“Such a fabulous experience”
Review of Que Rico Es Oaxaca

Que Rico Es Oaxaca
Ranked #1 of 27 Food & Drink in Oaxaca
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The best way to enjoy traditional food of Oaxaca through an enjoyable, funny interactive and hands on cooking class in which traditional cooking techniques with fresh and warm flavors are involved in traditional cuisine. Previous appointments contact me by my email. Small deposit to book reservations.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve known that Oaxaca is the home of great mole. For years I’ve wanted to go to Oaxaca and take a cooking class to learn how to make it. I chose this class because I loved the idea of a small class, going to the local market and then going back to cook the dish. Alphonso does such a nice job with this. His menu options are fantastic! He is a very experienced chef that truly knows his craft. You know how you know? He calmly makes the complicated seem like you’ve got this and he calmly takes you right thru it. He’s really gifted. To top it off? His family could not be kinder. They’re simply the real deal. We fell in love. Do this. You’ll love it!!

All reviews
"buy ingredients"
"chocolate ice cream"

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

What a sweet family business this is. I love taking cooking classes whenever I can when I travel and this was by far one of the best. We were able to get into the class a little last minute since I was reluctant to book with a standby flight ahead of time but I knew this was the one when we wanted and hoped it would work out. Alfonso messaged back super quickly and efficiently to get our spots in the class. I think this was also luck as they were booked full for the rest of the week. It’s not the cheapest or the most expensive and it was a perfect price for the class.

Unlike some classes that scoot you out of the way half way through to do the “real cooking” this is from start to finish. Alfonso is very easy to talk to. He was very informative at the market and answered all my pesky questions that I had from the day prior when going to the market on our own. He adjusts to all cooking levels with patience and ease and was very adaptable to any food allergies or concerns that one of the daughters had that was in the group that day. His parents are completely charming and gracious, offering cold beers and tastes of a few mezcals after the meal. Quietly cleaning up and making everything run smooth. They’re definitely the stars behind the show.

To top it off, I had a lot of things to take back with me to the hotel and forgot a memento on the table. Later that night he swung by and dropped it off at our hotel!! So sweet and unexpected. We felt like guests instead of customers. It was great.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We have just finished the cooking class with Alfonso and his family, I can not recommend it enough! It has been our favourite day in Mexico so far. Alfonso was great at communicating with us from our first email enquiry, picked us up on time from our AirBnB and then took us to the market to buy ingredients for our cooking class.

We met his mother, Noemie who was helping the group and they were both so friendly. They took us to their house and made us feel right at home, we also met Alfonsos father (who was hilarious!) and spent a couple of hours making traditional Mexican food, then eating together and having some Mezcal afterwards.

Altogether we spent around 7 hours with Alfonso and his family, the time flew by because we were having so much fun. They are such friendly and hospitable people and it was a brilliant day, also much cheaper than other cooking classes in Oaxaca. I cannot recommend this enough, you will have a great time!

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

If you’re on the fence about taking a cooking class & spending the extra money, just do it!!
Taking this cooking class was the highlight of our trip, my mother in law couldn’t stop saying how it was a 10/10.

Such an amazing day filled with delicious food, family, & laughs. We can’t wait to try to make mole negro here at home, we even bought the chiles Alfonso recommended and brought them back home. Thankyou Alfonso & family!

See more reviews
Reviewed 16 March 2018

Chef Alfonso of Que Rico Es Oaxaca corresponded responsively and communicated easily in English. He picked me up punctually at my apartment at our agreed upon time, and we drove as a three-person class to Mercado de Abastos, where he began his instruction. As a class, we first agreed on a menu from a long list of possible starters and main courses, and then entered the maze of vendor stalls overflowing with fresh produce and other locally grown provisions. As Alfonso moved systematically through the market, he described and purchased the ingredients for our pumpkin and squash blossom soup starter and mole negro main course. One of the students was vegan, and Alfonso conscientiously and expertly accommodated her dietary requirements.

As soon as I stepped into Alfonso’s spacious, spotless, well-equipped, and artfully decorated kitchen, I knew this was going to be an educational and flavorful day. We were introduced to his gregarious father Poncho who offered us beers and lovely mother Naomi, who outfitted us with colorful aprons and headwear and graciously assisted us throughout the day. Under Alfonso’s direction, we chopped, toasted, and blended our ingredients harmoniously into a perfect symphony of flavor, texture, and color.

As with any complex sauce, it takes time to simmer mole negro down to its full dark color and velvety smooth consistency. While we waited, we made Oaxacan hot chocolate, a popular non-alcoholic beverage. For something a little bit stronger, we sampled some smooth and earthy homemade mescal. Along with the drinks, we were offered homemade chips and guacamole, along with fried and seasoned grasshoppers, a popular Oaxacan snack.

When our mole was ready, we plated it with a chicken leg, deep-fried plantains, cubes of queso fresco, and squash flowers. Together, we sat down to share the sweet, spicy, smoky, and nutty essence of our complex and multi-layered mole negro. Throughout the day, Naomi photographed us cooking and enjoying our authentic Oaxacan meal. At the end of the day, she sent us the photos, Poncho presented us with personalized gifts, and Alfonso sent us the recipes to remind us of our fun and educational cooking experience with Que Rico Es Oaxaca.

Been to Que Rico Es Oaxaca? Share your experiences!