“Piknik, don't miss!!!”

Pik Nik
Price range: USD 8 - USD 13
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Mexican cuisine restaurant, located in the heart of downtown Cancun, two blocks from the bus station, and 15 minutes from the hotel zone (taking Route One, R1). Pik Nik décor is casual and full of color, on the terrace you can enjoy a local and family ambiance.Restaurante de cocina típica mexicana, localizado en el corazón del centro de Cancún, a dos calles de la central de autobuses, y a 15 minutos de la zona hotelera (tomando la Ruta Uno, R1). Pik Nik cuenta con una decoración casual y llena de color, en su terraza podrás disfrutar de un ambiente local y familiar
Reviewed 2 June 2012

It took us awhile to find this restaurant downtown but I'm so glad we did! The ambiance was great---I was surprised that we were about the only patrons dining at the time. The food presentation was very beautiful and yet the prices were totally reeasonable! VERY good food, wonderful service, and Luis the owner took the time to meet us and was very warm. We're kicking ourselves that we didn't go again!

1  Thank Erika O

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Great service!

The food is just so-so; except for the soups which are good. We have a fun time when we go there but that is mostly due to the really nice staff. As far as the food itself, it’s not that great but; none of the restaurants serving Mexican? food in Cancun are very good with the exception of a few that specialize in fresh seafood. Anyone who reads the rave reviews for Pik Nik (or the other Mexican restaurants) should take careful notice of where the reviewer is from; Plymouth MA, Halifax Canada, Darien Connecticut, Letchworth United Kingdom , etc. Not exactly hotbeds of Mexican cuisine. I live in Houston TX where we have thousands of very varied types of Mexican eateries. Pik Nik wouldn’t last six months there. The food just couldn’t compete. I’m not trying to belittle any of the reviews, the reviewers, or where they’re from. I'm just saying; I wouldn't hesitate to write a review on a Fish and chips place in England or a Lobster house in MA but I wouldn't know if I had eaten great renditions of that cuisine or real slop. I'd have to reserve judgement on whether or not the food was fantastic until I checked with the experts from that locale. I could tell you whether I had a good time.

I plan to go to Pik Nik again, but not because the food is delicious. I’ll go back because I’ll be in Cancun and the food and drinks are very inexpensive, the surroundings interest me, and the staff are very accommodating. The seating is mostly outside, on one of the streets adjacent to the downtown square (behind Tulum Avenue on the walking street where Burger King is). If you don't like the hustle and bustle of local folks out with their kids, this is not the place for you. If you do like seeing how regular Cancun families spend a night out, this is a great place to people watch while enjoying moderately priced, reasonable food.

5  Thank Tim P
Reviewed 18 May 2012

My bf and I went to Piknik in downtown cancun for the third time during our many trips to cancun.  The food was as good as we remembered it to be.  Since the last time I was there I have become a vegetarian so my choices are now somewhat limited.  However, I was able to order a veggie enchilada which had fresh vegetables including onions peppers mushrooms and broccoli which was a treat because other places only had mushrooms when ordering veggie plates.  In all, the food was great with good portions at a great value.  The owner Lois and waiter Jobani are very friendly and welcoming which makes it even more enjoyable to eat there.  For the families out there, you should head done here because only a few yards away from the restaurant  is a fun town square with many local families with music, cotton candy, and food carts.  They also have for rent small remote or battery operated cars for children to ride around in the town square.  We have also seen in the past live bands that the  locals dance the salsa too.  It is so much fun to watch and soak in a bit of their culture.

1  Thank saltygirl32
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We stopped in for dinner after discussing the menu with one of the servers. He was fantastic! He went out of his way to explain the dishes and make recommendations. He even brought us a map of the city as it was our first day there and showed us where to go and where not to go. Oh, and the food was DELICIOUS!!!! Fantastic tacos. The nachos are excellent as well. They even brought us a tequila shot with our bill! We sat on the patio so I didn't even see the inside. It opens onto a pedestrian only street that leads to a square (where there are festivals) so great there is a great atmosphere. Highly recommend stopping at Pik Nik if you are in Cancun.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

Definately worth the taxi or bus ride. The prices were right, food was great and the service was excellent. The staff was so nice to our children. We will definately return here when we go back to Cancun.