“Me and my boyfriend both 22 stayed at the...”
Review of Family Resort

Family Resort
Ranked #71 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Me and my boyfriend both 22 stayed at the great parnassus from 22nd aug to 6th September. The hotel is huge people are always cleaning! We tried all the restaurants in the evening and we loved the Chinese & Italian. big ben was also nice we didn't like manhattan. At breakfast there was loads of choice & all was delicious. At lunch there was loads off different food at the roundabout ranging from Italian to sushi to Chinese. I enjoyed the vegetarian section. The crepie was nice to I loved the waffles. Entertainment team are always working and there always happy! Pool is clean except one day when somebody was sick in it from the previous night! Took all morning & half the afternoon to clean it! Beach is lovely, the sea is like a bath! We were also lucky enough to see a wedding one day and it was beautiful. One negative that really annoyed me. We were on the 9th floor of the hotel and there was 3 lifts not working and closed off, our room was the other side of the hotel to what the lift was. This was extremely annoying when our key decided not to work ( almost everyday) we then had to go all the way back down to the ground floor to get this re set, very annoying. I would advice people to defiantly go on the bar crawl with Thomas cook we had a brilliant time! We will defiantly be returning to Mexico in the future but going to an adult only hotel :) tequila vollyball adults only I think not! The kids just had to get involved which I dud not think was fair as they had all there games before.

• Stayed: August 2010
2  Thank xoxnicolaxox
Write a ReviewReviews (5,376)

Reviewed 14 September 2010

I'm not so sure if you should believe all these negative reviews. I had read the reviews about this hotel, and to my surprise, we had a fabulous time! EVERYONE was extremely friendly, helpful and nice. Our housekeeper was amazing as well. We had plenty of towels, excellent ladies at the check-in counter. The shower curtain was very clean as well as the entire room itself and we had more than enough towels to use. The food is okay.......but we had no problems with getting lots of drinks and the waiters would send us over extra drinks/shots for us. They did pressure us a bit into trying to buy timeshares, but if you just tell them you're not interested, they do leave you alone. Be careful for the people in the airports......they tell you..."did you check in from here yet?" don't buy into that because they are also trying to sell you time shares. Other than that, we would definitely come here again! Oh, and the pools are not filled with bird poop......everything was clean! Maybe its a good idea to go during their off peak season......we received great service!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank xxgala1009xx
Reviewed 13 September 2010

We had a wonderful time. The reason it was so good is because we had nacho yama as our personal assitant. he helped us book trips, and told us how much to tip and etc. They make u go through a tour and want u to buy a time share but heck you get 100 american dollars to spend at the resort, t-shirts for the whole family, and a beach bag. As long as you deal with Nacho Yama your vacation will be perfect

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank unamateo
Reviewed 11 September 2010

SKIP TO LAST PORTION FOR BIGGEST UPSET

Upon Arrival:

We arrived at the Resort with ease and excitement. Our first experience at the resort was a man wearing a Great Parnassus shirt and a big smile. "My name is Alejandro," he said. He pulled us over to a table and began explaining the layout of the resort, what restaurants were available, which shows we could see, etc. In the end, he tried persuading us to buy a time-share, and we hadn't even checked-in yet. When we said we weren't interested, he pressured even harder offering shirts and a camera if we participated. When we stressed that we weren't interested, he left the table in a cold manner. Although our initial run-in with Alejandro wasn't pleasant, he remained one of the nicest people we saw around those parts day-by-day.

Getting Settled:

Our room wasn't ready for several hours. Not being used to the Mexico climate my family had to sit uncomfortably in the very hot lobby. Normally this wouldn't bother us (we've been in similar places), but we were traveling with a 5 month old child. Finally, after a few hours, our room was ready and we were looking forward to settling in. We had asked that a baby-crib be ready in the room, and were told that one would be.

When we made our way up to the room we found no baby crib. One never showed up in this room. And contrary to our expecatations of having a king-size bed, we had two doubles. We made our way down to ask that our room be switched to a king-size, as we expected. We also asked that the next room have a baby-crib, as we initially asked.

When we finally got our next room we dropped our bags, and went straight for the balcony doors to get a view of the beach. Although our room wasn't facing the beach directly, we still have a pleasant view. Unfortunately, although our room was non-smoking we had smokers on the balcony above and the balcony below ours. The strong breeze blew smoke into our room where my child was, creating a sickening odor. We also had no baby-crib. We had to call and ask yet another time for one.

When they finally brought a crib up, we were shocked at how dirty it was. It looked as though it had never been cleaned. We were not comfortable letting our baby sleep in it - we ended up putting him in a bed with his mother and surrounding it with pillows for his protection.

The staff was generous and offered to change our room for us. we were in room 229, but they offered us room 539 if we wanted it. We went up to look at it, and it was filthy (no problem, they warned us it wasn't clean). It was the same setup as room 229 (for the most part) but lacked a mirror and table - just an emptiness where they belonged.

We confirmed with the front desk that we would like 539, so they said it would be cleaned immediately. My family went to explore the resort and came back about an hour later to 539 - it was still filthy, nobody had touched it. I placed a call from 539 down to housekeeping and asked that the room be cleaned. An hour later, still filthy and untouched.

You may want to fix that...

When we finally got into 539 we once again let down our bags, and looked forward to 4 days of relaxation - boy were we naive. My mother-in-law stepped out onto the balcony to enjoy the breeze and view. When she came back in and began to close the right glass door, and unbearable screeching filled out room. We later discovered that you had to push on the door in a specific way while closing to prevent the horrible screeching noise.

This wasn't the only problem that we discovered after moving into the room. The shower head was missing a piece, which caused it to spray the water out in a forceful mist rather than a standard shower experience. We didn't bother messing with it, we didn't feel like moving our stuff once again to another room.

Internet in every room?

While in room 229 I purchased $60 worth of internet. This translates into about 4 or 5 days of service from your room. This was one of the selling points for the resort - internet in every room, they advertise. I still had work to do in the evenings, so I needed internet.

On the evening we transferred to room 539, my mother-in-law attempted to get online. Unsuccessful. When I tried to connect, we were again unsuccessful. Trying on our iPad was also unsuccessful. I went down to speak with management and invited one of them up to see for themselves - they did, and confirmed that we had no internet. He said he would take care of it and call the IT people to see about why it's not reaching our room. That night I worked from the lobby instead of our room. Again, the lobby can be very hot - especially at night when there's little-to-no breeze.

We never got service in our room. I had to constantly make trips down 5 floors to bars or the lobby to do my work. By the third day of our trip I was very annoyed by this. Management did nothing. On the fourth day we went down to speak with them again. Today it was Angel who we spoke with. He told us that there's nothing he can do, the resort depends on another company for service. I told him he could refund my money, since I was out $60 because of the Resort's advertisement of internet in every room. He refused to refund it and instead told me to chase the company that provides internet to the building. I stressed over and over that Great Parnassus made us the promise of internet in every room - and because of that we paid for 4 or 5 days - he said he would make some phone calls and we should come back in 10 minutes.

We made several trips back to speak with Angel, and on each trip he would tell us "Not yet, come back in 10 or 15 minutes." Sometimes it would be "15 or 30 minutes." We spent a total of about 4.5 hours waiting on Angel to work out a refund for us. Because we had to wait, we were prevented from enjoying the beach, pools and restaurants. After several hours, he said there's nothing he can do and that we weren't getting a refund. We requested to speak to his superior, and that's when everything got even worse.

Miguel was wearing his pink management shirt, and strolled over from a group employees engaged in water-cooler chat. We told him the problem - that we spent $60 on internet because of Great Parnassus' promise of "internet in every room." He showed no interest - "That's not our problem." He told us to go after the company that provides internet to their building and try to get our money back. I stressed over and over that the money was spent because of Parnassus' promise, and Parnassus is responsible for it. He arrogantly dismissed our points. My wife then pointed out that we had missed 4.5 hours of vacation dealing with this issue, and constantly waiting on management. Miguel responded, "Again, that's not my problem." We spent several thousands of dollars to take this vacation, and the management showed absolutely no interest in us or our experience. When we pointed out how displeased with the experience we were after spending several thousands of dollars, Miguel apathetically responded "I don't care. That's not my problem."

Do not stay at Great Parnassus.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank mayrars
Reviewed 8 September 2010

myself ,my 13 year old son and my sister-in-law went to this hotel and had the most amazing holiday ever . I could not find no faults with anything concerning this hotel .The staff were all great , polite and friendly , the entertainment team never had a smile off their faces and made us all so welcome , our favourite bar was the karaoke bar with manual and sonia both so hard working and welcoming .I never ever go back to the same hotel but i will defenately return here within the next 2 years . There is always plenty of food to choose from , the rooms so clean and big .DONT listen to the bad reviews as it was so fantastic .

• Stayed: August 2010