“Nowhere near as bad as it's made out here...”
Review of Hotel Polanco

Hotel Polanco
Ranked #266 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 10 February 2012

After reading the recent reviews, I had a lot of trepidation about staying here for 2 weeks while working nearby (I'd moved from a similar place near the Angel to be closer to our office). While I would rather have been at the W, Intercon or JW Marriott, all of which are nearby, I really couldn't complain.
My room - 316 - was large enough and recently refurbished. Everything was comfortable and clean, and there was a big new flatscreen TV with some HD channels. The staff were friendly (I speak Spanish), and the surrounding area is great. You're one block from the French embassy, a block from lovely Lincoln Park, and 2-3 blocks from the city's most glitzy shops.
Gripes: no wi-fi, so you have to use the 'business center' downstairs which has a couple of desktops, breakfast is a joke (mini-muffins, sunny delight and coffee laid out on a table near reception, and fyi, the Italian restaurant next door shuts at 7pm on Sundays. The restaurant is wonderful, and there's a side entrance from inside the hotel lobby - but you can't charge meals to your room.
To sum up: clean, friendly and perfectly adequate in a very fancy neighborhood. But if you're looking to treat yourself, look a bit more upmarket (and spend a bit more).

Room Tip: Interior rooms have no view, but may be quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Dan77Caracas
There are newer reviews for Hotel Polanco

Reviewed 22 December 2011

The price is low, compared with the luxury skyscrappers in the surrounding neighborhoods, and there is a good reason for that. This hotel looks very provincial and badly needs renovation.
The hotel has an Internet site, providing online reservations. However, I am not sure that anybody noticed the reservation that I placed and prepaid. Fortunately enough a suitable room was found.
With all that the room was clean and the staff polite. The neighborhood is green and quiet, probably one of the best one can find in the city.
Internet connection was free and fast.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2011

This was my third time staying at the Polanco and was possibly the worst. My room had a tiny, backdated, poorly designed bathroom. I could not sit in the toilet without banging my nees with the lavatory.
The room was not clean, had pubic hairs in the sheets, and had a "dirty" smell.

Location is great, restaurant is good, but the overall experience is very poor.
I hope I never stay there again-

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Viaticatus
Reviewed 1 January 2011

This was my second stay at this hotel; the first stay was just a quick one nighter; this time I stayed for two nights.

The hotel, as other reviewers have noted, is dated and old. I stayed in a room on the 2nd floor which proved to be quite noisy--you could hear the street noise quite easily and it woke me up once in the middle of the night.

The room I stayed in clearly was extra space converted to a room. When I sat on the toilet my knees banged up against the wall; and I'm 5'11--not that tall!

The bed was absolutely terrible, rock hard, if I had a sleeping bag I would have slept in it on the floor and probably would have been more comfortable. The lighting in the room isn't that great either; especially if you plan on doing some work by the meager desk.

I opted to stay at this place because the other big chains in the area seemed real expensive especially for Mexico City. But avoid this place. It's basically got the charm of a Motel 6 or Super 8.

The only positive about this place is the adjacent Italian restaurant (which isn't owned by the hotel) is a pretty good place for dinner.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank travel49424
Reviewed 31 December 2010

I was quite disapointed. The rooms are very noise, no clean in the bed. They don't accept credit cards to payment.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business