My wife and I and my brother and his wife stayed here for a week in February, 2012. Thinking back on it now, we enjoyed the trip and the Golden P in many ways, but were also put off by some things, too. We are in our sixties, but consider ourselves to be pretty aware of how things operate in a vacation destination that serves the younger crowd. This was our first A-I (all-inclusive) AND all-adult hotel. Because you have paid up front for all your meals and alcoholic drinks, two things become apparent as you stay there: (1) most everyone drinks more than they would at home, and thus wild laughing and loud music are pretty constant throughout the afternoon and evening and late into the night, and (2) everyone likes to eat really good food because they are at a resort, but the food is mostly very average. So if you have done this A-I routine before, or are a forewarned first-timer, you won't be surprised at the party atmosphere and the ordinary food. However, as long-time cruise lovers, we thought the food is definitely a step down from shipboard fare.
But wait! Lots of good, too! The hotel is on a lovely beach and has a couple beautiful pools. The staff are all very friendly (though efficient is another matter--hey, you are in Mexico!). The rooms are nice and cool. There is always something going on, particularly in the evenings, and the staff is always upbeat about getting you to join in the fun-- volleyball in the pool, trivia contests, canned music In the disco, stage shows, dancing, occasional live music in the lobby, movies, etc.
I must add that we did enjoy several meals: the Japanese restaurant was enjoyable for its numerous appetizers plate as well as the main courses with wine. The Barn has cowboy fare-- steaks and more, and was hit and miss on the quality, though the salads and appetizers were very good. Had a great steak one night and a real jaw exerciser another night. Be sure to get in line right when they open, or else you are in for a l-o-n-g wait. The dress up restaurant (I forgot the name, but there is only one) had wonderful food, very nice refined service, and a grand piano playing itself (yes!) delightfully in the background. We did not care for the quality of food at the seafood restaurant (Pier 21?), though its location on the ocean was beautiful. The morning and lunchtime buffet was pretty middling, but they did cook your eggs however you wanted and had freshly made juice smoothies. Also, they offered many meats and shrimp dishes with whatever additives you wanted at lunch. Plenty of choices, but overall just ordinary tastes. The table waiters were outstanding, friendly AND efficient, and we felt good about tipping them at each meal. One other outstanding food item: the best hamburgers, hotdogs, and chicken sandwiches were cooked over an open fire all day and evening at the little hamburger cafe right beside the main pool (it is directly under the buffet dining room). If you crave a delicious burger and fries anytime, do not miss this (5 stars!).
You can catch the city bus into downtown Cancun a couple blocks from the hotel. Only 70 cents! Believe it or not, there is a large Walmart with a McDonalds inside it in old downtown Cancun. You can also take the free hotel shuttle over to their sister resort, the Great Parnassus, and enjoy any of their facilities and restaurants at no charge. What a difference -- it is a family resort, and there were zillions of kids there! Glad we chose the Golden...
So overall, we had a good time. We would probably try a different one if we go again. I rate the Golden Parnassus as a 3.5 star resort. Enjoy your stay!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun, Golden Parnassus Cancun, is an Adults Only All Inclusive Resort Situated on an unspoiled sandbar tucked between Nichupte Lagoon and the Caribbean Sea is one of Cancun's premier adult all-inclusive resorts. A beach resort wholly devoted to the "in the moment" lifestyle, Golden Parnassus Cancun is a destination where exclusive personal service and a sophisticated yet casual spirit offer the backdrop for the ultimate in relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with lastminute.com.au, Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, Hotels.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Hotelopia and getaroom.com so you can book your Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Parnassus Cancun
- Cancun Crown Paradise
- Golden Parnassus Hotel Cancun
- Golden Parnassus Resort Spa Cancun
- Jack Tar Cancun
- Golden Parnassus Resort Cancun