1,381 results
All reviews ricardo legorreta blue lounge chapultepec park club level polanco area big hotel room service bit dated rooms are huge restaurants and bars anthropology museum horta tamayo conference president gym concierge
Reviewed 13 August 2007

I stayed 6 nights at this hotel that was booked for me on a recent business trip to Mexico City. My feelings are mixed. I had a good stay and enjoyed the daily use of the gym and pool in the morning. However, breakfast is not included (225pesos pp), nor is wifi or internet connection throughout the hotel. You can get access per 24 hours (160 pesos) or bit less if booked throughout your stay. BTW wifi was extremely slow. So you may want to consider going to any of many available places like Starbucks/VIPS for well priced breakfast AND free wifi...

As a frequent traveler I find it irritating when its clear that they try to earn some bucks on the most basic things.

Furthermore, the lighting in the room was terrible.

The hotel itself is very well known and there exist several other Camino Reals in Mexico. Having stayed only at this one I would advise staying at some of the other 5-star hotels in Polanco. Also since the location of Mariott /W /Nikko is closer to wider choice of restaurants and bars.

There are several restaurants and bars available in the Camino Real itself and did try some. Coffeeshop was good, there is a cool bar on water (although smokey) but at the time they did not even have a menu so you have no idea what your drinks are costing until you get the bill. I also tried one of the restaurant (China Grill) -admittingly good food and very creative but expect at least 1000pesos pp. You can eat as good and better for less in some of the better restaurants in Polanco, Condesa and Roma. Tipping is expected by everyone and everywhere.

All in all interesting to have stayed there once but would not book it myself again if up to me.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Marybel13
Reviewed 22 July 2007

Hated the hotel. The halls were dark and smelled of the obnoxious cleaning solution. The rooms had poor lighting and even worse "desk space" -- definitely not set up for a business traveler. Not enough light in the bathroom to put on makeup! While there was not enough room light during waking hours; there was way too much at night while trying to sleep. The flourescent light over the room door bled into the room and met up with the neon sign light coming through the window curtains; had to sleep with my airline eye mask. This coupled with the rock-hard bed with sag areas along with the rock hard cheap foam pillows made for the worst night of sleep ever in my years of business (and personal) travel. While the hotel was close to the office, the convenience could not overcome the hotel's problems. The food was "ok". The gardens were beautiful. My 3 traveling companions hated the hotel as much as I did -- we all moved to the Intercontinental after 2 miserable nights here.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank AtlantaTravelingirl
Reviewed 22 June 2007

The hotel is a work of art. Beautiful, spacious, airy, timeless architecture. The rooms are very clean, good size and had wonderful large marble bathrooms. The bed was more comfortable than my own. Definitley the most comfortable I've slept on in all my travels to Mexico. The hotel staff was courteous, helpful and spoke excellent English. I got a decent internet rate of $140USD per night. The restaurants located in the hotel were upscale and pricey (think New York City). We had beers in the wonderful bar off the lobby, but ate all of our meals at the neighborhood restaurants.

The Chapultepec neighborhood where the hotel is located is safe and provides many options for eating, drinking & entertainment. We had breakfast each day at a local diner called Los Bisquets. The food was excellent and moderately priced, $20USD for two people. We had dinner at a small food court called Cactus Bar which was immaculately clean, inexpensive and had the best tacos I've ever eaten (thanks Don Guerro!). The cost was around $15USD for tacos and beers for two people. We also ate at a very small, romantic Italian restaurant called L'arlecchino. The wood fired pizzas & pasta were excellent. The ambience was perfect (until they turned on the TV!). Service in each of these establishments was excellent. There were also several bars in the area, including an Irish pub, all which were very lively. During the day, we walked a few blocks to Chapultepec Park which is an oasis of green in the city. There is a castle which sits high on a hill overlooking the city which you can walk through. Many families come to the park on Sunday to socialize and enjoy the day. I highly recommend exploring the neighborhood and I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: June 2007
5  Thank WorldTravellerr
Reviewed 9 June 2007

I was recommended to stay at Camino Real by a friend, who has been staying there for years. The hotel is located in a very safe area and the property is very nice, with a lot of restaurants (they even have one that is open 24 hours) and the rooms are huge.

Anyway, that is what you expect from a 5 star hotel, though on the other hand they dont have many things to do inside the hotel apart from the swimming pool and a gym. The internet wireless conection was terrible (and i was on a business trip!), so I had to use a network cable.

Everybody is very polite at the hotel (well, everywhere in Mexico people are very polite) and they are always willing to help.

I give Camino Real 4/5 because although it is a great hotel and the price is really good ($150) I think they should update the facilities to be a real 5 star hotel. The architecture is great but a few things such as the internet conection can ruin your view about this hotel. Anyway, maybe it was just my laptop!

I encourage travellers to consider this hotel as a serious option because anyway, if you go to Mexico City to visit the place, what you need is a comfortable place to spend the night... and Camino Real is the best option with such a low price.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Davico
Reviewed 3 May 2007

Great location. Excellent services and restaurant. Very nice rooms. A truly luxury hotel at the price of a basic hotel in any large cities in the US or Europe. The only complaint is they screwed up my bill. Otherwise a perfect stay.

• Stayed: April 2007