“El Destilado was our best meal in Oaxaca!”
Review of El Destilado

El Destilado
Ranked #3 of 584 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Price range: USD 10 - USD 55
Description: Tasting Menus with Reservations (Tues. - Sun.) Mezcal Tastings with Appointment Happy Hour 5:00 - 6:30
Reviewed 24 September 2018

We came to this magical city knowing we'd experience excellent dining, and trust me, we have! But tonight's meal at El Destilado was everything I love about fine dining. The atmosphere was well curated, and I love the way most of the ambient lighting came from several burning handles. We were seated at a table for two, which leads me to my one criticism - our table was right by a noisy refrigerator. I asked if we could move tables, but the only other option given was the bar. We were the only people in the restaurant at this moment and no one else came to sit at the other tables for the rest of the evening. Note: to management -- let appreciative customers who have reservations sit where they want in an empty restaurant. We of course got over this unfortunate moment because everything from this point onward was stupendous. The welcome cocktail and the mezcal cocktails we ordered were unique and delicious. The our first selection of the 6 course tasting menu came out, and after one bite, we knew we were in for a treat. Every course there after was spectacular: flavorful, well balanced, intriguing. I love this kind of dining experience because I end up tasting things that are unusual and delicious. During my meal at El Destilado, I was surprised by the combinations, but so satisfied with how the flavors worked together. Victor our waiter was attentive, but not overly eager. He took great care of us throughout our meal. The outstanding chef, Valerie, was informative, meticulous, and so thoughtful. She even gave us little jars of special sauces as parting gifts. The standout courses were the pulpo tacos, the linguini, the fish, the egg and corn appetizer, the stunning chocolate dessert. Oh and the presentation was jaw dropping, but not overdone. It was perfect, actually. Everything looked as good as it tasted and visa versa. We return to Oaxaca in April, and El Destilado is first on our list of restaurants to visit.

3  Thank JenniferB8115

Reviewed 8 September 2018

We arrived to Oaxaca in the afternoon, hungry after the whole day of driving, so we were looking for a place to eat something big. The restaurant is very nice and the staff is also very polite. We were a bit disappointed because of the menu - they only had about 12 different meals to choose. The food was very good, but it was a bit more expensive than we expected. In general, I think you can find a restaurant that offers you more food for less money, but I still think that this restaurant is worth visiting, especially if you are looking for a bit fancier lunch/dinner. But you won't find some typical Mexican dishes here - which is also good, if you are getting a bit tired of Mexican food.

1  Thank Anže V
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

We went there on a Saturday night and ate at their rooftop taqueria, food was delicious and servings generous!
Mezcal margarita was perfect.
The rooftop space and music were great for our night out in Oaxaca City.

2  Thank CG-EJS
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Wonderful experience. Restaurant was much smaller than expected so make sure to reserve in advance. Service was impeccable. We selected 9 course food and wine pairing and each complimented each other perfectly. Only did not like 1 organic wine from
Italy seemed off balance. All other alcohols were local, even serving plates were from local artisans. Truly a memorable evening.

2  Thank nancyo585
Reviewed 17 August 2018 via mobile

Outstanding cuisine from Chef-Owner Julio who has brought Michelin star knowledge and creativity from San Francisco to the Oaxacan dining scene. Pro tip: tasting menu with pairings. Kudos!

1  Thank Mark E