1,370 results
All reviewsricardo legorretablue loungechapultepec parkclub levelpolanco areabig hotelroom servicebit datedrooms are hugerestaurants and barsanthropology museumhortatamayoconferencepresidentgymconcierge
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This is my second review of the Camino Real Hotel in Mexico City. My last review was in Sept 2011 and I returned again for a 7-day stay.

When travelling to Mexico, my accommodations are usually set by the in-country home office so I usually don't find out where I'm staying until I arrive in Mexico. This hotel is selected due to it's close proximity to our office.

Remembering that I almost fell down the steps on my first visit to this hotel, I was very cautious when I arrived. The lobby was still a wonderful place. Well kept, well lit, plenty of things and people to see, and the view was impressive. Based on the lobby alone, you would think you were at the Waldorf Astoria in NY.

The hotel staff was exceedingly friendly and spoke English. Check in was speedy and when I exchanged some money, they gave me a good rate.

As I'm familiar with the layout of the hotel, I found my room easily and my luggage arrived at my room quickly.

The rooms at the hotel need to be updated. There was peeling and chipped paint in the room. As you walk in, there is no obvious odor or anything that will stands out as being out of place. The layout of the room is good and the ventilation works well.

The bathroom is large and the shower is unique. There is a walk-in shower only. There are no bathtubs. There is only a glass wall for the shower and you need to place a towel at the shower entrance or water will soak the main bathroom floor. The water pressure is fine and the water temperature was great. I would caution visitors to make sure the shower mat is in place firmly because the shower floor can become quite slippery, (it is granite), and you could lose your footing. The bathroom supplies were fine and the towels were in great shape.

Now for the bad part.

Call me naive. I've been travelling to Mexico on business trips for almost 13 years at the time of this post. I was completely unaware of the legality of "ladies of the evening" in Mexico and found out about them in what I would consider to be an aggravating manner.

After a 20-hour day at the office, I had gone to the hotel and crashed hard. I'm very surprised that anything could wake me up. But around 3AM, I was awakened by some really loud partying coming from the next room. I was confused for a moment and thought I had fallen asleep in a club, but quickly realized that I was still in my room. The people were loud and after awhile, I could smell the cigarette smoke coming under my door.

A phone call to the front desk was something that I thought would solve the issue. The noise continued for at least another hour.

I finally dozed off around 4AM only to be awakened shortly around 4:30 to the unmistakeable sounds of male and female "intimacy". Banging on the wall with my shoe bought some solace but the headboard, mattress and box-springs didn't seem to get my hint.

So having to take the walk down the hall to the front desk to get away from the noisy racket wasn't something that I relished. It's a long way from the rooms to the front desk and so grabbing a person to go back and tell the neighbours to quiet down, made me a very unhappy guest.

I got about another hour of sleep before I had to start the day, so I was not in a very good mood. The next evening was quiet and I was able to sleep through the night.

The fourth evening, I was staring at the wall again as another party was taking place in the room next door. I called the front desk again and told them that I didn't know that I had asked to be booked into the room next to the "Freaks of the "Week" and somebody needed to come up and tell them to be quiet.

The front desk was much more receptive and moved very quickly. I heard them knocking on the door and the noise did quiet down.

But there has to be something done about the noise levels in the rooms. Walking down the halls, you can hear what is going on in other rooms. After this stay, I feel like I was staying in a "Love Motel".

Even though I had a negative experience in the room, I think the hotel restaurants were wonderful. The China Grille was awesome. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding.

I don't remember the name of the other restaurant that I ate in , but the food was great there.

Room service food was hit or miss. I don't recommend the hamburger. It was awful. The club sandwich and salads were very good. Room service took an average of 20 minutes.

The hotel needs to be updated and sound-proofed. Because of the restaurants and staff, I give this hotel an average. If rated solely on restaurants and staff, this would rate a "very good or excellent". Because the rooms need updating, I have to rate the hotel as only average.

The area is safe. There is amazing art and structures around. A little updating and this can once again be an excellent value for the money. Right now, the hotel is over-priced for what you receive.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Hotel Staff are very friendly and aim to provide great customer service. The location is solid, Polanco is safe and close to both museums and several other high end hotels and restaurants. The hotel is a bit older. The only issue I had was the distance from the lobby to my room. I would swear it was a quarter mile! That being said, I can always use a good walk for some exercise.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms close to the lobby or you will need some good walking shoes.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I fisrt stayed here in 1985 and several times since, and again in June 2012. They have kept the hotel in great condition. I can recomend this hotel for any type of stay to Mexico City.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Pat73fromCT
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This is a great hotel, modernistic exterior, many courtyards and many of the rooms have balconies. My room was VERY large - the king sized bed looked tiny in the room. The bathroom was also very large and well appointed. The layout of the hotel is best described as rambling. I had to take many twists and turns to get from the lobby to my room.

The hotel seems to be popular for small conventions and seminars. The President and First Lady of Mexico were there for a function while we we there.

Handicapped accessibility is poor, but that's typical of almost everywhere I've been in Mexico. The rooms are pricey, but we got a great deal online. My pet peeve with pricey hotels - why can't you provide free internet! Seems like the more a hotel charges for a room the less complimentary items you get! Luckily there is a VIPS restaurant about 2 blocks away that provide free internet.

There are numerous restaurants in the hotel, but most are expensive and, I think, over priced. We did find a Mexican Restaurant in the hotel that was reasonable and had excellent food.

The hotel is within a short walking distance to the Museo Nacional de Antropología. It is worth the visit. The original Aztec calendar stone is located there.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2012

old-fashined rooms, nice lobby - that all good about this hotel

Room Tip: look for another hotel- stay away from this place
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple