“great hotel fab staff i.e karen”

Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #52 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 1 March 2007

went on honeymoon to this hotel had a great time rooms magic staff fantastic.maybe go back 2007 enjoyed so much special thanks to carlos for making trip one to remember.p.s hope he is looking after my sister inlaw now she works with him

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank scoty-bhoy
Write a ReviewReviews (6,858)

Reviewed 1 March 2007

My husband & I stayed at the Golden Parnassus from Feb 3-9th, 2007. Overall, I think we got a good deal for the money. When we vacation, we mainly want a nice beach and some good food & drink. We got all of these here.

I felt there were plenty of options for dining and the quality of the food was good. I wouldn't say it was fabulous, but it wasn't bad at all. I don't need fancy food when on vacation so this was just fine w/ us. We loved the steaks at the Old Barn and the buffet for lunch and breakfast was great. The snack place by the pool has the best steak sandwiches you have ever had!! The 24 hour room service is a huge plus.

Our room was not an ocean view, but the lagoon side is just as nice. The beds were hard, no doubt about it. But after the first night, we adjusted. We were given a room w/ 2 double beds but couldn't get a different room so we pushed them together and slept long ways which was easy enough. I slept much better after that. I didn't have any problems with hotel noise.

The people there do work hard to take care of you. The entertainment staff was alot of fun on those rainy days that we spent in the beer garden playing card games & dice.

I would stay here again. I like the small scale size of it and definately the Adults Only!!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank crazyinidaho
Reviewed 27 February 2007

Me and my girlfriend stayed in the Golden Parnassus in mid-Jan. Let me tell you, i wish we could have stayed longer than just a week!

Let's start with the staff...
Entertainment staff - Karen, Lynsey and Carlos - they kept us laughing for the WHOLE week! the girls r sexy scots lasses - far travelled for work, but seem right at home, which made us feel at home too. Carlos is a crazy mexican - and hilarious! The entertainment staff accompany the guests to the clubs at night, and never before have i felt so safe and looked after! those 3 know how to party and still look great the following morning!

Fonzie at the tiki bar, such a great guy! i've never seen anybody who can do so many things at once, and keep his jokes coming at the same time! also, remembers loads!
Oscar in the buffet restaurant - such a character! never without a smile and some compliments!
Maricella in the Sumo restaurant - taught my girlfriend how to make a rose from a serviette.

the food at the hotel is great, i think i put on 10lbs in the week! and i swear, the glasses at the GP are bottomless! not that that's a bad thing!

you'll love the elvis show and the millennium show - they're hilarious!

the only down side to the hotel is the noise. we didn't find it particularly bad, but we heard a few people mention that they heard people coming in from clubs at night n stuff.

remember and take lots of singles to tip with - i heard the staff only make around $5 a day!!! so rely heavily on tips

other than that, hope u love the golden as much as we did - we're already booked for july and then next jan!!!
CANT WAIT!!!

Stu Harkin & Christine Robertson, Texas

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank OreoCookiePops
Reviewed 26 February 2007

My husband and I left cold New England for 5 days Feb. 17 to the 21 in search of beach and endless tropical drinks. We found it at the Golden Parnassus. Swimming was challenging...the surf was very rough..red flags were up most of our visit and the weather constantly changed from overcast to sunny. Temps ranged from the 70's to low 80's which was typical, we were told, for Feb. We had a deluxe room, facing the lagoon side. I was intially disappointed but soon appreciated the quiet and also glad our room was no where near the lobby end. Regardless of which floor you are on, it is a very noisy hotel...voices, music, doors slamming carry the closer your room is to the lobby. The staff was terrific. The food OK. Drinks improved with tipping. Because we were there such a short time, we did not do any day trips but those who did enjoyed excursions off site...and loved the Congo Bongo and nightlife in Cancun. It is a beautiful hotel, the pool area leading out to the beach was glorious. Anyone who is physically challenged would find the many steps required throughout the hotel and outside terraces hard to manage. The staff was terrific. We used the Spa for facials and massages. They use Pevonia products which I think are one of the best .For those who are going soon....Have a wonderful time! Go, relax and make your own memories!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank parasailor
Reviewed 25 February 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Golden Parnassus resort from February 10th to 17th 2007. We had been following the reviews on TripAdvisor since Christmas, and were a bit apprehensive; at one point we even made inquiries to our tour company as to whether we could switch resorts. We had read about the aging state of the resort, the frequently referred to “party” atmosphere and resort overbooking, the latter due to the state of the sister resort the Great Parnassus. We felt that we could deal with these inconveniences in exchange for staying at a small resort with an ocean view, no kids, good dining choices and no need to line up for al a carte restaurant reservations. We had also read that the service staff was great so we thought we’d keep our plans and give the Golden a try.

Because of the bumping, I thought I’d contact the Golden ahead of our stay to ensure we were getting the 6th floor Club Ocean view room we’d booked and to ensure we had a mattress pad. The troubles began when we arrived at the resort and went to our room and discovered it was a lagoon view room. We marched straight back to the front desk only to be told there were no ocean view rooms available and we’d have to wait until the next day when we could switch rooms. Since it was late (and we had no other option) we opted to check back the following morning. At noon the following day we were finally given the ocean view room that we had booked. After reading the various accounts on TA it almost seems like this overbooking of club rooms is routine and a bit of a scam - we also noticed each time we went to the reception desk, another person was waiting to be moved to a new room. We were happy to be in our new room and the view was spectacular but it did tend to leave us in limbo for the better part of our first day until we could finally settle into our room and unpack.

We have to agree with all previous reports about the state of the resort. Previous posts were not exaggerating when they stated there were numerous cracked floor tiles, peeling ceiling paint and drywall, holes in bedding, loud room air conditioners, etc. We also experienced ants in our room, as others had mentioned. One morning it rained and the water streamed in through our window and patio door. We called housekeeping and they brought towels to mop up but speaking to others at the resort this seemed to happen in most of the rooms.

The good things about this resort are certainly the food and service, with the exception of front desk staff and a couple of the buffet waiters. The staff is very professional, courteous and attentive. It’s true, the bar staff are great and often we couldn’t get away from the Tiki bar because our drinks kept getting refilled before we could finish! We preferred the food in the Shangri-La, Pier 12 and Sumo in that order. The buffet was OK for breakfast but we don’t understand other reviewers’ fascination with the Barn. We found the Barn noisy and my steak was chewy and flavourless while my wife’s beef tenderloin seemed like some sort of mystery meat.

We also quite liked the Spa, it is very clean and relaxing. After having the couple’s massage, both my wife and I remarked in unison that it was the best massage we’d ever had.

The nightly entertainment left much to be desired. Envision – Elvis show, marriage games, and an amateur Mexican dancing performance. Next door at Le Meridien, we watched from our balcony as guests there were treated to an elegant outdoor poolside buffet one evening accompanied by an 8 piece Latin band. At the Golden, the weekly beach party didn’t even happen when we were there!

For us what we thought would be a plus about the Golden turned out to be a negative. We thought the small size would be nice but it’s a double edged sword as the pool area was often congested and noisy. The beach has lots of palapas although they are crammed together and were usually all reserved by early morning. I ended up taking lounge chairs from the pool down to the beach every day, rather than doing an early morning raid to secure a spot. By staying at an adults only resort we thought we’d avoid the noise of kids yelling and jumping in the pool but with the pool-side partiers and small size of this resort there wasn’t much difference between tipsy adults yelling across the pool area from the Tiki bar and a bunch of noisy, rambunctious kids. By the second half of our week we had pretty much had enough of the whole experience.

There are certainly a lot of fans of the Golden Parnassus and its party atmosphere, as witnessed by the positive reviews on this board. Considering my wife and I were looking for a quiet, relaxing vacation by the ocean; we’ll be selecting another resort and destination next time.

Stayed: February 2007