“Awesome Family Vacation”

Crown Paradise Club Cancun
Ranked #49 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We have just come back from 9 days (Feb 11-20) at the Crown Paradise with our four children (10, 8, and twins that are 6). Overall, we had a wonderful holiday.

What really stood out for us was the friendly welcoming staff of this resort. The front desk people were lovely and check in was not a problem. The staff was incredibly helpful and eager to please. For example, when I asked a cleaning person where I could find the gym, he dropped everything to personally show me where I could find it. Israel and Rubi at the buffet restaurant went out of their way to be helpful, as did David who cleaned tables by the sushi restaurant.

The resort had tons of people cleaning and keeping the place well maintained, at all times of the day and night. It is clearly a priority to have a clean resort.

-This is a great family resort. The kids greatly enjoyed the kids club, and the different pools. The infinity pool was beautiful. As a parent, I liked that there was also a covered pool so that I could take my kids out of the mid day sun and still have them enjoy a swim. The kids loved the slides and the beach was amazing. The waves were so much fun to jump in and the water was beautiful. NOTE: the kids can not do the zip line or climbing wall unless they are wearing runners!

-The kids loved the nightly shows which are geared more for children They particularly enjoyed the Lune one which had dogs doing tricks and the Michael Jackson show. The only problem with the latter is that they showed snippets of the Thriller Video which freaked out my little ones a bit.

-I read many reviews about the food not being good at this resort and I don’t think this is a fair statement. The Buffet breakfast was great, offering a lot a variety.....pancakes, sausage, bacon, toast, bagels, omelets, smoothies, mexican egg burritos and a variety of other options. It was the best meal offered at the Buffet. The lunch and dinner buffet options were not as varied and were more “average”. We were always able to find something for the kids (pizza, pasta, burgers and hotdogs, cheese quesadillas as well as veggies and fruits are always available). We had absolutely not problem booking dinner reservations at any of the restaurants: I would call repeatedly starting at 8 and would get through within 7 min or so. We found the food in the restaurants better than at the buffet and they always had a kid’s menu. I had sushi everyday for lunch and loved it. Please note that you likely did not pay Club Med prices for this resort so set your expectations reasonably.....we found it just fine. And no one got sick....the staff is always washing their hands and there are people cleaning all the time.

-we were in adjoining rooms 1635-1636 of the older building. The view was amazing and the sunrise worth getting up for! The rooms were spacious and kept clean. Our room did smell moldy when we first got there. It was a bit overwhelming but we aired it out and the smell went away fro the most part within 24 hours. It is hard to imagine how to avoid this problem in such a hot and humid place.

-We liked being in the older building. Although their was nightly entertainment in the lobby and the noise carried up, it was always done by 11-11:30. The kids had no problems sleeping through it and we sat on the balcony and enjoyed a drink. We would leave the balcony door open and mostly heard the sound of the ocean crashing. We liked being in this building as everything was easily accessible: most restaurants and shops are in this building, the kids lounge was in this building; bar in lobby....

-The resort had a couple of stores where you could buy sun shirts, little gifts, or snacks not available through the hotel (e.g., chocolate). All were reasonably priced....comparable to what we would pay in Canada.

-In the lobby there is a lounge called Collage: It has comfortable seating and off of this lounge there is a kids play area with 2 ping pong tables, air hockey, wii (Sports), X Box 360 (Fifa), arcade games (5 pesos), and a pool table. It was a great place to come and play with the kids before dinner or to have a drink while they played. Off this area there is a small movie theater and they show children’s movies (e.g., cars 2; harry potter) 3 times a night 6, 8, 10pm). Great set up for both the kids and parents.

-Room service was great. We would get them to drop off bottled water (and sometimes snacks) nighty. We never had to wait more than 20 minutes.

-A common complaint we read about before coming was the availability of chairs by the pool or on the beach. We again did not have significant problems getting chairs. Having said that, this is a big resort and although there are probably hundreds of chairs by the pools, this is not enough to accommodate everyone....it is on a first come first serve basis. Same thing with the beach...the sand is beautiful (and comfortable!) set reasonable expectations. The beach was spotless at the beginning of the day and would get a bit dirty by the end but there was always staff picking up after people who couldn’t be bothered to clean up their own mess.

The only Recommendation for the Hotel is that they put up signs near each elevator, reminding people keep their voices down and be considerate of others who might be resting. I have found this to be an issue at many different resorts/hotels....people talk in loud voices at all times of the day and night as they walk down the hallways. Thankfully, as this is a family resort, it was not a late night issue but more something we noticed in the early morning.

5  Thank Maggie P

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Returned from a 2 week stay at the Crown Paradise Club yesterday. I have no idea what people eat at their own homes when they complain about the food here. There is a huge variety in the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the a la carte restaurants were certainly ok, too. Everything was fresh and well prepared. We stayed in a "club" room, which had a great view and a really nice bathroom - did not see the standard rooms, so don't know about them. The only complaint I have is about the people who stay there, lots would reserve chairs at either the beach or at the pool by 6 in the morning, and they they did not show up till noon! We have traveled extensively and we enjoyed our stay there very much.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank breezybender
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Just spent a week at the hotel. Had a great time, but there's some things you have to know. First to get into the resturants you better be on the phone at 8a.m. SHARP!! If not you wont get a reservation. You better be at the pool saving your pool chairs by 6 a.m. or you wont get a chair for the day. Good thing I'm an early riser and saw this because I would not have known this trick. They give you beach towels for as many people in your family but beware if you save your beach chairs with these towels because if someone takes them their is a 35.00 charge for the towels. I suggest that you save your seats with t-shirts and some magazines. If you dont get into the resturants it's okay because La Palapa the buffet style resturant that is open to all is very good with the food changing everyday. The people who work at the resort are very helpful and nice. My kids had a great time and the weather was awesome. Bring LOTS of 1.00 dollar bills because you will be tipping till your eyes pop out. Everyone expects a tip for everything. If you run out of change at the end of the day ask a bell boy or bartendar for change for a couple of 20's they always had change for us. The rooms left a little something to be desired but how much time do you plan on spending in your room anyway. Dont be afraid to take public transportation (the bus) it only cost one american dollar, goes very fast and is safe. Just tell the busdriver where your going and he will stop and let you off. We hit the outdoor market and the outdoor mall, it was very nice to get out of the resort for awhile. I suggest the Aquaworld snorkling, AWESOME!!!! Try this hotel we had a good time but take my suggestions it will make things a little smoother.

12  Thank LauriePortchester
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This resort has different areas and activities for children of all ages. Food was good, better than we expected... The staff was very helpful... We really enjoyed our stay there and definitely recommend Crown Paradise to anyone!

2  Thank Rumbaaaa
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We arrived at CP at 9:pm. I had previously confirmed 2 weeks earlier by phone and email that we had a pool/ocean view room on either the fifth or 7th floor. We also had a dinner reservation for the seafood restaurant for 9:30 . The reception guy chats with another employees for about 15 minutes before being willing to talk to us, despite the fact we have 2 very tired little ones with us. He takes so long to look at our completely prepaid reservation that he causes us to miss our reservation for dinner (& believe me , there is no mercy with being a minute late here, even if the restaurant is almost empty) and then adds insult to injury by giving us a dump of a room on the 1st floor with a view of an abandoned hotel. Front desk guy apologizes for dinner by saying we can have a hot dog or some nachos at the bar area. By now we are ready to just leave , but with 2 small children at now 10pm, that isn't really possible. The next morning when I arrive to meet "Nancy" the "Jefe" of the operation at the front desk to say we are going to have to contact Expedia & seek a different hotel, there is suddenly availability for the room we paid for. I strongly suspect they attempt to give the abandoned hotel view rooms with rusty bathrooms & dirty floors to most new arrivals to test the water & see if they will just take it. I spoke to many other guests in our 9 nights that had experienced the same thing. Some said they had attempted to squeeze another $50 per night to get a non dump view room.. Moving on, we were given a very nice room on the 5th floor that was fine & we had great maid service. All the bar people are friendly & nice & fast. There are plenty of outdoor pool & beach area bars & food & it is all pretty good. The food at the buffet restaurant is very good too, & due to the system of dining at any of the other 4 restaurants, ( you need to call a tele extension, nobody in person to talk to, that is almost always busy from the allowed hours of 8-4. for a reservation, no exceptions) Main problem with the buffet is they simply do not have nearly enough tables for this huge resort despite the fact they try to force you to eat there instead of the other restaurants. They also do not have enough of the people that work very hard to clean & service the tables. If you are going to tip here (even though gratuities are supposed to be included) these are the employees who deserve it most. The best restaurant is Wayne's Boots, Server Mario in particular. This was the only restaurant that we felt the people working there were genuinely positive & friendly. You know when you are getting a fake smile right? For example at Gallos , the "Mexican themed" restaurant, my daughter ordered chicken enchiladas, they were clearly cooked wrong & actually had super hot Jalapenos in them . She couldn't eat it. I tried 'em I I couldn't even eat them & I love hot stuff. The waiter actually refused to get anything else & stated it was hotel policy to only allow one order, whether the food was acceptable or not. The hotel also allows people to take beach towels out in the middle of the night & lay them on virtually all the good pool area seatung to "reserve" them all day long, even if they never use them. After the first couple of days I just started taking the towels off where I wanted to sit & putting them in a pile on another abandoned but "reserved" lounger. Also , all beds in all rooms have the hardest mattresses you have ever laid on.
Long story short, if you want to ruin your vacation you waited so long for & paid so much for, stay here. The facilities except for the dump view wing are good , but the management is terrible. This was my first all inclusive & will most certainly be the last. We did visit several other hotels & decided if we return we will try the Gran Melia. It is as amazing inside as out.
This was a long review, but hopefully it will help out another family avoid what we went through.

Room Tip: Refuse any abandoned hotel view room or any room on 1st floor.
3  Thank alaskaviking
ljuliot, Marketing Offices at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Dear Hotel Guest,

On behalf of Crown Paradise I would like to offer you my apologies. You very clearly did not have the vacation experience we would have wanted for you. We take great pride in giving the best possible service to our hotel guests and providing memorable vacation experiences. It is with regret that I read your review here on Tripadvisor that is not in line with the true spirit and values of our hotel.

For your missed dinner reservation and for the mix up with your room your first night I apologize. It appears that these errors set the tone for the rest of your stay with us. Please be assured that your comments have been received by our management staff and your claims will be carefully investigated and the necessary changes will be implemented. We are continually striving to do better and give our guests better service.

I pleases me greatly to know that you did enjoy the food and our bar areas and found our facilities to be pleasing. I hope your children were able to take full advantage of our many activities and that as a family you were able to enjoy many of our amenities and services, such as the family water park area, our beautiful infinity and the incredible natural beauty of the white sand beach.

It would be our pleasure to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and to provide you with the incredible vacation experience that we are so proud to offer. If you would ever consider giving us the opportunity to change your mind and show you what we are really capable of please contact me to assist you with your reservations, ljuliot@crownparadise.com.

Lisa Juliot