“Awsome place”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Foster City, California
“Awsome place”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have been here 4 times now and this is a great place to go to. Great food, Excellent service and friendly staff. It's a huge resort away from all the other hotel and resorts and it's close to airport and they own bunch more that you can visit all of them and they will shuttle you at no charge. they have so many daily getaways and sightseeing at no extra cost. not crazy about the beach here though. they also have evening shows that are fun. it's a family and kids friendly place. if you are a couple you might not enjoy it.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jack y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6,016)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reading
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My husband and I have not long returned from our 5th visit to the Moon Palace and the break was all it professed to be and then some. We first visited to the Moon Palace in 2001 and fell in love with the resort and more importantly the staff there who really want to make your holiday break the best they can for you. When we decided to return a 2nd time we were hesitant in the thoughts that maybe the first visit was a one off and our memories of it would not be met again but we were pleasantly surprised to find it was even better.

Our 3rd and 4th visits quickly followed where not only did we find the same level of excellence but the long term staff remembered us and greeted us like long lost friends. We always stay in the Nizuc section of the resort, but with the shuttle buses in place you can easily get round the other parts (Sunrise, Grand and Golf club) and with a daily bus into the local town or to the sister hotels it’s like having 3 holidays in one. (You can use all facilities at the sister hotels included in your stay)
The food is of a high quality with fresh cooked steaks, fish etc.. The eggs/omelettes for breakfast are wonderful. Depending on what you are looking for this resort pretty much has it all.

Sunrise is more of a family section with children’s pools and a nightclub on site. The Nizuc is a smaller quieter side, ideal if you don’t have young children/ don’t want to be around too many of them this is perfect, then the Grand is more of an exclusive section – it’s more expense, mostly adults, very idyllic but not as much choice of food venues and it is a bit of a walk to the other parts. There are golf buggies that run you around and the Grand visitors tend to get preference in the drop off and pick up routes. Our first few trips were just 7 nights but we enjoyed them so much we now visit for 14 nights minimum. Unlike some all inclusives we have visited, the Moon Palace truly is all inclusive as far as food and drinks are concerned – EVERYTHING is included. You can arrive and quite easily stay for the whole 2 weeks and not spend a single penny. The pool bars/restaurants are open all day, Snacks are regularly brought out to the reception bars and if you really want it there is 24hr room service provided as well as a bar in your room stocked daily. (and it’s not just local brands)

This 5th visit has surpassed the previous ones as this time I went with an injured wrist and to my elbow in plaster. The staff could not do enough to help me. They made sure I had drinks, meals and general assistance every single day even including carrying my beach bag for me, and offering to go to the restaurant to get me lunch when I didn’t fancy the food in the local bar. They were absolutely fantastic in their support.

We were also awarded $2500 resort credits. I have to admit I was a bit reluctant to take these at first thinking it was bound to be a time share ploy but it was not at all. We had $2500 to spend on the report – no catch or terms applied you can even buy tequila to take home. The only thing you need to be aware of is that if you use them to buy anything to take away you have to pay the local tax of 11% but check with the hotel and they will give you all the details. Best thing to use them on is wine upgrades, golf rounds or spa treatments (Max $500) with spa treatments starting at around the $120 mark you can fit in a few treatments from your allowance. I had 3 while I was there and heartily recommend the chocolate wrap. I had one as my last treatment and wish I had fitted in more!!

I don’t usually call out names of staff but there were a few team members who I think truly went above and beyond on this trip.
Macedonio Sulub & Pablo Felix from Manglar restaurant Nizuc – a warm welcome every morning for breakfast set us up for the day, after just a few mornings, Macedonio knew what drinks we wanted and had them ready for our arrival.

Jasiuto Tuz from the Alberca pool bar Nizuc – helpful and very attentive taking time to come to our sunbed and talk to us about local culture, plus always making sure we had a drink on hand.

Andres Garcia – Bell Boy, greeted us on arrival and did not forget us the whole time we stayed. Calling us by name whenever we saw him on or around the resort, helping us to identify the local wildlife and making sure we had a lift to get to other parts of the resort whenever we needed it.

And finally Ana the manager for Nizuc pool area – Ana was pleasant, always smiling and sharing a joke with us while making sure the service we received was of a high level. Taking time out to check I was OK and asking if there was anything she could do to help with my wrist – even providing a “cuddle” when it was hurting.

If you want a holiday where you are truly looked after and treated like family, you couldn’t go to a better place – if you do visit take time to have a chat with the staff, say Hi from me and tell them I’ll be back soon.

Room Tip: If on the Nizuc side ask for rooms in the Bamboo, Alcatraz as they are close to the beach and pools...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Limarasian
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Very nice hotel. Big but manageable once you get the lay of the land. Rooms all face the ocean. Sand beautiful but you can't swim because the water is filled with seaweed. All the pools are really nice, lots of chaise lounges, towels and umbrellas. Service at the pool good, lots of bars & and food readily available and not far. Almost all of the workers have a smile on their face. ( I did find 1 grumpy one!) food good,root great & fresh, but hard if you are from NY where most food is so much better. Rooms decent size(unless you are in a presidential suite, then they are huge). All have jacuzzi and little balcony. Nice bathroom/ shower area. Place was clean, some days too long to get made up, but you are in vacation, whose in a hurry? The sales presentation can be brutal, they don't like to take no for an answer, but they do give you some $ to use... SPA was GREAT! Being that it is not too far from the airport, it makes the travel days not too bad. Would go again!

Room Tip: All the rooms are angled out to face the ocean. If you get one closer to the water, you are further...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Futbolmommy
Norwalk, CT
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We had originally booked into the Beach Palace, but after 1 night of constant traffic noise and no housekeeping whatsoever, we switched over to Moon.

I stayed here with my husband, 4 month old baby, and in-laws, and there was something here for all of us. Moon Palace is beautiful, and the staff are amazing. I was sat by the pool one day with the baby, and Leslie (one of the waitresses by the pool) took the time to come over and tell me in broken English that it was going to rain very hard, and that I should get the baby out of there quickly. Sure enough, a few minutes later it poured!!! I was very touched that she took the time to find me, after serving me earlier in the day.

Every staff member that we dealt with was fabulous, they are so friendly and patient, and all made such a fuss of us. The food was excellent, I am a vegetarian and there was always something for me to eat. I saw earlier reviews where people complained, but I had no problems at all, and I do not eat meat or fish. We ate in all the restaurants in Sunrise, and at a few in Nizuc.

Housekeeping was great, they even arranged the toys in the baby's crib everyday!!!

The beach has a lot of seaweed, but they work to clean it everyday, The water was calm though, so it was extremely child friendly, it is also very shallow. The pool is huge, it seems to span the entire resort!!

I was not too excited to move to Moon as I am a big beach person and the beach at Beach Palace is hard to beat, but I can honestly say, that Moon is now at the top of my list of favorite vacation spots and I can't wait to return :)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank britbabi2400
Oregon
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Everything was great, the food the people, etc. The only thing was the shuttle times, we like to go to the malls, and shop and that was out if the way so we kinda had to rush to make the shuttle times. But if your the type to just stay at your hotel your entire vacation then this is the place to be, you wont get bored Moon Palace offers everything! You also recieve credits for the store, spa, or activites outside the hotel. Our room was clean everyday and we had fridge and mini bar filled everyday.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are all the same, theres a hot tub in all. So, unless you want a big room like a s...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
8.8 km away
28.9 km away
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Moon Palace Cancun? Share your experiences!