper and I am getting really addicted to this. We cooked up the Snapper in a local restaurant Morena and how funny... Rodrigo came there as well to cook up his own fish. This is a true local operation. Passion for what they do. Leo and Rodrigo: thank you both for great adventures!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Must try in Cozumel”
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Was in Cozumel last week with my girlfriend and another couple and decided we where going to try spearfishing. Based on the other trip advisor reviews we had pretty high expectations and they where definitely met. After departing our ship we took a cab to the docks and met up with Rodrigo. On the way out to the first spot he went though all the safety precautions and how to use the equipment. Once out there we started out in about 25 ft water and moved up to 50+ ft. This being our first time it is pretty intimidating trying to free dive in these depths, but Rodrigo is very patient and is awesome at teaching the best free diving techniques.

At the first site we did more snorkeling and practice diving than spearfishing. There where some incredible coral formations and lots of reef fish. We then moved on to the second spot which was about 50ft in depth. There where a lot of larger fish at this location. The water was so clear it seemed you could see for ever. As i was drifting a school of barracuda moved underneath me and Rodrigo gave me the go ahead to go for it. I swam down about 20 feet and followed one until i was about 5 feet away when i fired and hit. It was exhilarating! In the end we caught two barracuda and one trigger fish as a group and Rodrigo dropped us at a local restaurant that cleaned the fish and cooked them for us for $5/person!! It was amazing!

In addition we where able to snorkel 2 awesome shipwreck sites as well. I would recommend this excursion to anyone with no hesitation no matter what kind of dive/snorkel experience you have.

1 Thank Gabe_479
Singapore, Singapore
“An amazing experience!”
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Although this is my first review, I have gone out with SpearfishingToday numerous times - lately on all my visits to Cozumel! I am a big fan...I was hooked from the first time. Any other watersports or ways to fish now seem like a waste of a good day that could be spent hunting my dinner with a speargun. The guides, Rodrigo and Leo, know the waters like the back of their hand and are experts at finding delicious targets for me to shoot (and sometimes miss). You can’t beat the rush you get from getting close to a fish, aligning your shot, pulling the trigger, and fighting your catch to the surface. Of course the experience is not over when you get back to shore with your catch. As you can imagine, snorkeling and diving after fish all mornings builds an appetite (although fresh fruit and refreshments are provided), and the next thing waiting for you is a lunch of fresh fish you pulled right out of the sea. Luckily there is often enough for dinner as well! Even if you are on the Island for just one day - this is a must thing to do!

Visited April 2012
3 attraction reviews
“These guys are the best!”
Reviewed 3 May 2012 via mobile

This was my third trip spearfishing with Leo's outfit and was a blast as usual! I love to scuba dive but spearing is definitely taking over future trips.

This was my first time spearing with Rodrigo and while I was a bit nervous about a new guide I found him every bit as patient and nice as Leo. We had a couple of really good days of fishing and plenty of oppurtunities! When my shots were a little off Rodrigo was always around to help reload the gun and get me back on the hunt quickly! Our third day, Leo joined the group and after shooting a couple triggerfish Rodrigo stayed on board and made some awesome ceviche while we continued the hunt.

Spearfishing is always the highlight of our trips for me because it is obvious these guys LOVE what they do and are eager to share they're experience! If your looking for something other than the usual excursion this is it!!!