“Great reefs!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mayan Aqua Dive - CLOSED

Mayan Aqua Dive
More attraction details
Owner description: Mayan Aqua Dive offers top service for Cancun dives, Dive in Cancun, Certified divers, Beginners divers, Dive sites Cancun, Diving in Cancun, wreck dive, caverns dive, cozumel dive, whale sharks and full padi courses. Check us out, small and personal only!
Battle Creek, Michigan
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great reefs!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Ulysses and team were great. Great dive sites and excellent professionalism. We had a couple of divers that did not fair so well on the boat ride, Ulysses worked with them and did what he could to make it enjoyable for them.

Clayton, New York
“Mayan Aqua Divers-Great Dive Company in Cancun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

I chose Mayan Aqua Divers to do my first Carribean Ocean salt water dive. I am a newly certified diver-certified in Northern New York cold fresh water. I was anxious to dive in aqua salt water, from a boat. Both Karla and Ulises were wonderful. Karla put together a group of divers with similar experience and both morning dives were at the reef off of Isla Mujeres in about 35-40 feet of water. Ulises gave us a quick refresher course on our 30 minute boat ride there and eased us one by one into the water and down to depth. Once down, and all equlized, we saw the underwater museum, coral reefs, fish, and even a sleeping nurse shark. The dive boat was great. The entire staff was very helpful. If you want a small group dive at any level I highly recommend the Mayan Aqua Divers.

Visited March 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Very trustworthy group”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I enjoyed a very nice couple of dives with Mayan Aqua Dive. I found them on TripAdvisor and really liked the fact that they were so trusted by the community. Karla (who responds to most emailed requests for info within an hour or two from her Blackberry) was helpful and informative. There can be special rates available if you pay cash (which also saves you money on the international credit card fees!) so be sure to ask Karla if that might be a possibility.

They have a little kiosk at one of the family-friendly resorts in the Cancun hotel zone. If you are staying at another hotel, they will have a taxi pick you up (free) to deliver you to the hotel. They have decent clean gear. Take the wetsuits they offer unless you really dive hot (temperature, not skill). Despite the water temp being in the 80s, I was a little chilly in a spring suit in February and was feeling sorry for the couple who opted to dive in their swimsuits, they looked extremely cold.

Karla, "Easy" (the boat captain - I think his full name is Ignacio), and our divemaster were very knowledgeable and friendly and very careful divers, taking safety stops and ensuring the group all felt comfortable at all times. I'm taking off one star for two things: first, I was uncomfortable with how much the animals and coral were getting handled by the employees. Second, when I first inquired I asked if there were any dives with no or low current, and was told that wasn't a problem, that they could find a low current area. I found myself in the highest current dives of my life. Our divemaster actually had to swim after to people and he had them hold onto his gear while he pulled himself hand over hand over the coral to get the group back together. I understand now that Cancun dives are higher current than some areas, and I would have dived regardless, but I wish that had been clear to me when I asked.

If I go back to Cancun, I will definitely come back and dive with Karla and the great folks at Mayan Aqua Dive!

Visited February 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“really enjoyed the dives and great instructor, karl”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

got my level 1 certification for scuba. karl great instructor, had a great time, staff very nice and accomodating.

Visited January 2012
Grahamsville, New York
“Really great personal group.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

I have been diving in Cancun for 15 years. The last three years were with Mayan Aqua Dive. I made six dives with them on my vacation this year and the dives were great. We went to a different location every time. Ulises and Maurice were terriffic. We even got Carl to go with us once. The Taurus is a great boat and a nice size for entry and exiting the water. (Wow, and those other tiny boats a few of the other dive operators have are way too small.) Nice diving and I can't wait to go with them again next year.

Visited January 2012