See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 April 2015

Stayed on the 4th floor, the sides of the bed were so worn that I felt like I was rolling out of bed all night, and I needed a chiropractor the next day to get my hips right from sleeping off balance all night. We booked two rooms, both smelled like old socks, this place is in need of major renovation. Wi-fi doesn't even work well in the lobby, I don't understand why hotels do not invest in decent internet repeaters in this day and age, they are so inexpensive. Front desk staff kept telling me the internet password, and seemed put out when I asked them to write it down because I couldn't understand how they were slurring it, truly not impressed and I've stayed in plenty of budget hotels here in D.F. e.g. next door things were much better.

Room Tip: Book a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We never got to stay here because the desk clerk, (a man) gave us erroneous information. We checked on a Wednesday for the following Friday. The clerk told us there were rooms. We asked to make a reservation and he told us they would not make a reservation, He told us just to come back on Friday and we would get a room. We trusted his information and so did not look for other possibly hotel rooms which we could reserve.
We returned on Friday and the clerk (a woman), told us they were full. When we related the story the previous clerk gave us, she just shrugged her shoulders.

This put us in a very uncomfortable situation of possibly having no where to stay right before a weekend. It was also very rude and inconsiderate, as well as not businesslike. The clerk could have either told us they were full, or let us make a deposit on a room for 3 nights. We would have been happy to make a deposit, but were not allowed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margi S
Reviewed 16 March 2013

This hotel is low priced and offers a quite comfortable stay. We looked at other hotels costing one third more and felt what we got at the Rioja was just as good as the higher priced hotels. We took a room on the top floor which meant that we had to walk on one flight of stairs. But it was worth it because the room was very quiet. The hotel is very near the Zocalo and there is a great breakfast restaurant right across the street

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jedastmp
Reviewed 21 January 2013

This Hotel is a real mexican style low-budget at is best.
Located perfect i calle cinco de mayo and very close to the Zocalo and Plaza Alameda.
Many good places to eat close the hotel - even a 24 hour dinner place opposite the hotel.
The room is basic and simpel - but clean quiet and for the price of 300 pesos its a great deal.
The reception is friendly and very helpfull.
Free internet - and there is tv in the room
If you on a budget this a great place to stay.

Room Tip: try to get a room with a window
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank viking0
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a few days during Christmas week 2011. It was recommended by some friends who always stay there. You can't beat the price and the location. It's close to the zocalo, transportation, and many restaurants. The staff were very friendly and helpful. My only complaint is that our room didn't have a balcony or a window (not even in the bathroom), so it seemed humid and claustrophobic. If you can afford a bit more, go up a block to Hotel Gillow.

Room Tip: If you don't mind street noise, try to get a room with a window or balcony.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends