Sotavento Hotel & Yacht Club
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Oasis Palm(Cancun)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscontinental breakfastconvenience store next doorgreat hotel for the pricezona hoteleraisla mujeressmall pooldowntown cancunwi fimexican foodcereallagoonmattressespesosnightlifepalapaclubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

We ended up staying here as there was no availability elsewhere for the budget. Location is great. Walking distance to the ferry that will take you to Isla Mujeres. This stop also has ground transportation if you're thinking about going to Cozumel. There are convenience stores and a big mexican restaurant within walking distance. The room was quaint. AC worked very well. TV channel reception was OK. I like to watch the news on the local channels but the volume was almost inaudible. The vegetation is pretty. The cleaning staff are super friendly and efficient. The pool could use more TLC. Water is foggy. I can't think what the solution could be against mosquitos, except wear repellent. If you're thinking of winding down by the pool at the end of the day, the mosquitos will. Have a feast on you. The staff by the reception could also be friendlier. In general, this is a clean place to stay.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Carina A
Reviewed 23 July 2017

My daughter and I just recently spent 10 days in Mexico. We were actually staying on Isla Mujeres but wanted to do a tour of Tulum and see Cancun so spent a few days in the middle of our trip at the Hotel Sotavento while also keeping our room on the island. It ended up to be the perfect spot for what we wanted.
The Pros:
• The price was extremely cheap and it was a good place to just crash and hold a few of our things while we went off for our tour.
• It is on a side street right across the street a from the closest ferry dock to downtown Cancun that is located in the hotel zone so we were able to get there easily from the island.
• There is a small convenience shop right next door and a Starbucks a couple blocks down the road.
• The busses stop right on the main drag up the street from the hotel.
• Check in was easy and the guys at the front desk were very laid back, friendly and fun.
• Our room was surprisingly beautiful with the biggest bathroom I have ever had in a hotel before. Not the most luxurious but huge with lots of counter space and shelves. Great for females and all the junk we have to bring.
• It was very, very clean. In fact when we arrived it had just been recently cleaned and you could still smell the bleach that was used in the bathroom and on the floors.
• We had a cool patio that was surrounded by beautiful vegetation that kept it private from the other rooms
The Cons:
• There are no room amenities such as a blow dryer or iron but you can bring your own. Little steamers are cheap and easy to pack and work great.
• No mini fridge but you can find Styrofoam coolers and get ice from the pool bar.
• They use keys at the hotel, not cards. They give you one key for your room and one for your air conditioner. They are both connected which forces you to turn off your air when you leave the room and keeps costs down for the hotel. Our room stayed pretty cool naturally and it wasn’t a big deal to cool down whenever we would return.
• They do have safes in the rooms but you need to get a lock for it from the front office. I think there is a charge. We didn’t need it.
• They have a fun little pool but if you want a beach there is a short walk to get to a nice one.
• If you need your morning coffee you will have to pay for their continental breakfast or walk to Starbucks. There is no coffee maker in the room.
All in all, I have to say that I was very pleased. It suited our needs perfectly. I could see this being a good place for people on a tight budget who want to visit Cancun and who don’t need to be pampered. It is great for Twenty year olds who are broke and want to get away or for people who just need a place to crash for a night or two.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2017

The best part about the Sotavento is the price as it is very reasonable for a hotel in the Zone for Cancun. The rooms were good sized and the beds were comfortable. We really enjoyed the pool as we were only there for a day and just lounged about the pool and relaxed. The staff were very friendly and accommodating and were quick to help us with any questions that we had. Internet is only available in the lobby but it is free. The restaurant is decent and the prices are reasonable. The hotel is in the hotel zone but it is closer to the edge so if you are looking for the markets or nightlife, you will need to take a taxi. All in all it is a pretty good hotel but it is not a resort and does not have the features of one.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2017

This hotel is off the beaten path, and you cannot beat the price. There was a bit of mold in my room, no internet in the rooms, but the window AC worked well. Okay for a night or two, I wouldn't enjoy it much longer than that.

Stayed: June 2017
Reviewed 7 July 2017 via mobile

Nice hotel. Nothing fancy. Good a/c. TV with 2 American channels. Hard beds. The people are very nice. Breakfast is just ok but the price is right, free. I would just stay away from booking any tours with the people in the lobby. I did and when I got to my destination they never booked it and I received no satisfaction from them after that so just a warning to stay away from that from an actual person that went though the fiasco. I just went on Trip Advisor after that.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo