“Cancun Veteran”

Ranked #39 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Maple Grove, MN
“Cancun Veteran”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

This was my parents 20th+ trip to Mexico, my brother's 11th, my 10th, and my boyfriend's 1st.

My Family of 5 stayed in Mexico from 3/25-4/2. Ages: 56, 53, 23, 23, 18. We did a split vacation with the beginning half at the Barcelo Maya Beach Palace and ending at the Omni Cancun. Both were all-inclusive. (See Barcelo reviews for comparison).

This was my second time to the Omni and my parents sixth. This is a great family friendly resort and has a slow pace. The property is 22 years old and can at times show its age.
We stayed in a villa this time, but have stayed in the standard ocean view rooms as well. I personally prefer the standard ocean view rooms. The villa is three stories with a main living area, kitchen, and ½ bathroom on the walk-out level, two bedrooms and two bathrooms on the second floor, and a bedroom and bathroom on the third floor. All-in-all, 4 bathrooms and 3 bedrooms each with a balcony that were very nice and clean. The ocean views are only OK from the villas, as you have views of the other villas (with the exception of the end units). There are no screens on the sliding glass doors which prevented us sleeping with the door open (couldn't listen to the waves crashing on shore). The master had two bathrobes. There was plenty of closet space and dresser drawers. The rooms are not overly spacious, but are comfortable.

The food was FANTASTIC with much of it made to order. The Pina Colada has been a long time favorite, even when staying at other nearby resorts. You can order many great menu items (we suggest the shrimp and mushrooms in chipotle sauce). The poolside grill was also delicious. Many American-style items on the menu. The buffalo wings were my far the tastiest. Great fries and onion rings too. Viva Mexico is the taco grill. We all enjoyed a quick bite here before shopping. Great shrimp/steak/chicken tacos (barbacoa is not so great here). The breakfast buffet at La Paloma was far superior to the buffet at the Barcelo. Made-to-order omlettes, eggs and quesadillas. So yummy. The French toast was also to die for. We had a mimosa for breakfast every morning and those were great too. My only qualm about the restaurants is the service. Be prepared to wait. Staff also looks stressed and overworked.

Much of the beach is back from when we were here 5 years ago. Tons of room to pull up your chair in the sand or to play beach volley ball. No need to wake up early to fight for a spot. Boogie boarding is definitely worth the $3/hr. Great waves and a ton of fun.

This was a great vacation, and although the Omni is one we would recommend, we might try something new next time (back to the Fiesta Americana or Barcelo resort chain, perhaps?)

Recommendations:
Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach
Fiesta Americana Condesa
Omni Cancun Hotel and Villas
Royal Sands

Room Tip: Standard ocean view rooms are great! Villas are so-so.
2 Thank BeachBum8502

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bloomington, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We recently stayed here with my family, wife and three kids 9,9,5. We had a 3 bed 3 bat villa and the space was more than adequate. The only complaint I would have on the space is that we called and asked for a beachside villa (closer to the ocean) and even asked when checking in. We didn't get one. That wasn't that big a deal but it would have been very nice to have. As it stands we could see the pool and a small view of the ocean.
The food was OK to good. Different themed nights in the main dining area. We ate by the pool a few times including the sushi, which was pretty awesome.
Service was good, but you should tip more than you think. Drinks took a while by the pool as there were so many people waiting.
Location was good, we only ventured out once but its only 20 mins from the airport and 5 mins to La Isla, mall, and other places.
It was a bit expensive but we booked through AMEX travel with airfare so its hard to tell what it costs but we paid somewhere around 6.5K for 5 nights and airfare.
One issue I have is the lady from Best Day travel, tour company, in the lobby. We booked a trip to Xel-Ha, highly recommend, she quoted me $321 (107 per adult, 50% off for kids and my daughter was free) for all 5 of us including transportation. She then ran my card in pesos and charged me about $347. That's pretty shady. So while that has nothing to do with the hotel, be warned.

1 Thank jbihun
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 10 days and had a wonderful time. The complex is simply stunning and spotlessly clean and the staff are so helpful and friendly. All the restaurants had lovely food plenty of choice. The drinks are brand spirits, unusual for AI. Cocktails were scrumptious. I forgot to bring my IPad charger but was provided with one from the conserve, so very helpful. The management have got everything right in this complex, well done and we shall recommend and return.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank scottishthistle21
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I’m founding out that writing a good, cohesive and informative review is not that easy.

We have traveled to many destinations in past 20 years but it wasn’t until this trip that it occurred to me that to some a 2 star hotel is great, perhaps that's all they can afford and would never stay below 3 or 4 stars.

For us Omni was great and this is what the staff did for us. We arrived around 1030 and with check in at 1500 we were told we had to wait but that we can use any facility we desire. So we went to lunch at Pina Colada at the beach. It was buffet breakfast, but so what - didn't have to cook! And I had a Mojito with my pancakes.

At about 1130 we checked back and got our room. My wife wanted shower before we went out but the tub didn’t drain well and flooded the bathroom. The staff moved us to another room. After this things just better and better.

Event during a "spring break" period the resort was not noisy at all. There were only a handful of students. It was mixed crowd families with kids, young adults and young at heart.

I don't know how some can say food was average. No one is ever going to match your mom’s cooking. I mean if you're a high flyer, go somewhere where they cater to your standards. There was plenty of variety to choose from. I really enjoyed the available cocktails.

Someone posted that towels had to be returned by 1700, that wasn't the case with us. We were told we can keep them over night.

What really made the difference for me was the staff. It is very true that if you learn few phrases in the particular tongue, it will go a long way. Each time I interfaced with the staff I started with a little Spanish I know. If I didn’t know a particular word I asked in Spanish “how do you say ‘blank’ in Spanish?” This seem to go a long way. Every one of the staff members I spoke with was very friendly, some remembered us from previous encounters. One waiter even asked us about how we like the Thai meal he served us the day before.

Having this kind of experience, it didn’t bother me that there were not enough umbrellas around the pool or beach. I could have woken up early and claim one or ourselves but then I wake up early every day, so this was not important.

I was puzzled by the “all inclusive” aspect when we were told we have to pay to rent a cabana on the beach or that snorkeling gear or buggy board was for a fee, but this was at a place called Aqua World which had shack on the property (Aqua World is a third party establishment that offers activities). But once again all-you-can-drink (and eat) made up for this shortcoming.

Would I recommend Omni? Yes, off course.

Room Tip: Sign up Omni Gold level membership to get free Wifi.
2 Thank rishozbratislavy
Porland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

To be fair we were put up here when AA cancelled our flight, so we didn't pay but for a lost day

It's all inclusive except for booze Internet and anything to eat outside the buffet

The food wasn't terrible but it wasn't good. The drinks cost $10 and are weak probably for the benefit of the guests who paid for the booze included option note the brown wrist band

The Internet costs $15 and is glacial