“Good staff, expensive food, clean rooms, small pool.”

Camino Real Polanco Mexico
Ranked #69 of 313 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 5 January 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights after a 5 week trip to see family, and have stayed in Acapulco Diamante Camino and Aeropuerto Camino, amongst others in previous trips - this is the best out of all of them. Good choice of restaurants, which although expensive are overstaffed which is always good and have a good selection of food. The room we had was lovely (apart from the stained carpet and foot poof which had yellowy patches on it) bathroom was spotless, and service was excellent. Maybe it's because we look Mexican so they like us, but we had an outstanding bellboy; friendly, helpful, smiley etc etc. My sister also got extremely ill during the night with a stomach bug (we all ate the same so perhaps not hotel food related) and promptly threw up everywhere. We phoned reception and within 2 minutes, 4 maids came in, bought in a new matress, changed the bed, left clean towels and flannels, phoned for a lovely doctor, and left. V impressive at 3am. The following day after our dramatic night, my parter and I chose to stay in and have room service for breakfast - 4 fried eggs, 2 scrambled eggs, toast, youghurt marmalade, hot chocolate, coffee and breads set us back £120!!!!!!! Maybe they have to make up for the free apples they serve in reception... a service we promptly took advantage off after the hyper expensive brekkie... Then we took a dip in the pool - all fine (various suicidal crickets floating in the water - standard) except that the hand rail and right hand side of thethat was going round the pool was covered in cement splatters, where they were re rendering the wall above and hadn't taken due precautions, and then hadn't bothered to clean up. It's a good hotel, with some nice staff, clean rooms and ok food, but not amazing value for money, and very westernised.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,275)

Reviewed 13 November 2010

This hotel ticks the important boxes for me: clean, quiet, safe, and a good sleep.

My room was very clean and the bathroom was a pretty standard for a Western 4-star hotel.

However, a number of my colleagues have mentioned that their rooms were quite noisy with either traffic or music so I suggest that you ask for a quiet room upon check-in.

Which brings me to the next point: the check-in/check-out process takes an extraordinarily long time; hence you often see a long queue in the lobby. I'm not sure why hotels don't invest in systems to allow for a quick process because this is the second impression for guests (after the lobby).

There are plenty of restaurants and bars so you're sure to find something to your taste (and price). You can also walk out the front of the hotel; turn right; and walk about 100 meters to a convenience store but seek advice regarding safety (I felt very comfortable during the day).

If you have patience for a long check-in time (then again, you might get lucky), I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2010

One of our collegues adviced us to stay here. The location is is really good, close to the main Paseo del Reforma and what is important a safe surrounding! Nevertheless, the Hotel needs some fresh air, it is rather dark in the rooms and also in the hotel. The entrance is very modern, but service further a bit difficult! We had acces to the lounge, but there it was more just a separate room whe they had a small breakfast and at night
some free drinks. Almost not visited as no people there. The Camino Suites and Club is the same hotel as the normal Camino Real. But again not worth 5 stars and for sure never a leading again, may be it once was..... Directly at the Paseo del Reforma you find more and much better Hotels like the Embassy Suites and The St Regis!

One positive thing, in the inner square they have a nice outdoor swimming pool ansd not to forget the italian restaurant inside with exellent coffee!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Casey*NL
Reviewed 17 October 2010

This hotel, supposedly a 4 star, had the worst hotel room I have stayed in for a long time. The room stank, and so every day the maids sprayed it and all other rooms with a noxious smelling air freshener to cover the smell. The furniture was dirty and beaten up, and looked to be 20 years old. While the public areas are nice, the conference rooms are also old and smelly. Finally, the restaurants that I tried (2) are over priced and the food mediocre at best. For the money, there are much better choices in the Polanco area.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2010

I was attending a week long conference with people from all over the world. First impressions when I arrived late at night and very tired were, amazing public spaces, friendly reception staff and huge wide corridors. As the week went on I found two staff in particular very helpful Victor and Ishmael who provided answers to numerous questions and gave maps and directions (perfect service). Some of the down points. Internet connection was both expensive and appalling - most of my fellow delegates had the same problems. I had cash stolen from my purse and a colleague had cash taken from his bedside table (both smallish amounts). We are both to blame for leaving the cash out of the safe however I was very upset to know that someone had rifled through my handbag. Hotel reaction was poor and handled badly. So please ensure all of your valuables go into the safe at all times! Breakfast was fantastic and the staff efficient and helpful. I used the pool in the dark every morning and it was very pleasant (the altitude meant I had trouble sleeping). Like another reviewer I had a very dark room looking onto a wall and in retrospect I really should have insisted on being moved. The hotel is in a fantastic location so do try and get out and walk as much as possible. Just such a huge city it is hard to comprehend how anyone gets around in the traffic!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business