Club Med Cancun Yucatan
Sun Palace(Cancun)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
6,460 results
All reviewswater skiingcircus teamcar washjade buildingcrazy signschef de villagela haciendabeach boysflying trapezeland sportstennis lessonswaterski teamjade poolwake boardinglas cazuelasaqua gymsnorkeling area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My husband and I did a quick 4-day trip and just got back on Aug 30th. The club is beautiful and nicely decorated. It is spread out and provides two beach options and plenty of things to do. We relaxed on the beach, went out on the catamaran, played tennis, went snorkeling, and even played ping-pong.

The beach by the water sports is really rocky and appears to me as if no one ever bothered to clear it up after the hurricane a few years ago. But we were able to find a spot next to the bar and sit in about a foot of ocean that was clear for hours at a time just relaxing.

When we got there, hurricane Isaac had dumped 3-feet of seaweed on the beach on strip-side of the club. It took them all 4 days to clean it up. I know it wasn't Club Med's fault and they did do everything they could to clean it up, but I think they dragged their feet a bit. Of course it was completely cleared the day we left :-(

The fact that you couldn't swim in the ocean really brought to your attention that the pool is just inadequate. It is a round pool-nothing else, no nice design, no lounge area in the water, no winding path to follow for something to do. It was just a round pool. Since all the kids and their parents were in the pool b/c the beach was covered in seaweed, you couldn't even relax. So, we went back to the beach area on the water sports side and stayed there.

As our experience with Club Med in the past, the water sports GO's really didn't seem that interested in doing their jobs or helping us learn anything or really even making sure we were going to be safe. The GO in the shop was kind of rude.

The drinks were full-strength and not watered down, but most of them didn't taste right. Even their "drink of the day" was off. Finally resorted to Amaretto on the rocks! GO Alex made the best Amaretto Sour!

The food was very good and had a good variety, at least for the first few days. Toward the end we were buffet'd out! The specialty restaurants were very good. The steakhouse was phenomenal and we both had a great steak that was perfectly prepared!

We were especially impressed with GO Javi (Reception), GO Hassan from Canada, Eddie (Beach Boy), Alex (Bartender), and Maria from the main restaurant!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracy S
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear Tracy S,
Thank you for sharing with us about your stay at our resort. We are so glad you loved the variety of activities and food we have to offer. We apologize for the issues you unfortunately experienced and will be addressing them immediately. Please know we are constantly looking for ways to improve and appreciate any feedback our guests may have. We are glad you had a relaxing stay and hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

I am not one to write reviews very often, but having been here twice in the past year, I felt they deserved it.

Our first trip was with our family of four (5 and 7 year old) and 5 members of my wife's family. Circus was a favorite and my kids really liked Joe (who is now doing sailing) and Audrey (No longer there at all). Carlos and the bar staff quickly learned my kids' names and their favorite drinks. The big negative from that trip was discovering that premium drinks were extra. It was a short trip 5 nights, so we did not plan to leave the resort and ended up spending quite a bit on drinks. BUT, everything else made up for it, and we quickly decided to go back this past August to celebrate my 40th.

We were in the village from 8/24 - 9/2 and included 12 people (kids 6 and 8). What can I say, before we checked in, the kids ran to the bar to see if Carlos was working, we were pleasantly surprised to see how many faces we recognized, and we were more excited than before we arrived. Within days, the kids felt very comfortable with the mini\kids clubs. My mother joined us and took advantage of everything, she really liked Joe (Formally of Circus) who gave her a sailing lesson. During both trips, the village was not very full, and plenty of GO's took an interest in us and our kids. My wife broke her arm 2 weeks before the trip, and was obviously limited in what she could do, she spent the majority of her time in the lounge by the pool, and commented that they made a great dirty banana (I can't remember the bartender's name, but he has been there for 20+ years). As I mentioned we went for my 40th, and I brought Miracle Berries with me to try with my family. The head chef and the sous chefs prepared a special plate so we could go flavor tripping, while they had never tried it before, they took time to understand what it was we wanted to do, and prepared a perfect selection.

Pros: Friendly GO's, plenty of activities, plenty of common area activities, housekeeping (we were rough on our rooms between sand and children (Thanks Marina)) and the shows (Did I mention the shows?)

Cons: No premium alcohol (we brought our own this time), desserts were okay but nothing to write home about, Car-wash kids at the Chezpah (even without them drinking), need more air conditioning at least in the theater.

Special GO's that deserve a shout - out

Mini\Kids Club GO's
Houda - Thank you for arraigning a great experience for the kids
Mao - it was great sharing the stage for the Portee during the kids show
Julie - having remembered you from our previous trip, we knew the kids were in good hands
In no specific order, Glenn, Sandra, Sol, Annie, Rachel and Mathieu - you all played a part in my kids vacation (and mine by proxy)

Marc (Land Sports), Elie (Tennis), Carlos (Bar), Joe (Sailing), Poncho (Set Design), Fernanda (Car-Wash), Jona (Fitness), Eden (Sound), Javi, Elena and Stephanie (Reception), The bar staff at the lounge and Chezpah, Armando (Dance), Roberta (Circus Show) and I am sure I am missing a few - we enjoyed hanging out with you all and all I can say is Whoop, Whoop, Whoopeee (Imaging I am doing a one man wave).

Room Tip: We had a room half way between tennis and the pool. with the exception of water skiing and circus is is well situated. Ask to face the lagoon
1  Thank ToddSussman

Dear ToddSussman,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our resort. We love that you've visited twice in one year! We're so happy to know you enjoyed our circus and other activities and found our staff to be fantastic. We apologize for the issues you mentioned and will be addressing them as soon as possible. Thank you again for the review. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 4 September 2012

The location of the resort is spectacular. Where else can you go to waterski, sail, windsurf, snorkel, beach volley ball, fly on trapeze, play basket ball, water aerobics, pool activities, or bask in the sun on a beautifully sun drenched beach, all before dinner. Then enjoy a lavish buffet, a drink at the bar, watch a good natured family oriented show, and dance the night away until 3am beside a beautiful beach with a pleasant breeze. Or just turn in when ever you like. Our 17, 15, and 13, year old children had a wonderful time, and we felt very relaxed that they were very safe. There was amble security on the grounds giving us piece of mind. This was my 8th club med vacation, my wife's 7th, and our families 5th, and it will not be our last. As usual Club Med delivers the right amount of amenities and comfort with a lot of spirit... Thank you Club Med for making our vacation all it could be once again...

Room Tip: If you have a problem ask for help they will accommodate your needs..
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

Dear SlChris,
Thanks for the kind words! We love that you and your family have visited Club Med multiple times and have always found our resorts to exceed your expectations. We especially love that you appreciate all the activities we have to offer and that you feel safe and relaxed whenever you visit. Thank you again for your review. We can't wait for you to return!

Reviewed 3 September 2012

My family of 5 and my brother-in-law's family of 6 just got back from this resort. We all had a fabulous time. Room was not luxurious, but we had plenty of room and it was very clean. The food was wonderful - everything delicious and no shortage of choices at each meal. Staff was very nice and attentive - a few language barriers prevented us from fully communicating sometimes, but eventually everything got straightened out. Pool area could be improved - adding a waterslide or a lazy river or something would make the pool area more fun. Entertainment is great - although for us a little on the late side as the main show did not start until 10:30 p.m. But everyone is very enthusiastic and its all a lot of fun. Staff giving instruction are top notch. We did not use the kid's club at all, but our kids were so busy with their cousins and all the activities that we did not need the clubs. Everyone goes out of their way to make sure you are having a fun time and have everything you need. All in all, I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to any friends looking to vacation in Cancun.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Tapocia building are in a good location - central to most of the resort. Higher floors have better view.

Dear Arizabell,
Thanks so much for leaving a review for us. We're so glad you found our staff, food, and activities to be wonderful. We also appreciate your insights as we are constantly looking for ways to improve. We are so happy you had a fabulous time and hope you visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

The place is nice and clean... A bit slow when it comes for service around the pool, but the rest is just great. Beach is very nice. Restaurant is OK. Peolple are friendly... Most of them. Pool is also OK.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank the_traveler_69_10

Dear The_traveler_69_10,
Thank you for posting a review about our resort. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and loved all our resort has to offer. We apologize for your experience with our pool service and will be addressing that as well as the additional concerns you mentioned immediately. We are constantly improving to ensure we surpass every expectation our guests may have, and we very much appreciate your feedback. We hope to see you again someday!