3,557 results
All reviews marco polo bogavante restaurant las fuentes sister resort next door time share ocean view lobby bar nightly shows entertainment staff bottled water all inclusive resort a lot of fun hot dogs timeshare presentation kids club nachos pool side
Reviewed 6 March 2009

I stayed at the royal solaris with 4 of my girlfriends. We had a great time! The hotel isn't fancy shmancy but it is nice, clean, and fun. The staff is very friendly and helpful.
There is a pool bar and a nice clean pool to hang out during the day and lay out. Buffets weren't very good but the restaurants were much better. The Marco Polo restaurant was probably the best. There are pleanty of snacks during the day at the pool.. hotdogs, hamburgers, onion rings, chips, salsa, guac.. etc. The drinks were delicious! Before going out at night we would hang out and drink in the lobby. Beach is nice, a littly rocky, but didn't interfere with swimming. There is a bar on the beach also. The bus comes by right outside the hotel to take you to the night clubs. The only thing is that this hotel is a little further down the strip than some of the other hotels. Prob a 15-20 min bus ride. Overall, we really liked this hotel. We had a great time. If you are easy going and just want to relax and have a good time this is a great hotel. If you are picky and find problems with everything, this is not a 5 star hotel so don't expect it to be.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank beachyNj
Reviewed 5 March 2009

WE just got back March 1st 2009. This Hotel is rated a 5 and I would give it a 31/2 at best.
I have been to Mexico 20 times and all at different resorts,so I know what I am talking about. There is no way anyone with leg problems could stay at this resort. there are steps everywhere except the pool. There aren't any to get in and out of the water. they have chairs and tables built in the pool made of hard cement that people use to get in and out of the pool..
Service : the service at this resort was very good except the bar tenders at the pool bar. If you did not have money for tip in hand they did not even look at you.
Beds: were not bad,actually had a pillow top matress.
Food: Excellent no complaints
Rooms: average, no fridge in standard room,bottled water,alcohol,ect.
the resturaunt outside by the pool at night was great and fun
New Law in Cancun : no smoking in enclosed buildings as of Jan.2009

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cancungirl2
Reviewed 1 March 2009

I booked my all-inclusive trip through a local travel agent with Apple Vacations. I've been to RS many times before and this trip was the first time by myself (husband couldn't get off work and I really needed a get-a-way!). My 5 day trip was totally an unwinding event. The room was fabulous, check-in was great though did pay more for an oceanside room upon arrival. I stayed in the Caribe Tower (the quieter of the two - the other one is the Royal Tower). The food was fabulous and the drinks were great. There was NOTHING about this trip that was unpleasant or even average. I felt entirely safe and comfortable the entire time even by myself. Outstanding.

• Stayed: February 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank CancuNut
Reviewed 27 February 2009

Why does it have to be such an ordeal to get into Mexico? We arrived on a Monday, there were 3 agents working the custom booths, hundreds of people waiting to get through. We arrived in Cancun just about 12:30pm, but didn't actually get to our rooms until nearly 3pm. Be prepared for this 1st day of your vacation, it really isn't. This hotel was excellent, close to the airport so it didn't take very long to get there. Here's what you need to know. The beach is beautiful & very clean, there is a lifeguard on duty until dusk. The many pools are very clean & nicely designed with zero depths, steps, etc. You have to get up early & claim your pool chairs & your beach chairs at least before 7am, make sure you get both areas with an umbrella, you will definately need it. Most of the good spots were gone by 6:45am! Everyone respects your spot. There are activities & games all day long at the main pool. The snack food is very good, guacamole is plentiful & delicious. You can totally eat ALL DAY! The drinks were good, but we thought that the beer (Dos Equis) on tap was very fine. We tried the "formal restaurant" Veneto, but were a little disappointed with mediocre food & really bad service. We ate the rest of the time at the buffet restaurants & were very happy. 2 of us are vegetarian & did not have any problem finding something good to eat. It's pretty casual as far as dress, even the formal restaurants. We were disappointed that there really isn't anything open outside at the pool area in the evening. The evenings are so beautiful & it would have been so nice to just sit outdoors after dinner & drink some more, listen to the ocean, etc. All of the staff is very very friendly, helpful, attentive. The rooms are just average. Beds are on the hard side, but generally very clean. Nice generous size towels. This was a great choice & reading the reviews here of the other area hotels helped us pick this resort. We traveled with my 82yr old mom & she had a little trouble navigating all the stairs down to the pool area - many levels of stairs, but she loved this place too. We plan to go back again next year.

Here is my advice, which we heeded from another traveler's review. TIP THE HELP! We could not believe how many people demanded poolside drinks, constantly w/o giving a dime to those waiters. Tip at meals too, the waiters were attentive in the restaurants, constantly refill your water w/o having to ask, whisking your dirty plate away so you could go back for more. And the waiters were so nice & friendly. We too, took a lot of singles & used them every time. Our service only got better & better. Also, if the Mexican people came to the USA & behaved the way many Americans behaved there they would be instantly arrested. Come on, please be sure not to leave your dignity at home.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank bunkysparky
Reviewed 25 February 2009

Wow, we had a great time here!!
Our group of 4 girlfriends stayed 6 days, 5 nights here and really enjoyed ourselves.

The Restaurants
If you like to eat a lot and a variety this is the place. Five restaurants, three of which are buffets, and two fine dining with Italian and French. Had sumptuous meals. Also they have two snack bars open all day with really good hamburgers and hot dog type foods. I can't see anyone saying they didn't like this unless thay are a food snob. We never ate anywhere but the hotel and didn't get bored. I can see wanting to dine out some if you were staying a couple weeks.

The Service
In short you'll find yourself feeling like royalty. The staff is well trained to jump and run to get you whatever you want at any moment. It's almost embarrassing at times. I never had anyone be rude or fail to get me what I asked for in less than record time. Make sure you take a lot of one dollar bills with you for tips. Although it's not required, you will find you want to tip these hard working people, and coming by change in anything but pesos is difficult.

The Accomodations
They do thier best to look like a 5 star American hotel but if you look close Mexico building standards creep in here or there. It didn't matter to us. The rooms were very clean. The beds are very firm, and that was my only complaint. Lots of TV channels if you want to watch them. Lots of hot water and cold air-conditioning. I wouldn't call the room 5 star, but we didn't hang out there much anyways, and we didn't book the better quality suites.

Beach and Pools
Loved it, loved it, loved it. I recommend taking your own towel as later in the day the hotels towels are in short supply, and if you want to take a dip in the spa at night you'll probably need one. They run out of lounge chairs on the beach early in the day, however I noticed a quick turn over of occupants as the sun is so extreme you can't hang out for too long. Make sure you start out with 48 SPF sunblock if you are not a seasoned sun person. I saw many boiled lobsters that I knew had ruined thier vacations on the first day. They have two seperate adult size pool areas. One is very quiet at the Caribe tower. One is hopping with noise and activity. The kids pool looked like fun, and you can leave your little ones there as they seem to be well supervised in a gated area and entertained with crafts, video games and thier own pool area. I didn't bring my 11 year old daughter, but I knew she would have loved it for a short while.

Shopping and Sightseeing
This hotel is at the far end of the Cancun hotel strip. We took the bus several times down to the Plazas. It only cost 50 cents, and it's very convenient right out front. The big malls are very nice and air-conditioned. The open air markets have deals to be found, however, be ready for the store owners to get in your face and badger you to buy. If you don't like this, don't go near them. We took the bus downtown to the city of Cancun on Avenida Tulum one afternoon, I got much better prices shopping and didn't have the in your face sales people, but I felt much less secure down there and we didn't stay long because of it. I would not be there after dark.
We took the Pirate dinner cruise, 'Captain Hooks' and absolutely loved it. A ton of fun and decent food, laughed till my face hurt, and they really get everyone involved and dancing. Make sure you dress warm. Older kids will love this. It's goes for 3 hours of riotous song and dance. It was well worth the $88 bucks.

Overall Thoughts
I really feel we made a good choice in hotel for the desire to relax and beach it.
If you really want to party hard with the young crowd, you probably want a different hotel.
If you have any difficulty with lots of stairs you will have it here, even though they have ramps and elevators, this would not be a good hotel for you.
Next time I would like to do more sightseeing so I would probably choose a hotel without the all inclusive meals and drinks, so that I didn't feel as though I was paying for something I wasn't getting. If you want to take the excursions to xCaret and the pyramids and the like, you will be gone all day from your hotel.
All the beds are extra firm, make sure you ask for something else if you can't handle that.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends