“Horrible, horrible latte ...”

Cafe la Antigua Gourmet
Ranked #158 of 584 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Reviewed 22 March 2018

'Walked by yesterday, March 20, 2018, and the aroma of coffee coming out of this cafe was exquisite.

'Went back today, March 21, 2018, for a latte. (And a pear tart.)

It's a cute place! Service is good and they have WiFi, but ... don't expect your latte to even be drinkable. Mine was HORRIBLE. You know how sometimes the coffee is just too mild mannered, or it's luke-warm, or it's scalding hot?!? And then there's ... bitter, nasty, god-awful tasting coffee. Right!?!?!

That's what my latte was like. It was hard to believe that someone would pull a shot of this espresso, add milk, and put in on a table--and then charge me for it. I "used" a part of it to help get my pear tart down (which was just fine, by the way). But I left 3/4 of it there.

My recommendation? Avoid, avoid, avoid, avoid, avoid.

(For a very GOOD latte: A.M. Siempre Cafe. 'SUPERIOR to what Antigua is putting out.)

1  Thank South_American_Male

Reviewed 31 January 2018

I agree with the other reviewers --- we stopped here for coffee and the menu did not seem too interesting -- however, we ordered a few things. They were surprisingly large for the price, beautifully presented, and delicious. It took us a while, but we ate it all!

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

We dropped in for lunch and the menu wasn’t all that interesting. However, were advised by a patron that this is a great spot for breakfast. Boy was he right! Great egg dishes with a Oaxacan flair, etc. Good coffee too. We plan to return soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

We went here for breakfast. The coffee is pretty good, and the fruit bowl that i had was huge! My husband had the Mexican style breakfast and he was satisfied as well.

Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

We have eaten at the number 2, the number 4 rated, and many more restaurants in Oaxaca and Cafe La Antigua far surpassed all of them in quality of their food. The strawberry/orange juice was fresh and full of flavor, the coffee/latte was by far the best we've had in the state of Oaxaca, and the mole sauce was full of flavor, but not too rich, with just the right amount of picante bite in the end. Be sure to try the orange marmalade with your toast! I have not a single criticism; even the service was great!