“Great Atmosphere. A little overwhelmed.”
Review of JC Capitan - CLOSED

JC Capitan
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We enjoyed the atmosphere at JC Capitan. The food was ok but I think based on the volume of patrons that night, the staff seemed a little overwhelmed. I started with a hot scallop appetizer. I noticed a waiter going table to table with a plate of food and being turned away. He came to our table and asked if we ordered scallops. We told him yes and he placed the plate down and walked away. It looked delicious but it was Ceviche. I notifed our waiter when he returned and he fixed the situation. The breads and butter were wonderful. I had their spicy noodle soup next. It was interesting. The noodles were thin like angelhair but chopped up. It was in a tomato/onion sauce with a wedge of melted cheese and a slice of avacado on top. Again, it was interesting but I dont think I would order it again. For my entree I ordered the lobster pasta in diablo sauce. It was good. I love lobster but was not a big fan of the lobster chunks in the pasta. It was rubbery. The sauce was delicious though. Overall a nice restaurant with a wonderful atmosphere.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

We enjoyed sitting out on the pier in the lagoon - gorgeous setting, perfect service, and good food. We were there just a twilight and I did get some mosquito bites on my legs, so if you plan to sit out on water, you might bring insect repellent.

1  Thank oregonirish
Reviewed 8 February 2012

For an excellent quiet dinner or lunch with great atmosphere, slight cool breezes and great food this is the place in Cancun. Located at the south end of the hotel zone - the quiet end - easily reached on the R1, or R2 bus on the lagoon side. Very good seafood with generous portions and vegetables cooked to the crispier side not soggy. Try the shrimp stuffed avacado starter - different and delicious. If you are very lucky you might see a crocodile. This is a nice place for a romantic dinner in one of the more private palapa covered hyts on the water or inside the beautiful huge palaps roofed restaurant. Excellent service - formal but friendly and welcoming. Some other restaurantsalong the lagoon are very pricey and much noisier. This one is a gem. We will definitely return - mains from 160 pesos at supper.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

Wife and I spent our last evening, great service, fabulous food. The sunset was romantic. Price was just right for this location. We will dine here again without a doubt.

Reviewed 2 February 2012

JC Capitan is one of my favorite restaurants in Cancun. It is really beautiful - an open deck with a thatch roof and beautiful wood floors on the sound side. The seafood is delicious. Try the sea bass or the popeye fish. Both are delicious. I come here at least once a year and I've never been disappointed.